Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

A big thank you to everyone who went to Folkestone show, we thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and I hope everyone else did as well. We didn't get back to Glenn's until half eleven and I got home about twelve o'clock last night, hence why I have not been on here until now.

Nice of you two to post some photos. We don't get much chance to put the layout up at Glenn's and I always seem to forget my camera. The other thing is that as we tend to look at the layout from an operating point of view at exhibitions and we don't always see different view points to take photos, so it is always nice to see what interests other people.

So that's the South East covered for this year....off to the South West in three weeks time.

• 4 weeks later...

A quick thanks to everyone who came to the Taunton Show last weekend. We had some very interesting conversations with a lot of people and we obviously bribed the Somerset Railway Modellers Club enough as we won best layout as voted by the club members (actually very surprising and very complimentary).

Only one week later and we are off to Wightrail in Newport, Isle of Wight this weekend (we must be mad, two exhibitions in two weekends).

We look forward to enjoying what would appear to be a perfect weekend weather wise and hope a few visitors from nearby Hampshire or Dorset will fancy making the trip across the water.

• Like 2

Hi,

Your layout is truly inspirational.   I saw it in the flesh at Perth Model Rail 2014 and spoke with you guys about how you went about making such an incredible layout.  Thanks for all of your tips.   I like the sub-station you have, surrounded by green fencing.   Its at the end of the layout.  Can you tell me, is this a scratch build sub station or a kit/ready to use model?   I would very much like one like it for my layout!   I hope you can help.

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Dave

We have two sub-stations actually, one for each end of the layout. They are Hornby Scaledale R8747 ones which come with a brick wall around them but if you remove one of the walls you can easily get to the parts inside to prise them from the base.

When we built the layout in 2009/2010 they had become rare as Hornby hadn't made them for a couple of years, luckily one of our local club members had one and I got another off the internet. I don't know whether they have been reissued in the meantime.

By the way, the fencing is by Gem. Reference 4701 for the plain fencing and 4702 for gates.

Our two sub-stations are below, good luck in your search.

646056756_WheelLatheandsub-station22May2010.JPG.55100a84bb336e9078cf24dbbf116a22.JPG

1124887850_Shoresupply2April2010.JPG.cdcc15f27a0d421213bdc14bebfb2e48.JPG

Edited by Flood
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

It's certainly been a while since the last post, I blame Christmas (and any other excuse I can think of).

First things first, we won't be at Model Rail Scotland in 2015. Some confusion seems to have occurred but Glenn and I did manage to have a chat with the organisers at Warley. They are looking to send us details for the 2016 exhibition.

Also we are struggling for helpers (due to other friend's personal circumstances) over the Easter weekend and have had to pull out of the Turner's Folly exhibition.

The list of exhibitions for this year is therefore:

January 31st/Feb 1st 2015: Stafford

March 14th and 15th 2015: Perth Green, Jarrow

May 10th and 11th 2015: Roundhouse, Derby

I seem to think there was another one as well but I can't remember it at the moment. So apologies to our Scottish friends in not informing you earlier about the change of plans.

We haven't added any new locos or rolling stock to the layout recently but we will be looking at hopefully modelling some more interesting trains from Scotland in the late '80s period over the next year (don't hold ya breath).

In the meantime if anyone has any questions, or just wants a general chat, please feel free to post as you please.

I seem to think there was another one as well but I can't remember it at the moment. So apologies to our Scottish friends in not informing you earlier about the change of plans.

We haven't added any new locos or rolling stock to the layout recently but we will be looking at hopefully modelling some more interesting trains from Scotland in the late '80s period over the next year (don't hold ya breath).

In the meantime if anyone has any questions, or just wants a general chat, please feel free to post as you please.

We will be at the Chatham Show - June 13th -14th.

• RMweb Premium

Also we are struggling for helpers (due to other friend's personal circumstances) over the Easter weekend and have had to pull out of the Turner's Folly exhibition.

January 31st/Feb 1st 2015: Stafford

Hi fellas, look forward to catching up with you at Stafford on the Saturday as I'm bringing a car load up from darn sarf, and I haven't seen the layout for a couple of years and don't think it was frosty then. If you're ever stuck for a driver I know my way around a Prodigy! ;)

Hi fellas, look forward to catching up with you at Stafford on the Saturday as I'm bringing a car load up from darn sarf, and I haven't seen the layout for a couple of years and don't think it was frosty then. If you're ever stuck for a driver I know my way around a Prodigy! ;)

Thanks Temeraire! As it happens that's something new for this year: we were having reliability problems with our Prodigy system so we've changed to NCE! Stafford will be the first time we will have used it at an exhibition, so it's fingers crossed that we'll have mastered it by then. What could possibly go wrong?

It will be great to see you again though, so do come and have a chat.

