I do not know where these were taken

DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Many of you have looked at my photos here and on fotopic, and some of you have tried to guess locations where I knew the answer (those are in Wheeltappers).

This time though I really do not know the location.

Most of mine and Dad's photos are catalogued, but from time to time I find uncaptioned ones.

Here are two of them, probably taken around or before 1955 by my late father. At the time he lived in Nottingham, but did travel and had a number of track permits.

Does any one recognise the station, I suspect the second photo is looking the other way.

post-5613-127006922653_thumb.jpg

Image J01

post-5613-127006923446_thumb.jpg

Image J02

Many thanks in advance

David

Dave,

Just thinking out loud but it has a LNW feel to me.

The signal in the second picture would certainly suggest that to me - I *think* it looks like an LNW lower quad when compared to this picture, but I'm almost totally ignorant of the former LNW network.

Adam

Any way of getting a better scan of the poster (on the LH shelter) and nameboard on the first picture? You might at least get a rough guess of the number of letters in the name. Don't suppose the poster would help, but you never know.

• RMweb Gold

The signal in the second picture would certainly suggest that to me - I *think* it looks like an LNW lower quad when compared to this picture, but I'm almost totally ignorant of the former LNW network.

Adam

Its an upper quadrant :O ;)

• RMweb Gold

Could it be somewhere on the Watford Junction - St Albans Abbey line?

This is just a wild shot in the dark - I've no hard knowledge to suggest that that is the location.

• RMweb Gold

Any way of getting a better scan of the poster (on the LH shelter) and nameboard on the first picture? You might at least get a rough guess of the number of letters in the name. Don't suppose the poster would help, but you never know.

Thanks for the idea. It is actually a reduction from a 28Mb scan. I cannot read the poster on the wall, but there looks to be a BR sausage on it!

The station nameboard angle does not allow letters to be counted, all I can see is that they are raised. The adjoining negatives don't help, they are of a picnic with friends "somewhere"!

Looking at the rails in the second image they seem to be polished, certainly in comparison which the check rails etc on the turnout.

One of the adjacent negs is of an ex LMS 8F, but it only shows a side of the engine front half, no landscape etc!

David

• RMweb Gold

Could it be somewhere on the Watford Junction - St Albans Abbey line?

This is just a wild shot in the dark - I've no hard knowledge to suggest that that is the location.

I think it might have been a bit far away for them - if they went out with friends it would have been in their friends pre war car, so they didn't go too far.

Thanks for the idea though.

Right at the top of the first pic beyond the small goods loop there's another turnout going right. So I have the layout as a single track passing station with a small goods loop with a 'something top somewhere' going off the passenger loop. I guess that the station lies N-S or NW-SE judging by the position and height of the sun, the second pic looking towards the northerly direction.

Western Sunset is correct, it is on the LNW. Asnbourne to Buxton line, both photographs were taken from the road over bridge at Tissington.

Thanks David.

I was beginning to think it might've been Shepshed on the Coalville - Loughborough line, though the rails were rather too shiny for that backwater.....Yes, definitely Tissington.

• RMweb Gold

Western Sunset is correct, it is on the LNW. Ashbourne to Buxton line, both photographs were taken from the road over bridge at Tissington.

David, Western Sunset and others, many thanks for the identification as Tissington.

Funnily enough I too had wondered about Shepshed, but realised it didn't look right as I remember Dad once built a layout based oon it.

• RMweb Gold

At the moment I have only 3 more where I cannot confirm the location, photos below, of a loco shed.

post-5613-127015299242_thumb.jpg

ImageH01

post-5613-127015299761_thumb.jpg

ImageH03

post-5613-1270153003_thumb.jpg

ImageH04

Anyone any ideas?

David

The coaling stage on http://www.annesleyfireman.com/ is under Annesley MPD listing. Scroll down this link about a quarter of the total page length.

Got to admit that it's not Annesley. Those two photos show that the steps on the structures are totally different, let alone the cabin which only exists on the Annesley coaler.

Sounds to me like Western Sunset knows the location very well.

Archived