RMweb

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

49 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Hope the snow isn't causing major problems for the RMWebbers down in Oz.

Baz

What snow? On the left coast its a balmy 20something degrees and I'm wishing I'd put me shorts on :D. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

Snow? None here in Melbourne. It's only in the high country, where those that want it have to pay through the nose and need to drive for a couple of hours. 

• Like 1

Not that much snow causing problems. The bigger problem is the very strong winds which disrupted airports and temporarily halted ferries on Sydney Harbour.

The wind chill along the east coast has been bitter.

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

Not for me - just gales and rain in Sydney this morning. For once Melbourne had better weather when I arrived (very late).

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/weather-bureau-issues-warning-for-sydney-drivers-amid-gusty-winds-rain-20190604-p51u6c.html

Edited by St Enodoc
Link added
  • Like 1

Hearing much on the news in Blighty of the police raid on ABC's offices.

Questionable targeting of journalists isn't uppermost when I think of Oz, a curious turn of events for sure.

C6T. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Questionable targeting of journalists isn't uppermost when I think of Oz, a curious turn of events for sure.

C6T. 

This is equally disturbing. A whistle blower of the ATO (Australian Taxation Office) is facing 161 years jail!

https://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/i-feel-like-i-almost-died-ato-whistleblower-breaks-silence-on-facing-161-years-in-jail-20190531-p51ta5.html

• Friendly/supportive 1

Are these two stories a new phenomena in Australia Kevin? Par for the course in the States, natch. 

I'm tempted to suggest some sort of dubious conspiracy of an Assange rendition/Trans Pacific Partnership led "deal" betwixt your Govt. and the Satsuma in Chief, but that's Jason Bourne territory...chuck Huawei in the mix though...

C6T. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

There's been quite a lot on Radio 4 today about the story and also a raid on a journalist yesterday. It seems a bit murky

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Doesn't it, whilst the Murdoch propaganda machine wends its merry way...

C6T. 

They might take a different tack on this one given that it was one of their journos who was raided on Tuesday and another radio journalist who works on a rightwing shock jock radio station in Sydney was pressured to reveal his sources for a story:

Just hours after the Australian Federal Police raided the home of high-profile journalist Annika Smethurst, broadcaster Ben Fordham has revealed he’s also being targeted for his reporting.

The 2GB Drive presenter and Sky News contributor revealed he was the subject of a probe over his story yesterday about six asylum seeker boats attempting to reach Australia.

An hour after his report went to air yesterday, his producer was contacted by an official from the Department of Home Affairs to advise the material was “highly confidential”.

“In other words, we weren’t supposed to know it,” Fordham told listeners today.

“We were told Home Affairs would investigate the disclosure and they would like me to assist that investigation.”

He was contacted again last night by “senior officials” and again this morning, when he was told Home Affairs had initiated an investigation that could lead to an AFP criminal investigation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Well that is surprising Monkeys. Seeing as Fox in the States is basically the Whitehouse's mouthpiece, I dunno what's going on in 'Straya then.

C6T. 

As they are here in support of the conservative side of the fence. I'd guess they'd be feeling a bit miffed after they did their bit filling their papers with all the not-quite balanced anti-Labor stories  prior to the recent election, which resulted in a surprise Liberal win...

(As may be seen by these recent events Liberal here doesn't necessarily mean liberal)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

They might take a different tack on this one given that it was one of their journos who was raided on Tuesday and another radio journalist who works on a rightwing shock jock radio station in Sydney was pressured to reveal his sources for a story:

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'd guess they'd be feeling a bit miffed after they did their bit filling their papers with all the not-quite balanced anti-Labor stories  prior to the recent election,

That's intesresting. Murdoch's media empire is like a juggernaut and the worldwide power it yields is incredible. Very true Mr Monkey - I'm very surprised at the events and timing given their support for the new regime during the recent election campaign. Certainly seems a messy business. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the UK you have a place called Rugby. Well we in Australia have a place called Ruby too. However you'll never drive through Rugby in the UK as fast as I did through Rugby in Southern New South Wales.

• Like 3

For those that fear coming to Australia because of our wildlife, our wildlife may find you rather attractive and may even try to "chat" you up like this Lyrebird in Healesville Sanctuary. At 3:16 is the call of a Currawong. A Currawong is bigger than a Magpie but not as big as a Crow or Raven. Nobody knows what the Lyrebird's own call is. He mimics other bird calls plus other sounds too. In his performance for this man was a kids toy laser gun. But they also mimic other everyday sounds from chainsaws used by home owners to hammers, nail guns, hand saws, car alarms, camera shutters, camera shutters with a motor drive etc. It's all done for love. The bigger and broader his range of sounds the better the chance he has of getting a female mate. This bird however is rather desperate maybe because all the female Lyrebirds have heard it all before and are no longer impressed.  

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 3

In June 2018 I had a brand new kitchen installed. But a lot of the wall lining in the kitchen was asbestos laden fibro as were the kitchen floor tiles. I had to clear out of the house for the special removal team to safely remove old the old asbestos material. So I took some holidays from work and went up the north coast to Coffs Harbour. I drove from Coramba to Dorrigo and this video is just part of that journey. It's really beautiful country up there and with a high rainfall very green. Not like the usual Australian countryside which is brown. My car (which I still have) is shown at the end. I'd love to drive it in the UK although the country lanes maybe a problem.

• Like 2

The roads in Australia can be a real torture test for any car or 4x4. This one in particular is usually regarded as a 4x4 road only and then only in the dry season. However 2wd cars have taken it on and made it too as this video shows with an old 1994 thrashed out ED Falcon.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

For those who wish to come to Australia be careful when near railway bridges. This advert was done on an old Railway bridge since demolished on the freight only line near Mascot airport. It's also a subtle anti smoking ad.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Funny 4

This advert for Marshall car batteries is also railway themed. It was filmed on the Castlemaine and Maldon Railway in Victoria The car is an XD Falcon and the locomotive is a Victorian K class 2-8-0 No. 160. "Holler for a Marshalls"

• Like 2