RMweb

Warehouses with rail access - modern

MattBlack33

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any reference pictures of warehouses with rail access in the modern image? I have an idea for a structure which has a single road running underneath a covered canopy which has its own platform/loading bay connected to a larger warehouse. I hope this makes sense? I could draw a crude outline if it isn't clear!

Thanks in advance!

David

I have had 2 railway journeys to Italy in the past 3 years, I was amazed at the number of factory sidings in Italy. Whilst travelling on both the UK's mainline and the French TGV none

Now I think with the exception of heavy industry these sidings have long gone. I guess there is a prototype for everything and of course there is modellers licence  

If you Google search Prologis Park Coventry railway sidings it should bring up several images relating to what you've requested. Although no longer in use one siding ran under the canopy which had a long dock under cover where product was taken straight from warehouse to load into wagons. This was bottled water in this case and ceased around 2007 moving to Daventry. There are certainly a couple of images of 66's and wagons under the canopy.

Regards

Guy

Trafford Park has an old Warehousing area with lines still in situ but taken out of use a long time ago, warhouses are used by lorries only now and some FLT flats are stored there.

Tinsley yard was built over with some rail connected warehousing too

Potters in Ely has some warehousing with lines alongside too.

Dallam in Warrington not in regular use but still in situ (and there is a model on this very forum)

Edited by woodenhead

How modern? IIRC there were two warehouses across from Neasden LUL depot, one had a road running through it, the other was canopied. They were in use during the 90s but not much after that.

This was the Tibbett & Britten warehouse

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railway_images/16106732707

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railway_images/15672766153

Quite an interesting and cramped site sandwiched between the two Chiltern routes. Enough traffic to justify an industrial shunter as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73789322@N04/23474938486

DIRFT near Rugby has this sort of facility, I think in addition to container off-loading. Went past it yesterday, and there were two shunting locos on view, an ex-BR 08/09, in a very rough and ready 'Malcolm Logistics' livery, and a neat red Hunslet that I think is a 6WDH.

K

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

There are still a few such structures around. And certainly plenty of good models of such on here.

If the OP does not want to scratchbuild, US firm Pikestuff does a whole range of this type of steelclad building although I don't recall any of them having this style of canopy. They can easily be modified as they are designed for this. Being US, they are HO and clearances can be a bit limited. But you get round that by putting them up on a plinth of brickwork or blockwork which a lot of such buildings have in reality.

DIRFT definitely has lots of variety of loading, from containers to into warehouse loading iirc. There are multiple parts to it, some aren't rail connected at all. One of the Tesco warehouses at least is connected, and operated by DHL or Malcom, possibly Stobart I can't recall now (DHL until recently operated the freezer warehouse, which isn't rail connected, but now only do the road transport with Tesco taking control back of the frozen food warehouse (where my OH works)).

It is an ever expanding site too. Parts are visible from the road sometimes.

Trafford Park has an old Warehousing area with lines still in situ but taken out of use a long time ago, warhouses are used by lorries only now and some FLT flats are stored there.

You make me feel old.

It must have been the early 1990s when I was last there and rail traffic was running at that time. Some of the warehousing was brand new at that time and was the most modern around APR system, incorporating the very latest in stock control and stock movement.

Where I was working handled pet food. It came in from Scotland in rail vans and was the moved into stock for despatch by road to local distribution centres.

I have no idea when the rail traffic finished and thus no idea if this is modern enough.

Bernard

• Like 1

There  is a shed of sorts on the Felixstowe Port lines with a track running through.

Just south of Stonegrove road:

https://goo.gl/maps/rd35c3MjWDK2

Load of container flats in the picture

Keith

Interestingly having worked within maybe 300m of that shed for well over twenty years I never actually knew it was there!  In my defence

there are some rather large stacks of containers blocking it from view...

Thank you all for your replies, I was not expecting such a large number of responses in such a short time!

How modern? IIRC there were two warehouses across from Neasden LUL depot, one had a road running through it, the other was canopied. They were in use during the 90s but not much after that.

It's mid 2000s to present so a little outside that timeframe. With it being a fictional layout I have in mind I am allowing myself some modellers' licence, however I'd like to base each element of the layout on a prototype where possible.

