Heljan announce further batch of OO gauge Class 26s

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

My joy at receiving my batch of locos has been somewhat diminished now that I've opened them. Of the 10, there is damage to 7 of them with 2 locos being returned to the dealer for replacement due to cracks on the front cabs, reminiscent of the infamous mazak rot that affected my Heljan 47's.

I'm not naming the dealer, who so far have been excellent and are sorting out replacements. I do know that they had opened and tested each model so the damage has occurred in transit from the dealer to me. The large box I received, and the individual loco boxes were all in good order. It was only when I started unpacking the locos that the damage became clear. On 3 of them, the loco had 'moved' within the plastic case, to smash the plastic case at the end of the box. Bizarely, the 2 locos with a cracked cab, were in perfect packing. I can't understand this.

The pdf below is the summary I've sent to the dealer. Most of the damage I can fix myself - handrails that had come adrift etc. and by utilising spares from the damaged locos, and swapping good for bad plastic inserts over with those I'm returning, then it means all is good. I'll be left with one box that has a damaged plastic tray, but I'm not too fussed as that would only be an issue if I planned to sell in the future.

Heljan Class 26 damage RMWeb2.pdf

post-22167-0-69763700-1519141798_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-11132800-1519141816_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-15917900-1519141967_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-09175600-1519141907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scottish-Exile

• RMweb Premium

The locos on the layout. 23 x Class 26 and 5 x Class 27's all by Heljan. I had been sent an extra Trainload Coal livery rather than 26 026 in Blue. I decided to purchase this anyway rather than return it and 26 026 is on its way to me.

The 10 new locos at the front - including the 2 that are being returned due to damage:

post-22167-0-14303500-1519142866_thumb.jpg

And the wider fleet:

post-22167-0-57410700-1519142936_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That's unusual. Heljan locos usually pretty well packed . I'm a bit worried that the defect is in the same place on two models . But thanks for warning I'm interested in one , but to be honest was going to wait to see if price comes down. Pre warned is good though

• RMweb Gold

The locos on the layout. 23 x Class 26 and 5 x Class 27's all by Heljan. I had been sent an extra Trainload Coal livery rather than 26 026 in Blue. I decided to purchase this anyway rather than return it and 26 026 is on its way to me.

The 10 new locos at the front - including the 2 that are being returned due to damage:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180217_235911.jpg

And the wider fleet:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180218_000052.jpg

I love this scene each time you show pictures of it !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is it fair to say there is a fault with the model then, rather than a dodgy courier?

My dealer opened and tested them all, prior to despatch to me. So, I would say it was the Dopey Parcel Deliverer to blame.

• RMweb Gold

Just had my Railfreight 26 arrive intact, put on the track to run in and after less than a minute it stopped and now won't run as it is tripping out my Gaugemaster controller. Anyone else had this?

Will take the body off later to see if anything is adrift.

• RMweb Gold

Just had my Railfreight 26 arrive intact, put on the track to run in and after less than a minute it stopped and now won't run as it is tripping out my Gaugemaster controller. Anyone else had this?

Will take the body off later to see if anything is adrift.

Nothing appears untoward upon visual inspection. It runs OK with a Hornby train set controller. However it is drawing 0.26 amps at half speed, where my other diesels draw in the range 0.12-0.17A.

At 0.26 amps it is reaching the limit of the Gaugemaster which has a 0.3A limit, so is tripping it out.

Has anyone else measured the current on there's? The draw way seems way too high but it runs smoothly and quietly. The issue is similar to the Dapol 121 I bought earlier in the year........

Nothing appears untoward upon visual inspection. It runs OK with a Hornby train set controller. However it is drawing 0.26 amps at half speed, where my other diesels draw in the range 0.12-0.17A.

At 0.26 amps it is reaching the limit of the Gaugemaster which has a 0.3A limit, so is tripping it out.

Has anyone else measured the current on there's? The draw way seems way too high but it runs smoothly and quietly. The issue is similar to the Dapol 121 I bought earlier in the year........

Tony,

All Helijan models are well known for their high power draw... they tend to require a decoder able to sustain 1amp, I think you need something a bit more beefy than your 0.3amp gaugemaster controller...

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

All Helijan models are well known for their high power draw... they tend to require a decoder able to sustain 1amp, I think you need something a bit more beefy than your 0.3amp gaugemaster controller...

Thanks Andy. I have a few Heljan models but this is the first to be a problem. Looks like a controller upgrade is due :)