RMweb

'Brownie 127' photos from 1964

By the way, posting that pic of 46160 (post #22 above) reminds me that I started another thread on 3rd October in the 'Modelling Questions, Help and Tips' section on the subject 'Bachmann Rebuilt Royal Scot?' It's had nearly 200 views but no replies. Could anyone here help on that, please?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Trevor

Trev, your pic of 80022 at St Margarets reminded me that I visited the shed in July 1965.

The visit to Edinburgh was our school annual excursion. Although passenger service had ceased on the Blyth & Tyne in November 1964, the school organised a special train from Newsham to Morpeth and ECMl to Edinburgh.

One of our teachers arranged permits for St Margarets and Dalry Road. The rest of the school visted Edinbuurgh Zoo!

More pics taken with my Brownie.

post-7898-0-66666800-1507716749_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-63956500-1507716779_thumb.jpg

J38 65929

post-7898-0-20348200-1507716847_thumb.jpg

and 61245 'Murray of Elibank' at Dalry Road

post-7898-0-97164300-1507716920_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

@ lanchester - I think the reason was probably because the eastern end of the direct line (the S&T) was closed, which apparently regularly(?) happened at weekends, as far as I am aware. The trains would run down from Consett as far as Ouston Junction where they would join the ECML and head north through Low Fell to Gateshead and then on to Tyne Dock. Sorry if my original clumsy wording implied that some out of the ordinary event, such as the derailment you mention, had happened. I have notes taken at Low Fell in 1965 and 1966 when several ore trains were often seen on the same day, usually a Saturday.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the direct line via Washington closed on Sundays and the ore trains therefore sent via Gateshead instead?

Arp

Trev, your pic of 80022 at St Margarets reminded me that I visited the shed in July 1965.

The visit to Edinburgh was our school annual excursion. Although passenger service had ceased on the Blyth & Tyne in November 1964, the school organised a special train from Newsham to Morpeth and ECMl to Edinburgh.

One of our teachers arranged permits for St Margarets and Dalry Road. The rest of the school visted Edinbuurgh Zoo!

More pics taken with my Brownie.

attachicon.gif80007 St Margarets 1965.jpg

attachicon.gif80117 St Margarets 1965.jpg

J38 65929

attachicon.gifJ38 65929 St Margarets 1965.jpg

and 61245 'Murray of Elibank' at Dalry Road

attachicon.gif61245 'Murray of Elibank' at Dalry Road.jpg

Lovely shot of 80007 in particular, Mal. Perfect angle showing the quite elegant (in my opinion, anyway!) lines of these locos. Nice to have the coupling rods at the top. Perhaps elegant isn't the correct word - functional, perhaps?

Trevor

• Like 1

No, 80116 onwards.

Still interesting though, even blowing the photo up 80114 looks to have a 54A shed plate not a 64A.  It's probably a trick of the light or crap on the plate or summat, but still interesting.

Other point of note the boiler and a number of fittings on 80135 (resident on the NYMR) are off 80116 which was a 50G loco as Worzel says.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Still interesting though, even blowing the photo up 80114 looks to have a 54A shed plate not a 64A.  It's probably a trick of the light or crap on the plate or summat, but still interesting.

Other point of note the boiler and a number of fittings on 80135 (resident on the NYMR) are off 80116 which was a 50G loco as Worzel says.

How did that come about? Would be nice to run 135 as 116 in black for a while

If I remember correctly, wasn't the direct line via Washington closed on Sundays and the ore trains therefore sent via Gateshead instead?

Arp

Thanks for confirming what I suspected, Arp. Checking my old notebooks I found I rarely visited Low Fell on a Sunday - not many trains, especially freight (best chance for steam) so I didn't have many personal sightings of Sunday ore trains.

Cheers

Trevor

My photos on this thread were developed through the local chemist to give me the usual 'enprint' size (approx. 6x4 inches) prints.

With modern digital scans of the original negatives it is now possible to do wonders.

I agree. I had my photos developed and printed through the local chemist, too. They sometimes used to make the decision not to print a picture and, looking at the negative, I very seldom disagreed. With a modern scanner and photo-editing software, I have managed to produce quite passable images from several of those rejected negatives.

Two more at Kingmoor shed on 28/11/64

1) Taken on the occasion of my final (of twenty) A3 'cop' (although I was to see it at Low Fell several times in 1965). Salmon Trout was an Edinburgh engine so presumably had worked in to Carlisle over the Waverley Route.

