The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Can anyone identify this?

Del

We have such a wide range of experience and knowledge on here, that I'm hoping someone might know the answer here!

Someone on a classic/retro car forum that I'm a member of has 'inherited' this unusual item, but is having real problems identifying exactly what it is.

It appears to be some kind of 1970s kids toboggan/sledge for dry slopes.

Basically, you sit in it at the top of a big hill, release the brake, steer the front 'wheel' with the handles and try not to die before you reach the bottom...

The wheels seem to be from (or closely related to) James Dyson's ballbarrow, and there's a similar modern thing called a Ball Rider, but we're no closer to identifying this particular one.

d6ca380d4ba1.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like fun, I wonder if it's a home brew, using wheelbarrow wheels?

post-18627-0-75872600-1507755994_thumb.jpg

The quality of the welds looks a bit sub-standard, and I think I spot a bike brake lever, two car brake pedal rubber covers as a back brake, and the steering bars are probably wheelbarrow handles.

Could be a small backyard manufacturer, but my money is on a lunatic with a welder, two wheelbarrows, and a thirst for danger!

Peter

As Peter said, could it possibly be a homebrew? 

Those "wheels" definitely look like wheels from the original Kirk-Dyson ballbarrow

Kirk-Dyson-BallBarrow-300x252.jpg

... and edited to say - that seat looks suspiciously like some of the chairs that we used to have at school.  Might it have been a school chair in a previous life?

Perhaps this was a school project?  How on earth did we survive? :blackeye:

Edited by Robert

A bit more from the OP (c & p from his other forum thread):

I seem to remember them being on Tomorrows World back in the late seventies or early eighties.

My uncle won the thing in a competition in the early eighties I think. Anyway he tried it once, and decided that it was too dangerous to use then put it in his garage

As Peter said, could it possibly be a homebrew? Those "wheels" definitely look like wheels from the original Kirk-Dyson ballbarrow... that seat looks suspiciously like some of the chairs that we used to have at school.  Might it have been a school chair in a previous life? Perhaps this was a school project?  How on earth did we survive?

While a job by a small welding outfit is possible, I too tend toward the school project idea. We did things like this at the school I attended, which had a kart building and racing team and dabbled in banger racing; all under the heading of 'vehicle maintenance'. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that the 'Testislide' is going to present significant hazard. The steering looks like it would rapidly and unpredictably act divergently, and if the rear brake had enough capability to act on the rear wheel it would quickly lock it making the whole thing very tailhappy indeed.

But for the young of my time this was of no account. The message at school was pretty clear, we must expect our country to put us in uniform and to be sent to some foreign field to cause serious inconvenience to others, and possible be seriously inconvenienced ourselves. A significantly less risk averse time in my estimation as a result. We got significantly injured and no-one thought much of that, and some time after I had left a boy died in one of the school karts. (Several others had done for themselves on the roads - typically on two wheels - and the narcotics trade saw off a few more, among my immediate contemporaries.)

A couple of electric motors and some sort of gyro stabilisation system could make this ball-rider a bit of a laugh. Not sure how it would perform in winter with a decent layer of snow/ice, though.

Wonder if I could give it a home.....?  :scratchhead:

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

I would say rather further up the food chain, in that the bends in the tubing look to have been "engineered" rather more than a typical school project might result in.  While I am doubtful that it is a Mattel product, it looks to have involved spare balls from said wheelbarrows, and probably a small scale manufacturer.  

I'd try it on a hill...mind, I'm an engineer as per ^ :)

(and I used to race GT Snowracers downhill, including at the local ski hill after hours.  The best that can be said is "amazingly enough, they were sober...")

James

• 7 months later...