Dapol announce UK Made OO Gauge Rudd, Clam and Tope Wagons

sc2016

Looking at Dapol's Facebook page and they have a 2017 Dapol Open Day Video. Included in that video they have announced that they are designing Rudd, Clam and Tope wagons for UK Production. 

I hope that they do better than their Turbot as it has been how long in the design stages!

Mark Saunders

Hmmm, don't Hornby already produce the Rudd? 

A zillion different wagons Dapol could have chosen and they go and duplicate...    :shout: :banghead:

Hornby do a Clam and Tope but not a Rudd but have never progressed with the chassis for any other wagons with the same chassis.

They could have produced a BR welded 21 ton hopper body in several forms for the chassis but have chosen not to or even the rebodied version for the LNER one.

Mark Saunders

Maybe in the comments so far they have not noticed that these are not imported but British made.....all depends on the quality or price, but far better to support British productions and leave the Chinese made items on the shelf as the unsold duplicates. It is known as competition.

Well, the opportunity to make the Clam the right width is there for Dapol and the "Electrification" marked Olive green Tope gives the only other livery not already covered by the previous Hornby models.

IMHO, the Hornby Chassis is very, very good for RTR, with many separate components in its construction.

However .. I just wish that something other than the duplication of another New Generation ( 'super', separate and multi parts, detailed modern Chinese production ) RTR wagon could have been thought of.

MC

As Meld said the Hornby Clam is the wrong (too narrow) width. The Tope has some issues but I can't remember what. The Rudd is quite good being the Crump rebuild version, the Marcroft rebuild can be modelled with the different end stanchions from S Kits models. But another RTR version is not the most important move.

The Parkside Rudd is the wrong (too narrow) width strangely, but their Clam is right.

Cheers.

As Meld said the Hornby Clam is the wrong (too narrow) width.

Hi Paul and All,

It's actually too wide ( but easily [!!] cut down to the right width and reassembled with out having to destroy the Hornby paint finish - https://broomliegh.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/a-bakers-dozen/ ), being made the same width as the RUDD, which makes it wrong ( The Parkside CLAM kit is the correct width however! ) 

The Wordpress post is rather old, but I managed to find a perfect paint match with a Hannants RAF Grey.

MC

Edited by meld

If Dapol use the grampus chassis for the rudd, they could use the different types of axle boxes.

Hi.

Please don't forget that the RUDDs were converted to Air Brakes during their construction ( hence the ZBA TOPS Coding ) and this would mean that additional work to remove the VB cylinder etc and AB new parts would be needed on the Dapol GRAMPUS U/F.

HTH

MC

Hi.

Please don't forget that the RUDDs were converted to Air Brakes during their construction ( hence the ZBA TOPS Coding ) and this would mean that additional work to remove the VB cylinder etc and AB new parts would be needed on the Dapol GRAMPUS U/F.

HTH

MC

A lot will depend on the level of detail that Dapol intend to add, as added detail on British produced items will add considerably to the cost. I potentially see these as having similar levels of detail to the four wagons that Dapol designed and produced/still produce in the UK - 3 axle milk tanker, rectangular tank wagon, GWR long wheelbase van and Grampus. These were not ex Hornby Dublo tooling that the rest of the UK produced wagons are. So I believe the decision on these 3 engineers types is to be able to use the 2 versions of the Grampus underframe already tooled.

Hi.

Please don't forget that the RUDDs were converted to Air Brakes during their construction ( hence the ZBA TOPS Coding ) and this would mean that additional work to remove the VB cylinder etc and AB new parts would be needed on the Dapol GRAMPUS U/F.

HTH

MC

The Vacuum braked Grampus has a different brake lever and block arrangement to the HTV and the current unfitted one uses the RCH chassis so neither is correct so I would hope for a new HTV chassis and the potential for such!

Mark Saunders