I do not know where these were taken

DaveF

The LNER had a "sort of" standard mechanical coaling plant; hence the many similarities between that at Colwick and Annesley. Though with such a large structure there were bound to be differences between individual ones.

One thing that gives the location away as not being Annesley is the lack of 9Fs around the shed.

• RMweb Gold

Now the knowledgeable have tied down the shed location, can I point out the impressive level of memorabilia vandalism in the second photo? We know that spotters might carry the odd spanner to make off with smokebox numberplates, shedplates etc, but here some enterprising oaf appears to have made off with the whole cab! Style!

Just come in and I said Colwick straight away, the first one just for the sheer size of the shed building, then there's the loco types, 04, J6 and austerity and the huge mounds of coal on some of the tenders.

The second one is not obvious to me especially as it shows a V2, don't think colwick had many/any, however depending when the picture was taken, it could be one of Leicester Central's in for repair, as Colwick was the major depot on the district (38A and Leicester was 38C)

The third one once again says Colwick with B1, L1 and A5 visible, must have been taken in the mid-late 50's

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the identification of Colwick everyone.

I think the images are probably from before 1955 from where they were in Dad's negative file.

I suppose I now have to admit that I lived in and around Nottingham until I was 16, so I should have recognised them as Colwick. My defence is that in my teenage years I spent most of my spare time sailing not visiting loco depots!

If I find any more unknown locations I'll certainly put them on RM Web for identification. Meanwhile these will find themselves on fotopic fairly soon (and in the gallery here).

I noticed the cabless V2, also the various types of 16T open in the same photo.

David

Archived