Is Warrington Arpley Depot & yard still worth a visit ?

Owd Bob

Going to Warrington on Sunday Morn' as the Wife wants to visit 'Go Outdoor' the camping stuff place! :dontknow:  I've not been around there for years but know it's very close to Bank Quay Station and the small depot and yard, i need to know if it is still worth a visit and a mooch around? Seeing any loco's will do for me even a 66 or an 08!  :sarcastichand: I just need to and go and spot summat for the first time since 1997!...flippin' heck that's 20 years ago!!  :fie:  :O

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 1

Not like it was but worth a visit. Lots to see from the bridges on Slutchers Lane (wonderfull name !!!), I used to work in Warrington and visited often.I had a look there a few months ago, still interesting Bob, but like everywhere rampant vegetation. Better than Springs Branch though. By the way, did you visit there ?, how did you go on ?.

Brit15

I am not sure if they have a 08 shunter anymore at Arpley. You may get a few class 66 locos stabled with it being bank holiday as they usually run the locomotive light to Arpley after they have hauled the Halewood car trains or the Ditton foundry lane train. I have also seen the odd MPV in the yard, an odd 90 or 67.

Watch out at Arpley junction and indeed the Warrington low level line for coal trains starting to run to Fiddlers Ferry power station again.

any success today owd bob.used to go down for the day many moons ago for the day and keep comparing the older days to now :thankyou:

No luck Lads! Sorry but the other half changed her mind :fool:  and we went elsewhere instead, never mind i'll get there and to 'SP' soon, and this week if poss'  :) I will report anything that moves even a 'Bug' :P funny how back then we compared how things were in the old steam and '60's days and now there's nowt left to compare owt with even from the late flippin 90's! Nostalgia is'nt what it used to be....and Britains railways are'nt either :cry:  

• Like 1

On steam days it was possible to observe the traffic at Arpley from the high level platform. Is that still the case or has foliage intervened?

Regards

I remember going on Bank Quay station in the '70's & '80's on a weekend as there was always something parked up on the Southern end of the platform and with some good bino's you could stand and watch the yard and see the stuff going to Fiddlers Ferry during week days....i suppose only a visit will see how bad it's got or not.  I shall report back with pics if poss' :pickeat:

I remember going on Bank Quay station in the '70's & '80's on a weekend as there was always something parked up on the Southern end of the platform and with some good bino's you could stand and watch the yard and see the stuff going to Fiddlers Ferry during week days....i suppose only a visit will see how bad it's got or not.  I shall report back with pics if poss' :pickeat:

When I went with my Dad in the 70s we used to park by the Arpley lines, take a look at the stabling point and settle in to watch trains pass - with the passenger station being raised up and a little bit away you got a good view of the non stop expresses passing through.

Not like it was but worth a visit. Lots to see from the bridges on Slutchers Lane (wonderfull name !!!), I used to work in Warrington and visited often.I had a look there a few months ago, still interesting Bob, but like everywhere rampant vegetation. Better than Springs Branch though. By the way, did you visit there ?, how did you go on ?.

Brit15

"Slutchers Lane", that brings back lots of memories.  I worked at Thames Case from 90 -02, plus I was a regular down there as a teenager from 72 - 75.  

Cardboard boxes and double headed 50's.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...