UK Only?

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Anyone else international get frustrated when you find an amazing bargain of exactly what you are looking for, only to find that postage is UK only? Why do it? Surely these days, postal services are reliable enough that we can safely assume the item will arrive. Or is there another reason I am missing?

Anyone else international get frustrated when you find an amazing bargain of exactly what you are looking for, only to find that postage is UK only? Why do it? Surely these days, postal services are reliable enough that we can safely assume the item will arrive. Or is there another reason I am missing?

Unfortunately they are not, many eBay sellers have lost out on posting abroad as item takes too long to get through, buyer gets annoyed files against seller, wins then item turns up so seller looses out big style.

• RMweb Gold

I usually message the seller and ask if they would make an exception always worked so far and yes I am prepared to wait longer for the item to get here.

Rgds....Mike

• RMweb Premium

Living in New Zealand I use a NZ post service called YouShop. They provide a UK address which the seller sends to and then I pay the postage from there, which is usually pretty reasonable, compared to eBay's global shipping program.

Roger

• Like 1

UK only for me as a seller. 5000+ transactions and I've only ever been shafted on feedback and returns by overseas buyers. As everything else on ebay seems to favour the buyer, a seller choosing where he ships to is about the only control he has left.

Edited to correct "lack of coffee" syndrome...

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

I don't restrict where I will ship to, but I fully understand those that do as although I've been lucky enough to have had very few negative experiences as a seller those I have had have been with overseas buyers who know that the cost of return postage means you're highly unlikely to just tell them to return the item if they don't like it.

• RMweb Gold

UK only for me as a seller. 5000+ transactions and I've only ever been shafted on feedback and returns by overseas buyers. As everything else on ebay seems to favour the buyer, a seller choosing where he ships to is about the only control he has left.

You're riding for a fall Pete, you'll soon be an "overseas buyer"!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Ive had issue with a lot of Amazon sellers who refuse to ship overseas, which is a little surprising considering Amazon doesnt seem as "buyer friendly" as eBay.  

I have to agree there.  I tried buying a book (used) on Amazon and at the final step only, I got the message that the seller did not ship abroad - despite the despatch information on a previous page saying "dispatched from the UK".  So I went to Abebooks (owned by Amazon, where I bought the book and had it shipped to me.  Strange thing is, it was the same seller.

I think Amazon have some software quirks or badly set up conditions for sellers.

Guest eddie reffin

Agreed 100%. My only problems have been overseas transactions and because of this, I'll only ever post to UK addresses.

What does rip my knitting though, is the refusal of some UK sellers to post to the Highlands -mainland! I live in Inverness which is at the end of a trunk route and some won't even quote postage. We are not talking about large items but things that will fit in a small padded envelopes.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed 100%. My only problems have been overseas transactions and because of this, I'll only ever post to UK addresses.

What does rip my knitting though, is the refusal of some UK sellers to post to the Highlands -mainland! I live in Inverness which is at the end of a trunk route and some won't even quote postage. We are not talking about large items but things that will fit in a small padded envelopes.

Abroad, overseas, in foreign lands, it's all the same Eddie.

Mike.

Just been through this.  Bought engine from UK on E Bay, engine didn't work.  Sent engine back, all monies refunded without hesitation.  It would appear that a lot depends on the seller; obviously those who have been screwed are hesitant but if you are a seller of goods and are lucky enough to have a buyer, then he has to be taken care of to his satisfaction which is E Bay's mantra.

Brian.

I can understand your frustration. I only list items as 'UK' only, but if contacted by a potential buyer will often ship abroad ( which I have done successfully ),  as long as they are prepared for additional costs/time.

So far I haven't had a problem, but will continue the same way for now....

joe

• RMweb Gold

An Post, the Irish equivalent of Royal Mail recognise this problem with on line shoping in that many

companies, eBay and Amazon sellers etc will only post to UK. An Post have a service called Address Pal which gives you a UK address to use for orders. The seller posts to the UK address and An Post delivers the item to your address in Ireland, or if you prefer to have it for collection at your local post office.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/

I feel your pain, as the boot is often on the other foot for me too, in the UK.

The amount of US Sellers who won't ship beyond the "Lower 48"... :rolleyes: :shout: :banghead:

• RMweb Gold

Once you have rearranged to ship to the uk Parcelfarce take the parcels in then spend weeks avoiding you and return it to a depot 50 miles away and tell you that :- choose from below

It's too heavy to leave at the post office (drills in Jiffy bag)

It's too big to leave (a hardback novel)

It's not on my route.

We couldn't be arsed

Oh and that's £13 handling charge we've added on to our incompetence for the pleasure of taking your parcels for a tour of southern Britain.

;)

<DEVILS ADVOCATE MODE - ON>

Curious as to why, given you impose a shipping restriction yourself, some restriction imposed negatively on you is then a problem?

Example: Say I'm a seller who ships worldwide, BUT, "my only problems have been Scottish transactions" and I therefore won't post there, aren't I essentially imposing the same arbitrary but acceptable "to me" type of restriction?

<DEVILS ADVOCATE MODE - OFF>

Being an overseas buyer (and an occasional seller "worldwide") I have had similar disappointments as the OP and others.

As an expat modeling UK BR/SR in the US, about 95% of anything I want/need is UK sourced, and whilst I understand the potential problems increase especially with the higher shipping costs and therefore returns/recovery issues, I've had many occasions where I've not been able to get a wanted items for just such limitations. Some sellers are very good and even charge amazingly low shipping to me, some simply won't ship even if asked privately. It doesn't diminish the reality that there are actually bad buyers everywhere. Oh well...

Guest eddie reffin

There is a significant difference in shipping to another part of Mainland U.K. than shipping to a different country. Royal Mail is supposed to be a universal service (which it is) but many retailers won't post to the SAME country.

My point about posting overseas was that the only problems I have had with eBay selling have been those who have been out with the UK so that's why I have placed the restriction on it when I sell.

• RMweb Premium

Oh and that's £13 handling charge we've added on to our incompetence for the pleasure of taking your parcels for a tour of southern Britain.

In recent weeks I've bought two models from the US. The first one spent three weeks at the parcel force customs clearing depot, the second one two and a half weeks. In neither case was the package opened and their handling was either limited to just reading the customs declaration and sticking the customs charge on it or possibly x-raying them. And for that, and sitting on my packages for two and a half weeks and three weeks they have the nerve to charge eleven quid something, it is outrageous. Luckily they were tracked so I could see where they are, and it is nothing to do with the sender, but if they weren't tracked then I probably would have been starting to follow up with the seller.

I have to agree there.  I tried buying a book (used) on Amazon and at the final step only, I got the message that the seller did not ship abroad - despite the despatch information on a previous page saying "dispatched from the UK".  So I went to Abebooks (owned by Amazon, where I bought the book and had it shipped to me.  Strange thing is, it was the same seller.

I think Amazon have some software quirks or badly set up conditions for sellers.

I believe that you might be correct.  Recently I have had a look on Amazon for small solar powered pumps for ponds.  A lot of them wouldn't be shipped to Bulgaria.  The only thing that I found on their explanation page was that batteries couldn't be shipped to certain EU countries.  As I don't require water features to work at night and I believe that batteries are likely to fail before anything else I was specifically looking at the cheaper ones *WITHOUT* back-up batteries.

The issue here is usually when using a Courier company, as it includes the postcode area, not the actual location, as they are only using the postcode office area code (in this case IV)

Therefore Inverness is treated the same as Dunvegan (Skye) or Kinlochbervie

Perth is also affected

A similar, and probably worse issue occurs with the Paisley (PA) postcode, and when that happens it is just silly!