Bachmann J72

Lu4472ke

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Legend said:

If I remember correctly , Bachmann know this , but customer demand is such that they want one in green anyway

Yes, it's the best seller on pre-sales, apparently they were too far gone when they found out it was wrong otherwise they wouldn't have done it. A shame really as I thought RTR was more 'informed' lately and was getting away from silly avoidable inaccuracies.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/09/2019 at 15:50, Steamport Southport said:

Wasn't there an LNER green one as well? I'm not thinking of the J71 8286.

Jason

There was an LNER green model, the first of the 1925 Doncaster batch, same again, works grey.

I've had a look at a photo of the LNER lined black one and there is a bit of work to back date it, it has group standard buffers and a vacuum ejector which it received in 1937, so probably shouldn't be lined LNER... Needs to be lined for the NER period though.

On 10/09/2018 at 19:20, Floreat Industria said:

Hattons now have photographs of the decorated J72s in their news section.

I don't think I could live with the coupling rods of the LNER version.

The NER green looks lovely, if fictional. I will be sorely tempted to buy one, although knowing that only one side was lined on the  grey undercoat for the official photograph will spoil it somewhat. The old model of LNER green 581 was, I believe, in the same category.

Painted coupling rods ...Red,  was this a safety matter, the risk to yard staff of the rotating parts,,or was it for looks?

J72, 1720 / 8680 / 68680 is one of the first twenty 1899 build locos with the short bunker and shallow frame depth so it does not match any of the new Bachmann body profiles. Pretty sure this has been discussed on here before.

P

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

J72, 1720 / 8680 / 68680 is one of the first twenty 1899 build locos with the short bunker and shallow frame depth so it does not match any of the new Bachmann body profiles. Pretty sure this has been discussed on here before.

P

Was it still an E1 though? As the quote was "no further E1s were green until BR days".

Personally I'm trying to find details of the Welsh/North West ones. Not found a great deal of information about them.

Jason

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Was it still an E1 though? As the quote was "no further E1s were green until BR days".

I was simply pointing out that the body of newly tooled Bachmann J72 as it stands, would not be accurate if  painted into LNER green as 8680.

As 68680 it also carried fully lined black late crest livery in BR days.

P

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

P

I think it has, and, as by 1914 we are well into NER black for such classes, I think credible doubts have been expressed about the release in NER green; I think this tracks a works photo, probably in photographic grey but lined in the passenger livery style.  It does not follow that it entered service in lined green.

Someone will, I hope, correct me if I have any of that wrong. 

Still, it's a very attractive model and I may well succumb to running it in green!

49 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I was simply pointing out that the body of newly tooled Bachmann J72 as it stands, would not be accurate if  painted into LNER green as 8680.

As 68680 it also carried fully lined black late crest livery in BR days.

P

It's alright. I've also got a couple of the old version to chop about. :butcher:

Bought when they first came out, so to say they are a bit tired is an understatement.

One will end up as a J71 using the Mainly Trains parts. I'm wondering what to do with the other one. After having a look at the Bidston/Wrexham ones it seems they had shorter chimneys, possibly from a D17 according to the LNER Forum. So maybe one of those as they would fit in with most of my other locos.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13142

I'll be buying one of the new ones. Don't know which one though. 

Jason

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's alright. I've also got a couple of the old version to chop about. :butcher:

Bought when they first came out, so to say they are a bit tired is an understatement.

One will end up as a J71 using the Mainly Trains parts. I'm wondering what to do with the other one. After having a look at the Bidston/Wrexham ones it seems they had shorter chimneys, possibly from a D17 according to the LNER Forum. So maybe one of those as they would fit in with most of my other locos.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13142

I'll be buying one of the new ones. Don't know which one though. 

Jason

I have both the short bunker J72 and the J71 in my range of etched brass kits, 

ArthurK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, ArthurK said:

I have both the short bunker J72 and the J71 in my range of etched brass kits, 

ArthurK

And I can thoroughly recommend them! I'm currently building the E (J71) and it's going together very well, it's a well designed and produced kit!

IMG_20190831_145150.jpg.18330891584816eddca1132134e5152d.jpg

I'm also very much looking forward to the Bachmann models arriving, especially for when they eventually (inevitably) do an NER green/BR loco, as Joem. 

Cheers

J

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 10/09/2019 at 15:37, Worsdell forever said:

Yes, it's the best seller on pre-sales, apparently they were too far gone when they found out it was wrong otherwise they wouldn't have done it. A shame really as I thought RTR was more 'informed' lately and was getting away from silly avoidable inaccuracies.

