Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

What is the unlined green with a smoke box plate (top row, 2nd left)?

Edit. Looks like 1432, "GWR" green has a smoke box plate on the artwork. I didn't notice that before.

Edited by Hal Nail

• 2 weeks later...

Dapol have uploaded some new images of the forthcoming 48xx/14xx/58xx on there Facebook page ("https://www.facebook.com/DapolLtd/videos/119820102673361/").

End of February is still quoted as delivery date.

Edited by 7007GreatWestern
Embedded video not running RMWeb in OSX Safari. Link supplied as text.
  • Like 1

They look fabulous except for the 'bottom of the chimney' gap.  I am sure that can be corrected or tightened with a little bit of care, but it is strange that this should appear on publicity examples.

I think there will be even more GWR branch lines on the exhibition circuit in the near future.  Anyone got any unusual plans for their 58xx / 48xx - ie, where they operated on more obscure lines?

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that BR black is the only livery available both with and without topfeed. For once I've struck lucky! 

Not sure if it is obscure but mine will be 1419, the St Blazey loco which never received a top feed or BR green. I suspect its boiler wound up on one of those such as 1451 which lost its top feed very late on. That's pure conjecture, although I believe boiler swaps did routinely happen when work was needed on one.

Edited by Hal Nail

Boiler swaps between members of the class were the norm at heavy overhauls.  As an example 1420 had a non-topfeed boiler in the early 50's whilst 1450 had a topfeed. By withdrawal 1420 had a topfeed and 1450 didn't!  An accurately dated photo is particularly vital as this class seemed to change boilers and liveries frequently.

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, aaron3820 said:

Are BR style numberplates on the smokebox door accurate for a GWR liveried loco?

Various GWR classes had members that escaped repainting for sometime but received their BR smokebox number plates in the interim. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, aaron3820 said:

Are BR style numberplates on the smokebox door accurate for a GWR liveried loco?

I have a photo of a Grange at Newton Abbott with GWR on the tender and a smokebox number fitted. Never seen one in shirtbutton livery though.

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.

• RMweb Premium

On 22/01/2020 at 22:01, Hal Nail said:

Looks like 1432, "GWR" green has a smoke box plate on the artwork. I didn't notice that before.

Assuming it's the same arrangement as the pannier, the plate is separate but plugs into a small hole which you would have to fill. Not quite as simple as it might be as the hinge is right there, so tricky to do cleanly (edit - I'd forgotten the 14xx door comes off which will make it much easier)

There is no 58xx equivalent to use instead. 

Based on past form, a GWR with no plate will get done in a later re-run but could be a few years!

Edited by Hal Nail
Spelling

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

If the smokebox door can be removed off the model it should be an easy enough job to fill the holes left by the number plate bracket and spray it all black 

That's true - I'd forgotten it comes off. Anyone who doesn't want to repaint the door/smokebox will probably be able to get the plain door as a cheap spare. 

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

That would be ideal but I’ll see what can be done with the original before reaching out to Dapol

DCC Supplies sell Dapol spares (once they are out). Some useful and inexpensive stuff on there.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold

I have a GWR livery Pannier tank which also has the offending BR smokebox number plate and shed plate. I removed the number plate by twisting it which convieiently snap off the peg leaving it slightly proud. By careful use of a scapel blade I shaved it flush. The printed plate was removed with a stiff paint brush and a tiny bit of acetone. A quick rub over with some soot weathering powder and you would not know it was ever there. 

I may now renumber the loco and add the number to the bufferbeam now. I will add to photo once completed.

Cheers, Ade.

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2020 at 11:57, fezza said:

I think there will be even more GWR branch lines on the exhibition circuit in the near future.  Anyone got any unusual plans for their 58xx / 48xx - ie, where they operated on more obscure lines?

Not a GW man but it seems to be compulsory in 0.

I have always quite fancied modelling the rather rundown station at Penygraig. Terminus for passenger trains, including 14xx + autocoach, but a through station for goods and mineworkers trains.

In real life, little variety in motive power. But Rule 1 would apply.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, fezza said:

Anyone seen these yet? Dapol Facebook says they were due to go to retailers at the end of February. Its 1st March tomorrow... 

Tower reported about a week ago that the ship is due to dock on 6th and after customs clearance etc they should have them some time between 12th and 16th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2020 at 11:57, fezza said:

They look fabulous except for the 'bottom of the chimney' gap.  I am sure that can be corrected or tightened with a little bit of care, but it is strange that this should appear on publicity examples.....

Its odd that if it can be corrected / tightened  its not been done for the publicity photograph and also  a similar gap is apparent in the photos for the 45xx

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rprodgers said:

a similar gap is apparent in the photos for the 45xx

And the terrier, jinty and pannier!

I haven't managed to close mine on my 57xx despite judicious use of standard correctional procedures (the ones involving a large hammer) - needs filling really.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1