RMweb

Bachmann Spares and Parts

John Tomlinson

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Does anyone have an Email address for Bachmann that can be used to buy spare parts from them. Their website contains neither 'phone or email contact details that I can find.

I'm hoping to buy a detail pack for a BR green Patriot.

Many thanks,

John.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Does anyone have an Email address for Bachmann that can be used to buy spare parts from them. Their website contains neither 'phone or email contact details that I can find.

I'm hoping to buy a detail pack for a BR green Patriot.

Many thanks,

John.

Link to contact form here - http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/service/s_charge.php

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Ive just been in contact lately with the spares department following seeing posts on here. Have to say service was excellent and dispatch was prompt. Highly impressed.

In my experience, ordering spares from Bachmann is dead easy. The parts are usually with you damn quickly, too. It's so nice to be able to ring them, and the person on the other end of the phone actually knows which part you are on about!

• RMweb Gold

Pity Hornby aren't as helpful, tried buying spares from them and they didn't want to know.

That's odd as I have brought spares from Hornby with a prompt delivery and less expensive than Peters Spares.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have found Bachmann's service department to be fast and excellent. The only problem is they don't have spares available off the shelf. Case in point I need one pin for a Class 08 crank (are we talking 30 pence?) and I have to buy an entire wheelset for £10 and they only have that wheelset because of an 08 returned to them damaged under warranty and broken up.

Luckily it is rare for my Bachmann models to be in need of spares, compared to bits falling off and getting lost or breaking off on some other manufacturer's models. Unfortunately you could find are in trouble if you want to customise / repair your Bachmann models the way things stand. Also means that there is little chance for example of buying Bachmann Class 90 pantographs and using them to upgrade your other stock; and there seems to be quite a few modellers on here saying that is what they are hoping to do.

Going forwards we need to keep our fingers crossed that Bachmann will start to stock more comprehensive spares, or that their models become a lot less reliable, more get sent back under warranty and broken up !

I have found Bachmann's service department to be fast and excellent. The only problem is they don't have spares available off the shelf. Case in point I need one pin for a Class 08 crank (are we talking 30 pence?) and I have to buy an entire wheelset for £10 and they only have that wheelset because of an 08 returned to them damaged under warranty and broken up.

Luckily it is rare for my Bachmann models to be in need of spares, compared to bits falling off and getting lost or breaking off on some other manufacturer's models. Unfortunately you could find are in trouble if you want to customise / repair your Bachmann models the way things stand. Also means that there is little chance for example of buying Bachmann Class 90 pantographs and using them to upgrade your other stock; and there seems to be quite a few modellers on here saying that is what they are hoping to do.

Going forwards we need to keep our fingers crossed that Bachmann will start to stock more comprehensive spares, or that their models become a lot less reliable, more get sent back under warranty and broken up !

I agree with the first two lines of your comment & the last paragraph.  A few years ago I wanted an A1/A2 tender for a South Eastern Finecast A2.  I had made up their kit of an A2 before the Bachmann A2  was released.  The tender was of cast white metal so obviously reducing the haulage capacity.  After the release of the Bachmann A2 it was about 2 years before they had a standard plastic one in stock for me to purchase.

Nine months ago one of my Jubilee Bachmann DCC chassis failed.  It was the decoder but I decided I wanted to update the loco with a new DCC ready chassis.  When I contacted Bachmann they said that they did not stock separate chassis!  I finished up buying one on E-Bay.  If Bachmann stocked their DCC ready chassis to replace the Bachmann or Mainline original chassis they could make a fortune.  But be aware that the DCC ready chassis is not a simple replacement.  It requires a little bit of work to get it to fit.

Peter

Edited by Crewlisle

• RMweb Premium

Afraid it was a stated policy by Bachmann that they would not be making the new Chassis available as spares for general availability. A lot of folk find this a disappointment, having been used to being able to buy the complete older 'split chassis' as a readily available spare.

Who wouldn't want to be able to replace or upgrade failed or now outdated chassis, but Bachmann only want to sell complete model locos these days.

While Bachmann's service department is very good, it has to operate within the limitation of 'what spares are available'. And the time to go looking for spares is the instant you become aware of the need, ideally while a batch of the model in question is on sale: because that's when the supply of spares from returns which are broken up is most likely available.  A little understanding on the part of the customer will assist: many models share common components, even though they have different part numbers. In my (limited) experience Bachmann's service personnel won't issue on the basis of a common part, the customer has to order against the part number that is available.

Personally I quite like this situation in one respect; as I regularly break up models when 'mining' them for the parts I need for projects. The off-falls generally sell pretty easily, and that's because spares are not in free supply! 'It's an ill wind that blows no-one any good'.

Afraid it was a stated policy by Bachmann that they would not be making the new Chassis available as spares for general availability. A lot of folk find this a disappointment, having been used to being able to buy the complete older 'split chassis' as a readily available spare. Who wouldn't want to be able to replace or upgrade failed or now outdated chassis, but Bachmann only want to sell complete model locos these days.

They made a rod for their own back there!  The yet flakier Mainline split chassis was never offered as a separate spare AFAIK, nor do the longer established competition: Hornby, Heljan or Dapol;  offer OO mechanisms routinely as spares; and we will have to wait and see whether the new kids on the OO block ever venture such an offering.

Bachmann selling the split chassis mechanisms as spares was in my opinion an acknowledgment that this was a short life construction. I would 'use up' a typical split chassis mechanism in about five to six years, due to total wear through of the platings in the conduction path. There was no difficulty finding the spares, retailers were very happy to finally shift them; this because they were shelf sitters despite a reasonable price, typically half the retail price of a complete model. I can well believe that there wasn't much profit in it for Bachmann or the retailer.

For comparison the same operational treatment meted out to their conventional steel axle/wiper pick up mechanisms over seventeen years has yet to cause any wear out requiring spares purchases. Now, when I want a mechanism, it's the cheapest version on sale and sell on the body and anything else left over as described above. A little patience searching out a good price and selling on the parts not required, typically results in a mechanism under half the average retail price of the complete model. I doubt that a commercially offered mechanism spare would be so cheap.

• RMweb Premium

The yet flakier Mainline split chassis was never offered as a separate spare AFAIK .......

Really? I'm sure that I recall seeing, years ago, most of the split chassis as spares in Mainline packaging, in R&D Models, Cambridge.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm sure that I recall seeing, years ago, most of the split chassis as spares in Mainline packaging, in R&D Models, Cambridge.

Had no idea such were available. Back then, when there was time for a little model railway diversion, it was usually in a mainland European or North American retailer; wherever business had taken me. The quality of HO then so far outstripped RTR OO, that my future thoughts were that something from the hige choice in HO was most likely. Little suspecting that OO might one day get a very significant upgrade...

• RMweb Gold

Really? I'm sure that I recall seeing, years ago, most of the split chassis as spares in Mainline packaging, in R&D Models, Cambridge.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I don’t know for mainline, but Bachmann produced a good number of chassis in blister packs for Jubilees, 4MTs and I think possibly 03’s, J72s and Pannier tanks. They were straight swap replacements for Mainline equivalents and were sold as such. Edited by adb968008

In my experience, ordering spares from Bachmann is dead easy. The parts are usually with you damn quickly, too. It's so nice to be able to ring them, and the person on the other end of the phone actually knows which part you are on about!

yes not some overseas call centre malarkey........

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great service from Bachmann. A while ago I bought a second hand N class for a future project. When working on it I found that the loco to tender coupling was damaged and there was a screw missing.

Left message via website on Tuesday evening, reply with price on Wednesday, so ordered by phone. Delivered Thursday, fitted on Friday.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1