RMweb

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Only in Australia could they name a popular soft drink after an unpopular and potentially lethal critter! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cream_float

I was brought up on "Spiders", and when I came to the UK, I couldn't understand why none of the kids here had never heard of them.

They had also never seen "Gilligan's Island" either, and "lollies" got me something I totally didn't want (on that freezing February morning) when I went into the local corner shop!!

Kev.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Only in Australia could they name a popular soft drink after an unpopular and potentially lethal critter! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cream_float

2 hours ago, SHMD said:

I was brought up on "Spiders", and when I came to the UK, I couldn't understand why none of the kids here had never heard of them.

They had also never seen "Gilligan's Island" either, and "lollies" got me something I totally didn't want (on that freezing February morning) when I went into the local corner shop!!

Kev.

When I was a nipper (here in the UK) we used to have soft drinks delivered to the door. On hot days we used to have something similar to the ice cream float, a dollop of ice cream in a glass of Corona cream soda.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/03/2023 at 18:00, rockershovel said:

Nope.... still  the spiders...

Oddly enough it's upside down but it stayed there all day. But by the time I got home from work that night it had gone, where to?, haven't the foggiest. That's quite a small one for I've had one double that size clinging to the gable on the garage.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, SHMD said:

Kev.

Oh, we'd heard of Gilligans Island, but the premise was so ludicrous that it wasn't that interesting, even to six year olds...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

When I was a nipper (here in the UK) we used to have soft drinks delivered to the door. On hot days we used to have something similar to the ice cream float, a dollop of ice cream in a glass of Corona cream soda.

Yes. The Corona man came around every week and he wasn’t delivering beers. Nor a virus. You got money back on the empties as well but they had to have the screw cap back on; that was supposed to prevent you scavenging bins for empty bottles. 

And yes to a dollop of ice-cream in Corona cream soda or lime “fizz”.  A spider by any other name. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

6 hours ago, SHMD said:

I was brought up on "Spiders",

Dad would take me to the lunch counter at Coles in the CBD for a 'lime'* spider.

* So violently green it looked like something from a comic book radioactive source.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

8 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Yes. The Corona man came around every week and he wasn’t delivering beers ... yes to a dollop of ice-cream in Corona cream soda or lime “fizz”.

Stout floats (ice cream float on stout) were a popular dessert offerings in Northwest brew pubs for many years.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I'm not a snake expert but those head markings make it look more like a juvenile Red-Naped snake, which is only slightly venomous, thereby robbing the story of a bit of its "Australia is insane!" kind of vibe.

But I could be wrong so dont go poking it. 

image.png.b855c8dfaf2fbf47368a6d03e36d3805.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Dad would take me to the lunch counter at Coles in the CBD for a 'lime'* spider.

* So violently green it looked like something from a comic book radioactive source.

Named after a band from Sydney in the early 80's, who are still playing,  - give it away, grandads!

In NSW we hived off red cordial spiders into a seperate  sub-group called a Fire Engine. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Oh, we'd heard of Gilligans Island, but the premise was so ludicrous that it wasn't that interesting, even to six year olds...

YEah I could never work out why an island 3 hours from the US was never searched for survivors either, until I figured out it was probably in the same unexplored mysterious part of the ocean that also contained that island where a dad and his sons had knocked up a huge organisation of rescue vehicles,  many capable of space travel, and regularly despatched them into space and all around the world, always sufficiently fueled and maintained, the whole lot  hidden from the rest of the world who had no idea who they were or where they came from because  their rocket launches were cunningly hidden by a row of retractable palm trees and a swimming pool that slid aside.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

13 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I presume you mean the band was named for lime spiders. My comprehension of "lime spider" certainly predates the 1980s.

Just having a lend of ya! Though electricity was definitely named after AC/DC .

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

25 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

YEah I could never work out why an island 3 hours from the US was never searched for survivors either

But according to the theme song, it was a three hour trip which means only 90 minutes out, a distance of probably 15 miles and then back again.  Even with the violent storm, they couldn't have ended up more than 40 miles from where they started. Not exactly a big search area, especially as they ended up on a remarkably large island...

Of course, if the stranded trippers had gone a few bays to the east, or west from where they washed up, they would have possibly bumped into one of the Traceys out for a morning walk!  🤪

• Funny 2

40 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But according to the theme song, it was a three hour trip which means only 90 minutes out, a distance of probably 15 miles and then back again. 

The opening harbour scene in the credits was filmed in Honolulu (Ala Wai Yacht Club, near Waikiki) and the setting is intended to be tropical.

The Bahamas would be a good location for overlooked / 'hidden' islands close to the mainland.

I don't know why Fleming set his Crab Key (Dr. No) in Jamaica rather than the Bahamas - particularly since Dr. No's malfeasance was toppling US space launches from Cape Canaveral - for which the Bahamas are far better suited and Jamaica is certainly not. Bimini is only 50 miles due east of Miami.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Americans aren't noted for their grasp of international geography, are they? Then again, Area 51 is basically Tracey Island in Nevada...

Radioactive green pop always makes me think of chip shops. I well remember the ice cream in cream soda as a summer treat! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...