RMweb

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

In parts of the USA, the opposite is true, there being an equal number of voting places per county, so large city areas get 1 voting place, a small rural town gets 1 as well, so the queues vary.

I'm not so sure about that. There is a Texas law that limits drive-up ballot boxes (for absentee ballots) to one per county - meaning Harris County (Houston) only gets one. This is different to polling places for in-person voting.

In most places, absentee ballots can be returned via the US postal service, or in secure drive-up ballot boxes. In Portland there was one incidence of a US Mail box being vandalized shortly before the election. Press reports indicated that there were ballots in the mail box at the time. Tampering with the mail is a federal offence.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

It does have some fairly disturbing points though such as the FAQ where it asks:

Are the armed people near my polling place a militia?

One presumes you have seen the television coverage of so called election-watchers outside drive-up, absentee ballot boxes in Arizona.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

One presumes you have seen the television coverage of so called election-watchers outside drive-up, absentee ballot boxes in Arizona.

IF those are the guys who stand in a group on street corners cuddling their assault rifles then yes I have seen them....  

Going back to Georgia, this line in the FAQ's is not very reassuring:

The law against unauthorized militias has seldom been litigated in court and is rarely, if ever, enforced in Georgia, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has previously reported. With this in mind, it is unrealistic for voters to expect peace officers to arrest unauthorized militia members on the spot. 

Imagine - voters expecting the police to arrest a bunch of menacing blokes  with AR-15's standing around menacingly - , its not  " woke"  Europe!   (unless they look muslimy, then let u know and  we'll send the tanks!)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The Aussie habit of making elections a fun thing to attend reminds me of 18th century England...

an-election-entertainment-by-william-hog

(Hogarth; An election entertainment, 1755)

Vote for meeeeeee.....

What are women and children doing at an election? It was men only and whatever the local criteria was required - owning a hearth I believe?

Looks as organised as Gloucester station in break of gauge days.

gloucester-break-of-gauge-passengers-luggage-changing-platforms-1846-WR74Y8.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The Aussie habit of making elections a fun thing to attend reminds me of 18th century England...

an-election-entertainment-by-william-hog

(Hogarth; An election entertainment, 1755)

Vote for meeeeeee.....

First we have to make it through The Gauntlet.

image.png.0dff75aa10d35927f3611674900e6861.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Last State election, after I'd done that, I had to queue for half-an-hour to get into the hall itself.

• Friendly/supportive 4

42 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

What are women and children doing at an election? It was men only and whatever the local criteria was required - owning a hearth I believe?

Looks as organised as Gloucester station in break of gauge days.

gloucester-break-of-gauge-passengers-luggage-changing-platforms-1846-WR74Y8.jpg

Probably servants and harlots, lots of appetites to satisfy...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 08/10/2023 at 18:28, monkeysarefun said:

I've given up running the gauntlet at elections although when they've tried to thrust their sheets of coloured paper into my hands I just say "no, please, no autographs!" Now I pre-poll going early in the morning about 8.30 on a weekday when there's hardly anyone around and party volunteers are just setting up their poster stands. That's what I did for this referendum and many others have too. It's quick, easy and hassle free. The AEC has FINALLY moved to computers where they ask your name and address because with the old paper lists of name and addresses people could go to many other polling places and vote multiple times. But with the computers they can't because every polling station will show after the first one that you've already voted and that you can't vote again in that election. Every eligible voter gets ONE chance to vote and ONE chance only. This idea that voting is compulsory is a myth put about by the AEC to make sure people got to vote. You only have to have your name and address crossed off the list and you don't actually have to vote if you don't want to. You just go through the motions and you can leave the ballot paper blank, write anything you like on it, draw a picture or actually vote. It's up to you for your name is not on the ballot paper nor is there a CCTV camera above you watching what you do. No AEC official has the right to look at what you've put on the ballot paper. This is why it was called the Australian ballot because we invented it. It's a secret and you don't have to tell anyone who you voted for. Even in an important election if the issues warrant it and media people are outside the polling place and they ask you who you voted for, you can tell them to mind their own business and there's nothing they can do about. In the current referendum those that want the people to vote for it have been trying the guilt trip approach, but we Aussies are a cynical bunch and the head goes back and people often say "oh yeah well I'll decide which way I vote not you".           

• Friendly/supportive 1

How about these two beauties often seen clinging to houses. Our good ol' Stick Insect which is completely harmless. Their camouflage is perfect when on the ground or in a bush for they really do look like just another eucalyptus twig. I was mulching up some prunings and one was in the barrow so I picked it up and put it in a plant as i wouldn't want it to go through the mulcher.  

Stick Insect. JPG.JPG

DSC01170.JPG

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, faulcon1 said:

The AEC has FINALLY moved to computers where they ask your name and address because with the old paper lists of name and addresses people could go to many other polling places and vote multiple times. But with the computers they can't because every polling station will show after the first one that you've already voted and that you can't vote again in that election.

