Bachmann 00 61xx GWR tank?

swiftbeam

Preaching to the choir here, CoY.  A 5101/61xx from H is not difficult to envisage, developed from the old Airfix/GMR/Dapol/Hornby 61xx, suitable for hauling Collett and Hawksworth gangwayed stock as well as freight on secondary services (Gloucester-Hereford for example), so complementing other items in the catalogue.  But we've had the non-gangwayed discussion before and I would suggest, rather sadly, that any stock other than a re-issue of the Aifix/GMR/Hornby bowended B, nowadays a bit dated in the finer details, set is very unlikely from H or any other RTR manufacturer, other than perhaps a flatended B set which would at least have the advantage of being able to be correctly run as single vehicles.  This is because, unlike the LMS, SR, and LNER types that fill this market gap, the Collett non gangwayed stock was based on numbers of standard sized 3rd and 1st class compartments and not a standard length of chassis, so a number of different chassis would have to be produced to form a correct train with Brake 3rd, Full 3rd, and Composite coaches each of slightly different lengths over the buffers.  Even in an age where we are being conditioned to pay over £50 for a coach, this might push the retail price beyond what is considered acceptable in the market for 'suburban' coaches, and 'Winter Is Coming' in the trade, nobody wants to manufacture stock they don't think they'd be able to shift.

This is a shame, as such coaches were spread across the region and most lasted until the late 50s, some managing a couple of years into the early 60s, and were endemic in the London, Bristol, Birmingham, and South Wales areas.  As a South Wales 50s modeller, they are almost as necessary as sheep, and the Comet kits are not available.  I'd say no chance by 2020, or the foreseeable future, unless manufacturing costs in the Far East drop out of the bottom!

You say that. But don't forget how many sets of SECR Birdcage coaches there were (30 as per model). Or Maunsell ex LSWR rebuilds. Or LSWR Gate Stock. All few in number and almost always ran in fixed sets.

In reality all you need is a typical set of two, three or four carriages. BT/T, BT/C/BT, BT/C/T/BT.

Something like a D117 and a C66. As a BT/T

Or a D109. E141 and C61 as a BT/T, BT/T/BT, BT/C/BT,  BT/C/T/BT OR BT/C/BT/BT/T/BT.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

You say that. But don't forget how many sets of SECR Birdcage coaches there were (30 as per model). Or Maunsell ex LSWR rebuilds. Or LSWR Gate Stock. All few in number and almost always ran in fixed sets.

Jason

Similarly the new Dapol 'O' gauge Diagram N Auto Trailer was one of six, numbers 36-41, built to this particular diagram. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

If anyone's interested in the Comet route, I reworked an old Airfix 61xx a couple of years ago, which is still probably

the most economical way to get a decent-running model. Like others, I haven't been too impressed with the running

of any of the Hornby-era models that I've got my hands on; I get the impression that the chassis design was a bit

of a half-hearted effort rather than a complete re-tool.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/257/entry-16283-a-brace-of-prairies-back-in-black-and-green/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/257/entry-16241-a-brace-of-prairies-final-chassis-and-bodywork/

and a Youtube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcFz521QMx8

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In reality all you need is a typical set of two, three or four carriages. BT/T, BT/C/BT, BT/C/T/BT.

Something like a D117 and a C66. As a BT/T

Or a D109. E141 and C61 as a BT/T, BT/T/BT, BT/C/BT,  BT/C/T/BT OR BT/C/BT/BT/T/BT.

Jason

It would be nice to think you are right, Jason, but after 40 years of bow ended B sets I don't see it happening.  I'll be very happy to be proved wrong!