Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Weird, was it pretending to be  GWR pannier?

Edited by Caledonian

The particular style of Barclay 0-4-0ST that is the subject of the Hattons model dates back to 1921, as far as I can tell. Before that the cab sides are the first noticable thing that is different.

Here's 807, Bonaccord, a 12" of 1897 [i thought I was posting a link but we seem to have the photie, so apologies to the Deeside Railway]. Ignore the side-skirts as it was bought from stock by Aberdeen Corporation Gas Works and did a lot of street running, but it provides a splendid picture of the older style of cab

IMG_5894.jpg

Edited by Caledonian
  • Like 7

The other difference from what I can tell (happy to be proven wrong here) is the chassis on pre-1921 examples is more open and does not extend at full depth to the front buffer beam, whereas the post-1921 chassis is full depth front to back

Pre-1921 - Cab with curved side, round windows and open chassis

2885939_orig.jpg

efficient_001.jpg

AB1598/1918

Note front of the chassis is cut back and does extend at full depth to the front

Post - 1921 Square sided cab, round front windows and plate frame chassis full depth to front buffer beam

p1078530823-3.jpg

Note plate frame chassis extends full length at the front and 'angular' cab sides, round cab front windows (I have seen some with 'homebrew' front window mods that are more angular).

It appears that around at some point in the 1940's (possibly 1942?) an alternative cab was offered with angular front windows, smoother cab roof/cab side transition. It is certainly a feature of the late builds 1950 onwards

EDIT - seems a little weird to introduce a new cab design during wartime unless it was some manufacturing gain perhaps?

18-12U%20Loco%20no1.JPG

AB2143 of 1942

rushden_0-4-0st_poor_state.jpg

Those are the 'big' differences that I have noted, and they seem to be offered with standard size and large size saddle tank throughout. I have not included the 'specials' like those in Fife with a 7ft vs 6ft wheelbase etc.

EDIT - Plus I am sure there are the odd balls that have deep frames for a pre-1921 for specific users e.g. steelworks.

EDIT2 - I haven't included the cab backs as there seem to be user dependent - open cab, round windows, square windows, oval windows, no windows, bunkers, coal holes etc.

J

Edited by Down_Under
  • Like 5

On much the same subject the Aberdeen Corporation Gas Works ones were in a lined green livery per the photie until Nationalisation when they changed to sky-blue. This is referred to as being the Corporation livery, but I'm not so sure. The Corporation certainly used a green [and cream] livery for its buses but not the lining depicted here and I therefore suspect that what we are seeing here is Barclay's "off the shelf" livery - which fortuitously happened to be green 

Here's another photie of 807 with an interesting cut-out in the rear cab. It appears that the original cut-out for the brake standard has been deepened and perhaps opened out a bit, possibly for improved visibility when street running. Obviously the brake standard itself has gone, although I've seen another photie of No.3 which appears to show it lashed or rather slung from from the side of the cab.

This modification was characteristic of all the Aberdeen locos, but I've not seen it elsewhere. Has anyone else come across this or anything similar?

http://beamishtransportonline.co.uk/2016/09/more-hire-locomotives-announced-part-1/

• Like 2

In that case I'll put a 1921 worksplate (I'll try and find an appropriate number) on mine when it arrives.

Is there an etch or similar available for the pre-1921 cab? If not I can probably get myself one printed in FUD. It would be nice if my loco could have a place on my proposed colliery layout in its pre-grouping guise as well as its NCB guise.

• Like 1

Oh where oh were has my Barclay gone

Oh where oh where has it been....

According to the communiqué promulgated on the 5th inst, the container was bobbing around off France and due to dock "in the next few days".  Soooo...  Probably dockside on Monday, then there's customs fiddling, with dogs and dodgy paperwork for other consignments in the container.  Then it'll be onto a lorry possibly tomorrow, and get delayed by unseasonable snow on the M62, it being an ill-omened day......

Sorry, I'm just being unreasonably impatient!

:jester:

• Like 2

Oh where oh were has my Barclay gone

Oh where oh where has it been....

According to the communiqué promulgated on the 5th inst, the container was bobbing around off France and due to dock "in the next few days".  Soooo...  Probably dockside on Monday, then there's customs fiddling, with dogs and dodgy paperwork for other consignments in the container.  Then it'll be onto a lorry possibly tomorrow, and get delayed by unseasonable snow on the M62, it being an ill-omened day......

Sorry, I'm just being unreasonably impatient!

:jester:

Isn't the silence deafening !!?!

Isn't the silence deafening !!?!

I suspect and may be wrong that "hattons" have had the delivery and are using the time to check the order is as it should be, testing a few samples of each , and possible preparing them for the mail order send out.

Note this is pure speculation but may explain the delay. Monday 16/4/18 is shown as the day so lets wait and see .

Couriers are you ready !

• Like 1

Normally Hattons have their listing of the days old crocks up by about 10am, but today it hasn't happened.  I suspect that its all hands to the pumps checking the consignment, setting aside the pre-orders as they go, ready for a marathon packing frenzy over the weekend ready for the couriers to collect on Monday.  We may possibly have the objects of our desire to hand mid-week!

Keep your eye on your email for dispatch info....

• Like 1

Try this one on for size... :jester:

But all we see is the Hattons bod chopping a plastic Pug plug!

A true unboxing video includes taking the box out of the delivery box, an examination of the outside of the box from all angles, the internal packaging from all angles, reading the blurb aloud, and so on. 

Before you actually get to the contents of the box.

:scratchhead:

But all we see is the Hattons bod chopping a plastic Pug plug!

A true unboxing video includes taking the box out of the delivery box, an examination of the outside of the box from all angles, the internal packaging from all angles, reading the blurb aloud, and so on. 

Before you actually get to the contents of the box.

:scratchhead:

Maybe the Hattons bod can't read Mandarin ??!?

My order for N.C.B. No.6 has just popped up as processed.

Hopefully it'll be here soon - excellent!

Yup, mine too, lets see how long it takes to get back to this side of the world? The only problem I see is that I'm off to the Tanami for 3 weeks on Monday so I'll just have to froth over everyone else's!

J

Engine and crew packed and dispatched. Now I just have to wait for Canada Post to throw it on my porch. Thank goodness Hattons does a good job of packaging (which I congratulated them on after my experience with the flying P class).

Cheers,

David

• Like 1