Just to whet a few appetites before Stafford next weekend, I've been working on some of our latest additions - penultimate blue HST power car, 43102 (looking a bit the worse for wear as it approaches its CEM overhaul and repaint into Swallow livery):

post-7306-0-39635400-1422141098_thumb.jpg

post-7306-0-96487100-1422141130_thumb.jpg

I also have a Hornby HST set in Executive livery, which has been fitted with Kadees and weathered, ready for the show. There's been a good deal of comment on the latest batch here on RMWeb and there are many things wrong with them - particularly the buffet (see some of my posts on Revised Hornby Mark 3s), but with some work, they can be considerably improved. I've added the missing roof vents to the buffet and changed the cantrail stripe to yellow to change from a TRUB to a TRFB:

post-7306-0-89137700-1422141530_thumb.jpg

post-7306-0-12763500-1422141549_thumb.jpg

We're looking forward to next weekend and to seeing as many of you who can make it.

Edited by Dunedin
  • Like 2

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to tell me!

Certainly. If you find the post you want, scroll up so you see rmweb.co.uk in the address bar at the top of the screen. Hold your finger on that for a second or two, then release. The full address will then be displayed. If you then hold your finger on that, you can select and then copy it. You need to do that before you start writing your post though, I think, but it will be on the clipboard, so you can use it later. When you get to the point in the post where you want to insert the link, tap and hold your finger at that point and the paste option will appear. Then you can insert the link.

It may sound slightly involved, but it's actually quite quick. Good luck!

Aberdeen Kirkhill is up and ready for running at Stafford show this weekend.

Please come and see us if you can. Regardless of our layout being there I've always thought that Stafford is one of the best shows on the calendar.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well it's nearly time for the next exhibition and I even have something new to show you all. Well I bought it ages ago and I've only just got around to finishing it.

1588074104_Maestrovan(4).JPG.64e1c702c6583b495ee55016f123f879.JPG

1861941145_MaestroVan(1).JPG.a1847d281495c9dbd8c9c9cec66e1c35.JPG

436971430_Maestrovan(2).JPG.e9609423800bfc6cd790aba4d5da8ebc.JPG

1249806960_MaestroVan(3).JPG.6bd986ce1c8bb1e286ff563361f2a2a4.JPG

Many thanks to Merfyn Jones for the registration plate details. The offside front wheel need touching up and that white patch on the rear bumper has already been done.

In case you have all forgotten what this did look like over 3 years ago here's a reminder:

193106480_Maestrovan.JPG.285495f624366415711eb5861843bcae.JPG

The North East here we come.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

What's this, I hear you all cry. For months the guy has done no models at all for Kirkhill then two turn up in just under a month.

Just like buses, you wait for ages for a van then two turn up all at once. We always felt we needed some vans that were a better representation of the late 1980s; the Maestro van has replaced a Bedford HA and now I finally have a Sherpa to replace the Mk1 Transit.

I say finally because I ordered a Freight Rover 200 from Kingfisher Miniature Models about 2.1/2 years ago, paid for it and it was never delivered. Numerous emails had no result so I remained frustrated. Last year Road Transport Images brought out a 1976 Leyland Sherpa so I bought one at Perth Exibition. The last month has been spent changing the 1976 spec into an early Freight Rover 200 (revised front end, virtually original Sherpa back end). The finished result is as below but first I've also included the image of the Sherpa from RPI's website just to show what the unaltered model looks like.

post-7112-0-31008800-1428765534.jpg

post-7112-0-43407000-1428849277_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-72144200-1428849279_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-43261500-1428849281_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-92941700-1428849274_thumb.jpg

Again, many thanks to Merfyn Jones for the registration plate details.

Both the vans will hopefully be weathered by Derby exhibition next month. Enjoy the photos and please come over to the Roundhouse to see Derby's exhibition and ourselves.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 7

Very nice Flood, I had similar long wait for Kingfisher Sherpas, I ordered 2 each of the Leylands and Freight Rovers. I forget how many e.mails I sent to them, some excuses were received. They arrived eventually, after a couple of years. Both very good castings and a bit cheaper than the RTI version.

Merf.

ps That Transit always did look too old on your layout.

Edited by Merfyn Jones

Thanks Bob, I've been scouring the internet for photos of Clayhills for the last 4 weeks trying to find photos of Sherpa vans.

The main photo I modelled from was this one:

post-7112-0-67855000-1428835883.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/widnes_road/8057069924

I think the one you've found was a later replacement, F834KGA

post-7112-0-55074400-1428835889.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/calderdepot/8652946967

Mine has still got the old rear light clusters, as per this photo

post-7112-0-08556600-1428835876.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15972196@N03/6549205321

Edited by Flood
  • Like 4