BT Models cease trading

mikeharvey22

It has been reported on the Model Bus Federation website that BT Models (aka Base Toys) have ceased trading. This has been confirmed by the UK importers, John Ayrey.

The BT range was originally conceived as a modular product with a range of mix and match cabs, chassis and bodies for trucks, but also includes bespoke vehicles like crewbuses and vans on the BMC FG chassis, articulated and drawbar trailers, buses and coaches in N and 00.

The availability of stocks at the importers is unknown at the moment.

All the best and good luck to John Audrey with continuing the brand and range (especially in N gauge where it is more needed and possibly likely to be most beneficial).

However I guess the limited range (1950/60s period vehicles and commercials - trucks and buses- only) would have restricted appeal. Perhaps they will look to broaden the range, which would be welcome.

G

That's great that BTM will continue the range.

However, I (mis)understood that Bachmann had taken over Base Toys/B-T Models.

I'll have to stock up on T45 cabs just like Tamperman, especially as I've just received SCAMMELL transfers from Kingfisher....

Steve

• Like 1

The news broke a couple fo weeks back and although John Ayrey are planning to take over the range, its reported that all existing tooling and stock in China is now in the hands of the Chinese Govt equivalent of the administrator, which will take some unravelling.

Frank Waller was delighted at the news, not widely known is that BT plagiarised a number of his cabs to produce the original range, they could have made a better job of it mind.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am really sorry to hear this news. B- T Models AEC Mammoth/Monarch/Mandator, Guy Otter/Warrior, Albion CX and Dodge Kew cabs are particular favourites of mine, and are not available anywhere else. They are real gems,

John Storey

• Like 1

I am really sorry to hear this news. B- T Models AEC Mammoth/Monarch/Mandator, Guy Otter/Warrior, Albion CX and Dodge Kew cabs are particular favourites of mine, and are not available anywhere else. They are real gems,

John Storey

Most, if not all, of these are available from Road Transport Images!

Frank Waller was delighted at the news, not widely known is that BT plagiarised a number of his cabs to produce the original range, they could have made a better job of it mind.

I am always a bit surprised by this sort of comment. Don Craggs showed me a lot of the original masters in raw plasticard used for guidance in pattern making in China and they were definitely not bodged RTI cabs. Generally Bob Fridd's originals for the RTI range were altogether more accurate than the Base Toys articles. Designing for injection moulding and home resin casting are quite different processes.

I am always a bit surprised by this sort of comment. Don Craggs showed me a lot of the original masters in raw plasticard used for guidance in pattern making in China and they were definitely not bodged RTI cabs. Generally Bob Fridd's originals for the RTI range were altogether more accurate than the Base Toys articles. Designing for injection moulding and home resin casting are quite different processes.

No doubt that the RTI ones were far better representations but the admission of the origin of the masters was to Frank himself by the originator of the initial range. Also, I dont believe Don had a great deal of input into the Base truck range, he kicked the thing off but had sadly passed on by the time it progressed to the tooling stage and I'm not so sure that it was those original masters which were used. There's no doubt that the Bristol LD was based on the resin Little Bus kit, of that I am certain and I believe Little Bus gave their blessing, albeit perhaps reluctantly as they'd no plans to repeat the kit in the future. Presumably the MW had similar origins, although with horrendous results on the initial runs.

I did have some input into the Dominant although sadly too late to prevent it ending up with Dominant IV style flat glass side windows instead of the curved profile of the Dominant II, an error which really ruined an otherwise sound model. At least it was recognised and corrected on the 2mm version.

Edited by RANGERS

No doubt that the RTI ones were far better representations but the admission of the origin of the masters was to Frank himself by the originator of the initial range. Also, I dont believe Don had a great deal of input into the Base truck range, he kicked the thing off but had sadly passed on by the time it progressed to the tooling stage and I'm not so sure that it was those original masters which were used. There's no doubt that the Bristol LD was based on the resin Little Bus kit, of that I am certain and I believe Little Bus gave their blessing, albeit perhaps reluctantly as they'd no plans to repeat the kit in the future. Presumably the MW had similar origins, although with horrendous results on the initial runs.

I did have some input into the Dominant although sadly too late to prevent it ending up with Dominant IV style flat glass side windows instead of the curved profile of the Dominant II, an error which really ruined an otherwise sound model. At least it was recognised and corrected on the 2mm version.

Yes, Tony Asquith (who was Little Bus Company at the time) actively assisted BT in doing the Lodekka. He actually showed me a couple of pre-production models (for which there is now no need for secrecy). I can't remember whether he also assisted with the MW model, although it wouldn't surprise me if he did. I know Tony has also generously assisted other small manufacturers, particularly with models that weren't already in the LBC range or weren't planned for that range.

• Like 1

No doubt that the RTI ones were far better representations but the admission of the origin of the masters was to Frank himself by the originator of the initial range. Also, I dont believe Don had a great deal of input into the Base truck range, he kicked the thing off but had sadly passed on by the time it progressed to the tooling stage and I'm not so sure that it was those original masters which were used..

Don died in 2008 and the first cars and commercials were released in early 2007 covering all of the cabs I had seen at North Weald in 2006. But I am happy to bow to your superior first hand knowledge if it came from the master builder. Who was that?

Don died in 2008 and the first cars and commercials were released in early 2007 covering all of the cabs I had seen at North Weald in 2006. But I am happy to bow to your superior first hand knowledge if it came from the master builder. Who was that?

You'd need to ask Frank who that was, as I mentioned, it was him that related the tale of how the range came into being, it was repeated in his latest newsletter to customers.

It is something of a mystery how such fine original masters turned, in some of the range at least, into little more than passing representations of the prototypes they represent.

My fleeting involvement with Base didn't come until about 2009 when a 1970s coach was first mooted and despite our best efforts to persuade Norman that a Dominant I or a Plaxton Supreme would offer greater livery options, Dominant II it was. Unbeknown to us, the tooling was already well advanced and by the time we saw the pre-production models, which was when the liveries were being finalised and I was asked for some assistance with the NBC ones, was it apparent there was such a glaring error with the side glass.

Edited by RANGERS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello everyone

Who or company take over base toys or crease trading ?

I was disappointed over base toys been made leyland t45 lorry by red tanker , white bed flat

The business is still going under the control of John Ayrey Diecasts, I believe. Their web page lists the full Base Toys, BT, Britbus ranges. http://www.ayrey.co.uk/startframe.html

• RMweb Premium

The business is still going under the control of John Ayrey Diecasts, I believe. Their web page lists the full Base Toys, BT, Britbus ranges. http://www.ayrey.co.uk/startframe.html

Isn’t that just old stock though? I’ve been waiting for the announced United bus , but it’s never turned up and it’s not on that list