Inspired by Crianlarich

BoD

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, newbryford said:

As it still requires decals (see Railtec - they do a few plough sets), then I would give it a light coat of gloss varnish to aid the decals.

Once decalled, a light coat of satin varnish. Then weather.

Having said that - what paint have you used?

Mixing acrylics and enamels can be fraught.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for that Mick. I’ll give it that a go.

Its all enamels up to now so I’ll stick with that. I had heard though that some enamel varnish can give a yellowish colour. Is that true?

At the end of the day though, this is a kit that I had ‘written off’ so if I get something out of it, it will be a bonus with some valuable learning experiences on the way.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, gordon s said:

It says they are the realised prices from Oct 2019.....About £110 per foot...Bargain.

Lots of interesting stuff. Made me want to seek out the next one.....

https://gnrauctions.co.uk/october-5th-2019-auction-catalogue/

I do have stashed away a rare-ish bottle of malt that would just about cover that, the fees and the postage.  
Of course, given the circumstances I could always just drink it........

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, BoD said:

Thanks for that Mick. I’ll give it that a go.

Its all enamels up to now so I’ll stick with that. I had heard though that some enamel varnish can give a yellowish colour. Is that true?

At the end of the day though, this is a kit that I had ‘written off’ so if I get something out of it, it will be a bonus with some valuable learning experiences on the way.

I've not had a problem with yellow.......... ;)

I can never remember the acrylic over enamel, or is it enamel over acrylic. that can cause reactions.

Whichever way, i always allow the base layers to harden for a few days before applying any varnish, as I've had enamel varnish react with enamel base layers before now.

It may be worth checking into the painting thread for further info/advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, BoD said:

Haven't posted for a while but I haven't been idle.  In face I've been making good progress in parts.

Lately I have built the loading dock in the goods yard at Crianlarich and have now started working on the buildings for it.

Loosely based on this,......

7116627325_0866be9b42_o.jpg.29468f6a03e01daaa984b13e5f4587dc.jpg

I came up with

P1060853.jpg.5ba22061a57df5cbddd8e2933be3af37.jpg

Far from accurate but I think it gives the impression.

Well it does from 3ft anyway

I can always find a home for the building if you decide it is not up to your standards! It trumps my feeble efforts by a distance. 

602464892_240320009.JPG.ef891e7d96a1486a8c17cfe0bee8c339.JPG

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, young37215 said:

I can always find a home for the building if you decide it is not up to your standards! It trumps my feeble efforts by a distance. 

I would hardly say feeble.  I think our two models and approaches show what a broad church this hobby is. I have chosen to model a small area - just one station and a branch line station whereas you have modelled a larger system with a few stations.  I have attempted to put the emphasis on accuracy of the buildings etc whereas your emphasis has been, very effectively if I may say, trying to reproduce the flavour of the whole line and its timetable- whilst still remaining very true to the stations themselves.  If you had spent as much time as I did on each building then you wouldn't have got much beyond Craigendoran. :laugh_mini:

I sometimes wonder though,  about a comment made be a modelling acquaintance who not too long ago said 'at my age I just don't have the time to spend days and weeks on individual buildings,  even if I wanted to'.  On many occasions I have thought that just maybe he has the right idea.  Having said that, I do enjoy the making of the models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I have been working on the house near the underpass and have just noticed an error which has given me a bit of a conundrum.

I was mainly working on these photos....  

pic1.jpg.a2180853ac01e60af22a0a7a20397a08.jpg

pic2.jpg.997cbcb0656afcfb1f9a710c289fe701.jpg

….. and was relatively pleased the way things were going, although still a lot to do.

1700679669_house1.jpg.57fd1bdd29fb5c8be12abd278376a510.jpg

615564100_house2.jpg.5f70d53ac2b4325c96573320b54e3887.jpg

I then started to look at the extension flat roof and detail.  There are very few photos of that side and the best I could do was streetview.

pic3.jpg.fb977831bc17a409b76b95af76647caa.jpg

….. rude words.  The extension isn't flush with the main wall it is set back slightly.  Unlike mine. Serves me right for not researching further.

1864322036_house3.jpg.c8d9ce7759314d1d4cf6174db7e76143.jpg

I then searched harder for phots of that side and they do confirm this 'setback'  -  literally and figuratively speaking.

So, what to do?   Accept it as is,  knowing that in the overall scheme of things it is hardly noticeable or alter the building which will not be without difficulty at this stage and could risk damaging it.

It's one of those things that had I not seen the picture it wouldn't matter but once you know it's there will always stick out like a sore thumb to me.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, BoD said:

I have been working on the house near the underpass and have just noticed an error which has given me a bit of a conundrum.

I was mainly working on these photos....  

pic1.jpg.a2180853ac01e60af22a0a7a20397a08.jpg

….. and was relatively pleased the way things were going, although still a lot to do.

1700679669_house1.jpg.57fd1bdd29fb5c8be12abd278376a510.jpg

615564100_house2.jpg.5f70d53ac2b4325c96573320b54e3887.jpg

I then started to look at the extension flat roof and detail.  There are very few photos of that side and the best I could do was streetview.

pic3.jpg.fb977831bc17a409b76b95af76647caa.jpg

….. rude words.  The extension isn't flush with the main wall it is set back slightly.  Unlike mine. Serves me right for not researching further.