Do you mean this type of structure?  I got the idea from Deanside Transit in Glasgow. In use during the Speedlink era and into EWS Enterprise, I believe.  Google will produce images.

attachicon.gifews 5.8.17 004.JPG

Mal

Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for; right timeframe and layout. I will get on with a Googling this evening, thanks for that.

This was the Tibbett & Britten warehouse

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railway_images/16106732707

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railway_images/15672766153

Quite an interesting and cramped site sandwiched between the two Chiltern routes. Enough traffic to justify an industrial shunter as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73789322@N04/23474938486

Again, exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I particularly like how it's been crammed into a cramped space.

There are still a few such structures around. And certainly plenty of good models of such on here.

If the OP does not want to scratchbuild, US firm Pikestuff does a whole range of this type of steelclad building although I don't recall any of them having this style of canopy. They can easily be modified as they are designed for this. Being US, they are HO and clearances can be a bit limited. But you get round that by putting them up on a plinth of brickwork or blockwork which a lot of such buildings have in reality.

I'm wanting to scratchbuild but I've had a look at some of the rtr examples available to get an idea of how they're put together. Thanks!

Thanks again guys you've all been extremely helpful! Check out my thread to see how I get on!

DIRFT definitely has lots of variety of loading, from containers to into warehouse loading iirc. There are multiple parts to it, some aren't rail connected at all. One of the Tesco warehouses at least is connected, and operated by DHL or Malcom, possibly Stobart I can't recall now (DHL until recently operated the freezer warehouse, which isn't rail connected, but now only do the road transport with Tesco taking control back of the frozen food warehouse (where my OH works)).

It is an ever expanding site too. Parts are visible from the road sometimes.

It certainly is expanding Kelly, the 'common line' which runs past the Sainsburys / Russell terminal will be crossing the A5 and be connected to the new warehouses currently being built on the other side of the road. There's been talk of the common line being doubled at some point to ease the flow of traffic to and from the site. The reception sidings laid in in 1997 alongside the Up and Down Slow lines will be expanded from five to eight running loops to cope with this build up in traffic, meaning the original railport area will not be used for loading / unloading in the future. When dragging a train from Sainsburys down to the reception lines we often have to wait while one of the shunt locos or a GBRf 66 does its stuff, it's becoming quite a bottleneck already.

It certainly is expanding Kelly, the 'common line' which runs past the Sainsburys / Russell terminal will be crossing the A5 and be connected to the new warehouses currently being built on the other side of the road. There's been talk of the common line being doubled at some point to ease the flow of traffic to and from the site. The reception sidings laid in in 1997 alongside the Up and Down Slow lines will be expanded from five to eight running loops to cope with this build up in traffic, meaning the original railport area will not be used for loading / unloading in the future. When dragging a train from Sainsburys down to the reception lines we often have to wait while one of the shunt locos or a GBRf 66 does its stuff, it's becoming quite a bottleneck already.

Apparently the Tesco frozen warehouse was considered for rail connections, but the containers they'd need to use proved unreliable so they stuck with DHL to do the deliveries by road instead. DHL have since lost the operation contract (Tesco taken over the contracts), but still do the transport management and shipping to other locations, using a common pool of vehicles instead of dedicated (so a driver could take a load to a store in Leeds, and then take another non-Tesco load to Bury and then back down with another load before getting to DIRFT again).

A bit of a look round in real time trains will show how busy DIrft is - a model of the reception area, with all the sheds in the background, would make quite a good layout in N. The Northampton line tracks in the foreground would give possibilities for almost anything, including the odd steam special, if it was assumed that the Kilsby route was closed.

• Like 1

It depends what you class as Modern Image...

Gidea Park was most suitable to model:

post-2484-0-17296400-1506718916_thumb.jpg

I have a raft of 1995 images on https://www.flickr.com/photos/55938574@N03/16589598141/in/album-72157650522858358/

As Operations and Traincrew Manager for Railfreight Distribution at Wembley, Gidea Park was on my patch with a daily trop service from Wembley.

• Like 4

It's interesting that three of the locations mentioned were associated with one flow.....

Neasden, proplogis and now DIRFT, - were for French bottled water which I believe still goes in cargowaggon.

These trains are pretty long - if it's a shorter sort of enterprise thing you are after, I'd have a look at the metal box workings to. Worcester and elsewhere, couple of cargo wagons.