2​) An​ oil tanker wagon somehow managed to appear in this shot of Connaught and partly obscure the smokebox door!

Trevor

post-24907-0-59665300-1507738585_thumb.jpg

post-24907-0-21494300-1507738608_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

How did that come about? Would be nice to run 135 as 116 in black for a while

Not really any idea, although I suspect its just a coincidence.

We ran 80104 as 80116 for a gala a few years back, although I believe 80135 will be back in lined green.  Yes, I know its not correct, I know rivet counters get hot under the collar but that's what the owner specified when he was alive and because of the way he helped the NYMR over the past 30 years they will more than likely respect his wishes again.

• Like 1

I took a Brownie 127 photo of Salmon Trout on that very day! But I arrived on a jinxed railtour from Birmingham. A very poorly late substitute Brit that, when it did finally get up to a reasonable speed somewhere south of Garstang & Catterall then deposited its fire plus metal bits on the track. Eventually worked forward by a Black 5 that went round the curve at Penrith VERY fast.

Were you on the tour, or did you just busk it with the crowds?

I even took some colour prints with my own Brownie (on a mega bash by coach to every English shed N of Wigan/Staveley), and ,when sunny, got good results.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1) Taken on the occasion of my final (of twenty) A3 'cop' (although I was to see it at Low Fell several times in 1965). Salmon Trout was an Edinburgh engine so presumably had worked in to Carlisle over the Waverley Route.

2​) An​ oil tanker wagon somehow managed to appear in this shot of Connaught and partly obscure the smokebox door!

Trevor

Hi Trevor

I am really enjoying these photos, thank you.

I am a tad disappointed you didn't get anymore of the tank wagon in the photo I can see it is a RCH 1927 14 tonner. It has been renumbered into the A series, the A is just visible. What was its number and did it have platforms with or without ladders? :dontknow:  Sorry there is very little information on the Shell-BP wagons during this period and the fleet was a right mish-mash of types I am trying to build up a picture of what they had so any ones that are identifiable I am making a note of them. It is a pity all these years after how much our railway we didn't record because we (I am very guilty) were more interested in the engines not anything else. Plus with the cost of film and development of the prints (if they came out) meant most people photographed what they enjoyed about railways and that was locomotives.

I took a Brownie 127 photo of Salmon Trout on that very day! But I arrived on a jinxed railtour from Birmingham. A very poorly late substitute Brit that, when it did finally get up to a reasonable speed somewhere south of Garstang & Catterall then deposited its fire plus metal bits on the track. Eventually worked forward by a Black 5 that went round the curve at Penrith VERY fast.

Were you on the tour, or did you just busk it with the crowds?

I even took some colour prints with my own Brownie (on a mega bash by coach to every English shed N of Wigan/Staveley), and ,when sunny, got good results.

Hi RfDforever: I just tagged along with the party!  My earlier post on this thread (#22) includes two other photos taken on the same day, including the 'Royal Scot' which took your train south from Carlisle that evening. Thank you for clarifying the workings of the Special. I have further checked the details on the excellent 'Six Bells Junction' website and have amended my incorrect caption. How about you sending in some of your pics as well from that day, if you have them scanned? We would love to see them.

Cheers

Trevor

Hi Trevor

I am really enjoying these photos, thank you.

I am a tad disappointed you didn't get anymore of the tank wagon in the photo I can see it is a RCH 1927 14 tonner. It has been renumbered into the A series, the A is just visible. What was its number and did it have platforms with or without ladders? :dontknow:  Sorry there is very little information on the Shell-BP wagons during this period and the fleet was a right mish-mash of types I am trying to build up a picture of what they had so any ones that are identifiable I am making a note of them. It is a pity all these years after how much our railway we didn't record because we (I am very guilty) were more interested in the engines not anything else. Plus with the cost of film and development of the prints (if they came out) meant most people photographed what they enjoyed about railways and that was locomotives.

Thanks Clive. I had cropped off the right hand side of the picture you saw, not realising it might be of interest. This sectional enlargement shows everything from the wagon that was on the negative.

Hopefully all of the number is there. 

Cheers

Trevor

post-24907-0-20908200-1507762528_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Love your pics of Kingmoor, Trev.

I visited Kingmoor quite a few times from 1964, my last visit being 29/12/67. One the first occasion there were just under 100 locos on shed. A wonderful sight, indeed!