1864322036_house3.jpg.c8d9ce7759314d1d4cf6174db7e76143.jpg

I then searched harder for phots of that side and they do confirm this 'setback'  -  literally and figuratively speaking.

So, what to do?   Accept it as is,  knowing that in the overall scheme of things it is hardly noticeable or alter the building which will not be without difficulty at this stage and could risk damaging it.

It's one of those things that had I not seen the picture it wouldn't matter but once you know it's there will always stick out like a sore thumb to me.

Hi,

I would be tempted to leave well alone, but once you know....  However, would it not be possible to add one, or two, layers to the side wall of the extension?  If the position of the window at the end looks too out of place perhaps it would be possiblt to do something similar to the end with a new window.  You'd have to cut a hole in the current wall behind the new window but it should be possible.  Then again, I'd probably remove the end wall, add one or two layers to the front then add anew end wall.

Roja

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Not wanting to trivialise the issue as it's obviously concerning you but the inset on the real building looks quite minimal to me, ie only a few centimetres, which by the time it's scaled down to 4mm would end up only being a 'cat's c#ck hair' by my reckoning.

Before you do anything too drastic could you not fit the roof support under the over hang  and then maybe just draw a thin vertical pencil line down to represent the inset, place the building where you are going to site it and view it from your normal viewing distance.....it may just look acceptable to you visually, if it doesn't then you've lost nothing but a few minutes of your time.

Good luck, whatever you decide, as your previous buildings have certainly set a very high standard for the rest of us to try and achieve.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it actually the downpipe for the gutter? Zoom in, and it appears to crank outwards at the top, and there is what could be a mounting clasp towards the bottom.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments.

45 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Is it actually the downpipe for the gutter? Zoom in, and it appears to crank outwards at the top, and there is what could be a mounting clasp towards the bottom.

An interesting thought.  The more I look, none of the photos I have found are truly conclusive.  There is this one here which strangely enough I only found recently here on RMweb

Crainlarich  Subway 1.jpg

I think it shows a slight setback of the extension but as @03060 mentions it is very small indeed. I may well add the bargeboards, detail the flat roof, add a downpipe and see if I can live with that.

Having said that the down pipe isn't visible here.  Someone once said I was indecisive but I'm not so sure now.

It is just so annoying that, had I noticed it/researched properly it would have been just as easy to build it that way as the way I did.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hmm.

Score a line, and use a knife blade at a shallow angle to create a small |/ sort of groove, feathering it into the main bony of the extension. A bit of grey paint to highlight the shadow, and maybe the eye will be tricked sufficiently?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

I'm pretty sure it is alignment rather than guttering.  Look at the disrupted line of the roof shadow:

image.png.56618c47db77bec24b6553cce869370b.png

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It looks as though you've used a single sheet of foamboard for the side of the main building and the extension, is that right?

My observation is that if you are going to modify it, now would be the time, before you add any more detail.

Might I suggest that you cut a piece of 10thou or even 20thou styrene, (or maybe even some card) to the size of the main building wall, with cutouts for the windows, and simply glue it to the wall of the main building to increase the thickness and create the step between it and the extension? I notice that if you compare your model to the real thing, your model windows are not sunk as deeply into the wall, so adding a thickness of card would not look out of place.

bod_house3.jpg.275355c47c90ea70bf9c309ed70b203c.jpg

Hope this helps.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I finally found an image - under wikimedia common licence - that gives a definitive answer- even though the difference is only small.

507906863_Crianlarich_Station_view_towards_Ardlui.jpg.92d332420a6d6e3a0c1d266bf76137c6.jpg

To be honest I thought a flat wall along the whole of the front didn't look quite right somehow.

I tried an overlay as suggested but that affected the equal overhang of the roof, so out came the razor saw and sharp blades and thankfully it moved relatively easily.  Just a bit filling and smoothing to do and back to the stage I was at - but feeling much happier about the whole thing.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I've added a bit colour to see the effect.  Probably moved too far back now but I think it looks better like that than it did when it was flush.  Still a bit work and an awful lot of fettling to do!

build.jpg.fd52239f7bbcd138334c638aea7db02b.jpg

Looks passable from normal viewing distance.

build2.jpg.d5d47d8acf7afd6e29b77f52063fba0b.jpg

Any one know how to pebbledash in 4mm to the foot?

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking good but it probably did look like your original modelling at an earlier stage in its life.  

Pebbledash - do some sanding and sweep up all the bits afterwards ... it looks clean now put a touch of glue on the wall and blow from the 'clean area' area towards the wall - you will have your fine 'pebbledash'.  

PS normally only seems to work when you want a perfectly smooth surface rather than when you need it.

• Like 1

I spread white glue and then gently distibuted fine ballast on top then I painted the surface you might not need to .Like the revised building the revision is a great improvement Think its up for sale a good buy I think.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BoD said:

I've added a bit colour to see the effect.  Probably moved too far back now but I think it looks better like that than it did when it was flush.  Still a bit work and an awful lot of fettling to do!

build.jpg.fd52239f7bbcd138334c638aea7db02b.jpg

Looks passable from normal viewing distance.

build2.jpg.d5d47d8acf7afd6e29b77f52063fba0b.jpg

Any one know how to pebbledash in 4mm to the foot?

Hi,

if you can get hold of some chinchilla sand, sold by petshops, can be sieved to give various size particles, from a very fine dust upwards.  

Roja

• Thanks 1