Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

5 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Deadly eastern brown snake interrupts Dominic Thiem match at Brisbane International

Made the news here too. Saw it on CNN earlier.

Makes a change from birds, insects and wind-blown garbage.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Drunk skipper crashed his boat on a sandbar, with over 100 people on board!

There was a linked article to a fatal boating accident on Boxing Day even closer to home that Mum mentioned in her New Year's email.

Lots of very hot temperatures (high 30s°C) with high humidity with accompanying violent thunderstorms in southeast Queensland lately.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Lucky! Driving a vehicle and trailer across a flooded bridge. No doubt She won't be doing that again.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-02/nsw-tweed-floods-threat-northern-rivers/103278110

Edited to say that it was a woman, men are usually guilty of stupidity!

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Agree 4

There used to be a reggae/ska song by a local band a few years ago that went

"I'm a Sydney-sider,

I ain't scared of the Funnel web spider"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-04/lethal-sydney-funnel-web-spider-hercules-sets-record-for-largest/103286268

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

There used to be a reggae/ska song by a local band a few years ago that went

"I'm a Sydney-sider,

I ain't scared of the Funnel web spider"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-04/lethal-sydney-funnel-web-spider-hercules-sets-record-for-largest/103286268

There is a saying that someone is “The funnel-web in the underpants of society”. 

Make of that what you will. It’s not very nice. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

During the lunchbreak at the cricket  I managed to catch a bit of the live stream of the 2024 Summernats Burnout Masters preliminaries.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I fail to see the attraction of Queensland, where most of the worst can be found - keeps you out of rivers, beaches and now your own home!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I fail to see the attraction of Queensland, where most of the worst can be found - keeps you out of rivers, beaches and now your own home!

Although, to be fair  - Brown snakes are the least Queenslandish thing out there  since they occur everywhere else too. A typical  Queensland snake story is usually  about a 5 metre  tree python  coming up out of someones toilet  before eating their cat. 

In their defence, a bluddy huge Brown Snake once  dropped from the skies and missed me by about 6 feet as I sat in a chair under my deck,  and I dont live anywhere near  Queensland.  

He made his escape through the  pictured garden bed then across  the lawn, possibly to his getaway helicopter where he was probably planning to re-ascend into the sky  before dropping unexpectedly on some other poor unsuspecting bu99er.

image.png.4a444588bb54c6b8f1a384a3bd531a32.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I found plenty of attraction in Queensland. 

The biggest problem I had was being already married 🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I found plenty of attraction in Queensland. 

The biggest problem I had was being already married 🤣

Well if nothing else, their  pay-for-parking system is a big step up from some vandalised tap-to-pay box  covered in graffiti. 

2E228E1500000578-0-image-a-27_1446724960163.jpg.d838ab0891da1e8ee23b9d895e4ac823.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Although, to be fair  - Brown snakes are the least Queenslandish thing out there  since they occur everywhere else too. A typical  Queensland snake story is usually  about a 5 metre  tree python  coming up out of someones toilet  before eating their cat. 

In their defence, a bluddy huge Brown Snake once  dropped from the skies and missed me by about 6 feet as I sat in a chair under my deck,  and I dont live anywhere near  Queensland.  

He made his escape through the  pictured garden bed then across  the lawn, possibly to his getaway helicopter where he was probably planning to re-ascend into the sky  before dropping unexpectedly on some other poor unsuspecting bu99er.

What steps do you take around snakes?

Bloody great long ones!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I fail to see the attraction of Queensland

Most Queenslanders would consider Glenmorgan to the the wrong side of the proverbial black stump.

In the 2016 census, Glenmorgan had a population of 148 people.

On the western fringe of the Darling Downs and agricultural, it's not quite the Outback but might as well be.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Drop snakes, eh? Crikey, the drop bears are bad enough...

• Like 2
  • Funny 7