Apparently this is only for early voting. On the day itself, the old paper list, pen and ruler are still in play. I learned this last week when i voted early because I'll be out of town on Saturday.

No, nor do I.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

2 things. 

Absolutely nothing to stop anyone taking their own writing implement, no one says you must use their pencils.

Pencils are used, because leftover ones will still work next time round. It is really simple economics. 

If someone surveys you as you come out, either tell them to Nick off, or lie to them.

In fact give them the choice - either way your answer will be equally useless to them.

The ballot is secret for good reasons. 

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

The AEC has FINALLY moved to computers where they ask your name and address

They did that at the last federal election. I voted early and out of my electorate. It was all done electronically and they didn't even have House of Reps ballot papers on hand - they were printed as required. The bath towel Senate ballot paper was pre-printed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Having worked as a poll clerk in many UK elections I can tell you that leaflets handed out outside polling stations are not allowed to be handed out inside the polling station and most political parties* obliged with that rule. The only political party reps allowed in the polling stations were the candidates and their agents though the tellers from each party were allowed into the entrance. (The tellers are allowed to take note of who has voted and just that). *The only political party that ignored the rules was UKIP, the presiding officer asked the person doing so to stop, he still continued until he was ejected by a police officer. The chief returning officer had a few words with the UKIP agent after the election.

For your enlightenment.

Chief Returning Officer. Responsible for running the election, usually the council CEO.

Presiding Officer. In charge of the individual polling station.

Polling Clerk. Checks the voters against the polling list and hands out the polling papers.

For the political parties.

Political Agent. Runs the campaign for their party and candidate.

Teller. Usually sit in the entrance of a polling station noting who has voted, these notes are collected several times during the day. Mostly there is no animosity between the tellers despite their political differences. The only one who was an outcast was (again) the UKIP one who refused to speak to the others.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Having worked as a poll clerk in many UK elections I can tell you that leaflets handed out outside polling stations are not allowed to be handed out inside the polling station and most political parties* obliged with that rule. The only political party reps allowed in the polling stations were the candidates and their agents though the tellers from each party were allowed into the entrance. (The tellers are allowed to take note of who has voted and just that). *The only political party that ignored the rules was UKIP, the presiding officer asked the person doing so to stop, he still continued until he was ejected by a police officer. The chief returning officer had a few words with the UKIP agent after the election.

For your enlightenment.

Chief Returning Officer. Responsible for running the election, usually the council CEO.

Presiding Officer. In charge of the individual polling station.

Polling Clerk. Checks the voters against the polling list and hands out the polling papers.

For the political parties.

Political Agent. Runs the campaign for their party and candidate.

Teller. Usually sit in the entrance of a polling station noting who has voted, these notes are collected several times during the day. Mostly there is no animosity between the tellers despite their political differences. The only one who was an outcast was (again) the UKIP one who refused to speak to the others.

Here, nobody other than voters and Australian Electoral Commission agents is allowed closer than 6m to a polling place.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Here, nobody other than voters and Australian Electoral Commission agents is allowed closer than 6m to a polling place.

Campaigning is not allowed inside the polling place or within six metres of the entrance.

I read today that wearing any "yes" or 'No" paraphernalia  into the polling area   while not being banned, is being cautioned against.

"If a voter wears a pin, shirt or hat with a campaign slogan into the polling place, casts their vote and leaves then it may not be considered as campaigning."

"However, when inside a polling venue a problem could arise if a voter is seen talking about the material or gesturing towards it."

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Its compulsorily in Australia  to at least turn up at a polling place and get your name marked off,  so unlike certain other countries which are doing their best to restrict voting, all voters have to by law be given access to a polling place and the opportunity to vote.

This video is a quick rundown of the organisation required to get voting facilities to even the remotest communities and the expanded effort this referendum to ensure everyone gets access to a voting place.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its compulsorily in Australia  to at least turn up at a polling place and get your name marked off,  so unlike certain other countries which are doing their best to restrict voting, all voters have to by law be given access to a polling place and the opportunity to vote.

This video is a quick rundown of the organisation required to get voting facilities to even the remotest communities and the expanded effort this referendum to ensure everyone gets access to a voting place.

Also citizens who are overseas, who can either vote by post or in person at their nearest Embassy/High Commission.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Also citizens who are overseas, who can either vote by post or in person at their nearest Embassy/High Commission.

MUST vote. In default of which a fine applies even if you have no other connection with Australia than its blue passport in your name. 

Having spent most of my life in a nation where universal franchise was hard-won but  remains at your discretion I found the Aussie “big stick” approach, uncommon but not unique in the world, to be closer to coercion than what I understand by freedom of choice. 

Aussies who grew up knowing that system rather than another often have a different view. 

To my mind it is no surprise that “donkey-voting” is endemic and that crude representations of male genitalia are regularly drawn on ballot papers in lieu of (or occasionally in addition to) the more appropriate use of those forms. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

No sangers at pre-polling booths...

That's why I have invariably voted in person on the day!

Halfway through a herd of cows now!

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 7