The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The 'antidote' to Warley?

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been to Warley a few times but not for a couple of years now.

I found myself enjoying the event less and less. It just became too difficult to get a good view of the popular layouts or get to the traders stands that I particularly wanted to visit.

In any event, this year I had another commitment on the Saturday. So, rather than spending 3 hours in the car to reach the NEC, Mrs 4630, step-4630 and myself headed the much shorter distance from Huddersfield to Leeds Beckett University for their open day. Step-4630 is taking his A levels next year and is keen to pursue a career in journalism.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Went to Warley (by train). Found myself a bargain after 30 seconds (3 southern coaches). Put them into the Bachmann stand not to carry them around the whole day. Enjoyed browsing the shops and the layouts. Met a few guys from Milton Keynes Model Railway Society as well as RHB Paul and had a good time. Didn't buy anything else and went back to the train at 4:30. Fell asleep on the train and was happy enough to wake up at Northampton :)  - two stops before I had to get off....

Edited by Vecchio
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A normal Saturday for me.

A bit of shopping then went to Mum's and spent the morning with her - watching a Railway DVD - at 93 she still likes Railways and has her own subscription to Railway Magazine.  I also did some garden work for her.

Made us both lunch lunch and checked she has something for her tea before returning home mid afternoon.  Whilst in her kitchen I was able to watch some boats in the harbour.

Back at home I sorted out some more photos for RMWeb and flickr as well as doing some more planning for extending my Swiss n gauge layout.

David

• Like 11

I've been quiet productive (for once) and made a new modelling bench 48" x 20" and 34" high out of a piece of 1" block board (formally a table top) and hinged off the wall so if space get tight it can be stowed hanging downwards. All that needs doing now is finding a length of 20mm conduit for the front legs, that's tomorrows job.

I'll be interested to see the Youtube versions of Warley as they get uploaded though.

Guy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I went to Warley - a not very comfortable train ride northwards at the train was packed but quick paying and getting in to the show.  For once I reckon I actually managed to see about 60-70% of it and probably 60% of the layouts but a quick glance at many of the latter saw me on my way elsewhere, the show is poor value if you're after a hall full of top notch layouts although there were some very good ones (and some very very good ones).  Spent a fair bit of time chatting with various RMweb and magazine folk plus a couple of booksellers (Volume 2 of Taunton - Barnstaple is on the way from Lightmoor, pay in advance at the show hopefully it will arrive with the Postie before Christmas - so I lashed out £25's worth of plastic electrons).  Had a chat with one or two of the demo folk - well organised and a broad range of demos people this year - better than ever.  

Had a few things to eat, caught a much less crowded train back to civilisation and drove home from Reading station's pricey car park.  I missed Warley last year and wasn't sorry to do so but I did enjoy it this year but it is far too big to 'do' in a single day and plenty of other shows are better in terms of layouts and almost as good in terms of traders (although traders are a good part of Warley). 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've generally enjoyed Warley on the occasions I've been, but I've had some very bad drives back to South Wales after the show, and that's a major deterrent for me, aided by the

fact that the Warley weekend tends to coincide with a busy period in my professional life. So, as with the last few years, I didn't go, but spent the day working, as I will tomorrow.

I did however squeeze in a 3 mile run before the daylight faded, as well as some guitar practise. This evening, I spent an hour fiddling with a 94XX pannier project I started earlier

in the week, and then my wife and I sat down to watch "The Good Doctor", which we're enjoying on Sky Living, and then another installment of Watercolour Artist of the Year.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to squeeze in a 6 mile run, do a bit more on the 94XX, and maybe catch an hour of Johnny Walker on R2, one of my favorite weekend treats.

Not to knock Warley at all, it is very good value for what it is, but in terms of my own modelling inclinations I'm increasingly likely to look forward to Railwells or one of the

similar smaller shows, where I often find I can get more of the bits I'm after.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This year instead of going to Warley I walked into town for the weekend papers, had a hot chocolate to warm up and spent the rest of the day fitting curtain poles in the sitting room. One of my fillings fell out too, Polo related incident, mint not the sport for toffs or the small German car.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

100 mile round trip to visit Mum in a Nursing Home and to do shopping for Dad. She's not recovering very well and he's never been on his own before - not sure what the future will be for either of them . . . 

Tomorrow clear my bookcases and pack boxes ready for our house move.

Started Christmas shopping - as per usual, bought my cats present and nothing else! Took elderly friends dog out. As it was such a beautiful day down here, went much further than usual - get back and dog does 6 wall of death circuits of living room as though he handn't been anywhere, until halted by dinner bowl.

Get home to find latest edition of Archive, British Mining Nos. 103 and 104 have arrived - result, no modeling this weekend!

My own personal antidote to Warley is to stay away from the Warley thread. Something that I've achieved this year with only limited success. I'll pay a visit again later today when there may be some more layout photos to look at. At the moment, the thread is a car crash of shopping lists and "Look what I bought!!!" posts.

• Like 2

I made one visit to Warley a couple of years ago, and did enjoy it, though needed more time to look around.

Although I commuted by train to Bristol for 30 years and was used to crowded trains I found the crush at New Street station, and International station on return, to be almost scary,

and standing up all the way back to Bristol is not something I want to repeat often!

Yesterday I went to the Burnham and District show at Highbridge where the stand out layout was the superb Blowers Green 7mm layout.

Today a walk along the seafront and a pint or two is called for,

cheers

• Like 4

I’ve been a Warley regular for a few years now but this year it clashed with a holiday so my “Warley Weekend” was spent in the Maldives where we have a four day break following a tour of Sri Lanka.

Saturday

post-6861-0-42877000-1511696517_thumb.jpeg

Sunday

Bit different to the NEC.

post-6861-0-25197400-1511696810_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I was here, signalling trains so that people could get out and about... Then home and then out to the smoke for some Chrimbo shopping while the little un was away.

Today I'm here again.....

Andy G

• Like 1

Actually yesterday was the first time In went to the Warley show since 2010. At one time, pre-internet it used to be the big model railway 'spendathon' of the year with a big build up before the event discussing what model was coming out and what we needed with the others who were going. To me,it lost that excitement and appeal somewhat with stuff being readily available with a click of the mouse, but it felt really good to go back there again and it was a good show (and yes, I still managed to spend a monkey).

• Like 2