I don't think it's true "too far gone" - I certainly tried to tell them a good while ago (years, not months). However, they may have made the right call for sales.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

From the Railway Modeller FB page:

Bachmann NER E1 (LNER J72) 0-6-0T in OO

Don't miss our review of the brand new Bachmann LNER J72 0-6-0T in our November 2019 issue of Railway Modeller – on sale from 10th October.

Our sample (which has been supplied to us ahead of the main retail stocks arriving in the UK) is finished as one of the early NER Class E1 variants, presented in attractive lined green livery. It really is a stunning little model, packed full of detail and complete with features including firebox flicker.

During our review process we noted that our sample is fitted with driving wheels with the incorrect number of spokes; there should be 12 per wheel, not 14 as per the model. Bachmann Europe Plc has advised us that retail stocks will, however, be supplied to stockists with corrected wheel sets fitted – delivery now being scheduled for December.

Read our full review of this characterful little model in our November 2019 issue, on sale from 10th October.
www.pecopublications.co.uk

• Thanks 3

On 11/09/2019 at 18:17, Worsdell forever said:

There was an LNER green model, the first of the 1925 Doncaster batch, same again, works grey.

I've had a look at a photo of the LNER lined black one and there is a bit of work to back date it, it has group standard buffers and a vacuum ejector which it received in 1937, so probably shouldn't be lined LNER... Needs to be lined for the NER period though.

From the Bachmann J72 annoucement page from 2018. Lined out in Red , I doubt very much the Rods were Red .

1265950348_BACHMANNJ72NO1.jpg.8a3ccba6906fe94becc2eaa96916fe37.jpg

Same thread, this one is Photographic Grey. I have never seen a NER J72 or pre war LNER J72 in Green ?.

269600314_BACHMANNJ72NO2.jpg.28a52b2bb0ba222ea3e7b989c6d6a8ac.jpg

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, micklner said:

I have never seen a NER J72 [ ... ] in Green ?.

K. Hoole, An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives (OPC, 1988) p. 127, No. 1746 shunting at York in W. Worsdell green livery. ;)

But of course that's the short bunker "variant"...

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/09/2019 at 17:26, Compound2632 said:

K. Hoole, An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives (OPC, 1988) p. 127, No. 1746 shunting at York in W. Worsdell green livery. ;)

But of course that's the short bunker "variant"...

What colour were the York and Gateshead pilots before nationalisation?  Certainly BR painted a pair in NER green to work these two station pilot duties.  69023 was originally preserved in green - pardon poor photo from the camera of what was then the 16 year old me still learning about verticals.1378329643_joem1968.jpg.87f51a8fde58b5ab06cd3e096f2a94c7.jpg

Incidentally it seems odd that the loco being delayed for partial remanufacture as the wheels on the review sample had the wrong number of spokes has been reported without the usual feeding frenzy over detail.  If that were Dapol or Hornby surely we would be approaching page 3 of approbrium by now.

Just a plea, please cut other manufacturers the slack that is being presented here.  Mistakes happen to ALL.

Les

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Les1952 said:

What colour were the York and Gateshead pilots before nationalisation?  Certainly BR painted a pair in NER green to work these two station pilot duties.  

Green.

However pre nationalisation I think they were all J71s rather than J72s apart from the one I mentioned earlier which was post war. No 8680 which had a short bunker.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

I've now looked it up in the LNER Green Guide.

2313 and 1720 (prewar numbers) were turned out in LINED black in Aug/Sept 1937.  They were repainted unlined black in August and May 1940.  8680 (1720) became green in May 1947.  It was repainted green again by BR in 1949 but reverted to black in 1952- but LINED passenger black.  It kept the lining with late crest in August 1957.  It lost that lining in December 1959.

68723 and 68736 gained NER green with BR and NER crest in May 1960 on overhaul at Darlington works.  These were both Armstrong Whitworth built in 1922.   They remained green until withdrawal in Sept-Oct 1961.

Bear in mind also that ANY J72 repainted by the LNER up to 1928 was black LINED IN RED.  The loco would then become plain black after its next repaint- the overhaul date would be in Yeadon's register for each loco.

Hope this all helps.

Les

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Please, do we know yet whether the body shell is plastic or diecast?

(If it's plastic I'll place a pre-order with a view to converting it to another class, but if it's diecast I'll pass it by)

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 47137 said:

Please, do we know yet whether the body shell is plastic or diecast?

(If it's plastic I'll place a pre-order with a view to converting it to another class, but if it's diecast I'll pass it by)

- Richard.

For that, you might do as well with the old Mainline/Bachmann version which is plastic and a good deal cheaper, second hand.

E? Or something off-NER?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1