The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

50 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... they sold the management rights that they'd held on  a block of serviced apartments on the beach at Coolum and bought a general store half way across Queensland ...

Astonishing. 

I have fond memories of Coolum that are over 40 years old. It's a bit different now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Astonishing. 

Yes, I guess that Queensland sun can fry your brain if you aren't used to it!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I took my telephone with the Google Maps application installed and regularly used in the US to Queensland. It was flawless - except for two things:

1. It lost contact with the satellite in a tunnel and I hadn't remembered my exit
  2. It struggled with local pronunciations - "Hwy" was pronounced "whee" and "O'Reilly" was pronounced just like Manuel did in "The Builders" episode of Fawlty Towers - as 'orrelly' which was pretty funny.

I suspect there are local 'language' overlays, but the core software was unchanged.

Funny how GPS doesn't work in tunnels!

There are always challenges, like this one. Never heard it pronounced, must go for a drive that uses it as an exit.

The gentleman concerned did apparently pronounce his last name the English way and without the 'E'. Apparently he corrected people who were politically correct!

o7gnufhwbf381.webp.fc7f0bd3d193744efbbbaa521260420e.webp

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Another problem with any of the navigators is when the plonker has it set to walking mode not car mode. As I suspect the van driver I towed out of the muddy lane did the other day.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Another problem with any of the navigators is when the plonker has it set to walking mode not car mode. As I suspect the van driver I towed out of the muddy lane did the other day.

Yes, I found that somehow I'd set it to walking mode, when GM said it was hours to get to my intended destination! Took too long it get it back to driving mode.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I expect that Google Maps is written in California. I don't know how/where it is validated.

That it functions at all with all the complexities of highway codes in every place it is available is nothing short of amazing - particularly with something as localized as "U" turns. They are mostly not legal in Oregon - unless posted.

Generally speaking it is far safer to turn off the road to change direction, rather than attempt a U turn - pretty much anywhere (unless posted with traffic lights protecting the turn, or there is zero traffic approaching an intersection from either direction that the U turn would cross).

Google maps is very accurate here. Allegedly people follow 'satnav' instructions onto seasonal forestry roads and get stranded in snow, but I don't know how people make this happen with Google Maps. The default is to follow state highways.

It can of course get tricked up by temporary rerouting due to rearrangement of the traffic flow for construction, floods, landslides, etc but even then road closures are updated pretty quickly.

How does it go with hook turns?

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

My car GPS does - or else it uses dead reckoning (are there leaky feeders for GPS?). Either way, it keeps track of my progress in the Sydney metro area tunnels and picks the right exits for me.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

My car GPS does - or else it uses dead reckoning (are there leaky feeders for GPS?). Either way, it keeps track of my progress in the Sydney metro area tunnels and picks the right exits for me.

Mine has an algorithm where it has a list of tunnels I have never been in before and  then when I am deep inside  them (eg the new M8) tells me "GPS signal lost - good luck" Or similar.

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, I found that somehow I'd set it to walking mode, when GM said it was hours to get to my intended destination! Took too long it get it back to driving mode.

Walk faster!

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

U turns should always be done with extreme care.

Google maps has to be localised,

"Just chuck a u-ey mate! Yeah, just here'll do........                        Mate, what the f&**k ya doing? -   ya need to chuck a u-ey!" 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

How does it go with hook turns?

For the Melbourne tunnels you get nearly through when the lost gps message comes up. So it appears to depend on the time in tunnels. 

I haven't tried the hook turns, but see no reason why it won't work. Unless gm finds a better way. 

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

As the article says, Three Threes' jars are still available. I prefer them anyway - jars are easier to use than cans.

I suppose it all depends on how much beetroot you intend to eat at one sitting?

I don't eat beetroot anyhow, it tastes like a mouthfull of earth!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You've obviously never eaten Swiss chard!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

You are supposed to wash them, before cooking!

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

I really need to update the GPS in my car.  The last time I used the M4 tunnel, it kept telling me to turn right or do a U-turn with monotonous regularity until I was out in the open again.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

You've obviously never eaten Swiss chard!

I didn't eat much of my last crop of it.  It kept getting stripped back to the stems before it got big enough to harvest.  I suspect the local possums might be the culprits.

Edited by Wolseley
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

You are supposed to wash them, before cooking!

Cooked and bottled.  Still tastes like the life of earthworms....

3 hours ago, Wolseley said:

I really need to update the GPS in my car.  The last time I used the M4 tunnel, it kept telling me to turn right or do a U-turn with monotonous regularity until I was out in the open again.

I've driven across many an open field, according to my satnav.

"Turn around where possible"...

Then it suddenly discovers its on the road it thought it should be on.

The fun starts when it tries to direct you off the obvious route, down some twisty "white" roads, because they cut a corner and can apparently be proceeded down at 60mph to save 5 minutes. Then it really sulks when you ignore it...

ps According to the papers this morning, Chas and Camm are going to visit your fair isle...

Edited by Hroth
news update
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/03/2024 at 07:52, kevinlms said:

There are always challenges, like this one. Never heard it pronounced, must go for a drive that uses it as an exit.

The gentleman concerned did apparently pronounce his last name the English way and without the 'E'. Apparently he corrected people who were politically correct!

o7gnufhwbf381.webp.fc7f0bd3d193744efbbbaa521260420e.webp

I know the road well. And that sign which sits above the Westernport Freeway. 

I have yet to become acquainted with the earnest w@anke in question 

It’s the butt of much humour. In the same vein as those delightfully-christened townships of Iron Kn0b, Koolyanobbing and Burrumbuttock. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I know the road well. And that sign which sits above the Westernport Freeway. 

I have yet to become acquainted with the earnest w@anke in question 

It’s the butt of much humour. In the same vein as those delightfully-christened townships of Iron Kn0b, Koolyanobbing and Burrumbuttock. 

Well Ernst died in 1897, so I suspect that you aren't in any great hurry to meet him!

https://danielbowen.com/2011/03/01/ernst-wanke-road/

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/03/2024 at 09:09, St Enodoc said:

"U" turns. They are mostly not legal in Oregon - unless posted.

In Victoria - permitted unless banned

In NSW - banned unless permitted

Which means that if you cross the river bridge from Moama into Echuca you can legally pull a U-ey and go back. But not if you’re travelling the other way!  

• Like 1
  • Funny 5