Whilst most locos were stabled at the front or inside the shed, there was always a few lurking at the back behind the shed, including the occasional surprise!

Visitors from Scotland, I presume.

60027 'Merlin' (Brownie 127 - 1966)

post-7898-0-66934500-1507798757_thumb.jpg

61244 'Strang Steel' (Brownie 127 - 1966)

post-7898-0-93668300-1507798800_thumb.jpg

Mal

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi RfDforever: I just tagged along with the party!  My earlier post on this thread (#22) includes two other photos taken on the same day, including the 'Royal Scot' which took your train south from Carlisle that evening. Thank you for clarifying the workings of the Special. I have further checked the details on the excellent 'Six Bells Junction' website and have amended my incorrect caption. How about you sending in some of your pics as well from that day, if you have them scanned? We would love to see them.

Cheers

Trevor

Thanks Clive. I had cropped off the right hand side of the picture you saw, not realising it might be of interest. This sectional enlargement shows everything from the wagon that was on the negative.

Hopefully all of the number is there. 

Cheers

Trevor

Personally, I share Clive's interest, IMHO you've let a kettle get in the way of a tank wagon!

Mike.

Continuing on the subject of the 28/11/64 railtour; those in the front half of the train (including me) were told to get off at Upperby, with the remainder going to Kingmoor. Buses ran between the two points so tha everyone visited both sheds. I was disappointed because I thought Kingmoor was the far more interesting shed and, because of late running, the light was fading before when we got there. However, I did get a few shots at Upperby and the best was one of 46255, just withdrawn.

To show the results that could be obtained from a Brownie 127 in good conditions there's one on the mega-bash; Sunday April 10th 1965 but the shed and number of the Q6 is somewhere ion those spotting notes.

Thank you for the invitation to join the thread

post-32408-0-08549800-1507824408_thumb.jpg

post-32408-0-66446500-1507824408_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Continuing on the subject of the 28/11/64 railtour; those in the front half of the train (including me) were told to get off at Upperby, with the remainder going to Kingmoor. Buses ran between the two points so tha everyone visited both sheds. I was disappointed because I thought Kingmoor was the far more interesting shed and, because of late running, the light was fading before when we got there. However, I did get a few shots at Upperby and the best was one of 46255, just withdrawn.

To show the results that could be obtained from a Brownie 127 in good conditions there's one on the mega-bash; Sunday April 10th 1965 but the shed and number of the Q6 is somewhere ion those spotting notes.

Thank you for the invitation to join the thread

Great to see some colour from a Brownie 127 - that's something I never attempted. I should have done for my shot of the red 'Coronation' shown earlier!

I think the Q6 with its innards hanging out is at West Hartlepool, judging by the coaling stage on the right.

Thanks for sharing.

Trevor

Two more local ones (i.e. Tyneside):

The rather clean (at least at the front end) B1 was at Newcastle with a parcels train.

The second one proves that a Brownie 127 is no match for an A4 in full flight! Actually it is 60009 with the 'last A4 to Kings Cross' Special at Low Fell on 24/10/64 (or the  'Jubilee Requiem' to give it its proper name.)

That's probably all the 1964 pictures worth showing from me, but please keep yours coming in, chaps! 

Cheers

Trevor

post-24907-0-52927100-1507838212_thumb.jpg

post-24907-0-60487200-1507838298_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely pictures here.  Like many people of my generation, my first camera was a Brownie 127, IIRC when I was 9 in 1961.  I never managed to take anything like as good as some of these with it; the lens just wasn't as sweet at the appropriate range.  It was ok for family portraits, something I had no interest at all in in those days, but little else, and I 'shook' many of my early photos, having trouble picking up the technique of squeezing rather than pressing the shutter release.  All my railway pictures with it were terrible underexposed blurred failures, a shame since they include my only shot of a King at Cardiff General, actually my only shot of a King prior to 1971!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

A few more Brownie pics - Kingmoor 1966

attachicon.gif92249 Kingmoor 1966.jpg

44884 & 44986

attachicon.gif44884 & 44986 Kingmoor 1966.jpg

70053 'Moray Firth'

attachicon.gif70053 'Moray Firth' Kingmoor 1966.jpg

That nice shot of the two Black 5s reminded me that 44884 was the first '4er' I ever saw - early days at Low Fell, it was hauling a dead V2 - which rather let the home side down, I thought at the time! This was before I was let loose with the family Brownie 127.

Trevor

• Like 1