RMweb

For those who like to run/jog.

OnTheBranchline

I'm working up to it. Current PB is 5.33km in 30 minutes, next run I'm ramping up to 35 mins. 60 mins is the target, hopefully I can average 10km/h for an hour eventually.

Fastest run was 20 minutes last Thursday, average of 11.2km/h, but I was totally gassed after that.

• Like 3

Good effort!

Been running for decades, but now having had back issues just taking things slowly.

Best ever marathon was 3 .45. And seemed to consistently run halfs at about 1.45 to 1.47

Main thing is to enjoy it, don't over train or push yourself toooo hard.

Get proper advice re trainers and change them every 400 miles or so.

I ran for years in flat arch shoes, then got proper advice and found I was actually a high arch........found out by standing on slate step outside of house and thinking hello.............

Good luck, enjoy it.

• Like 3

Good start mate.I love running but after years of playing football, running etc my body doesn't like it any more! Havent run for a few months now but still do a lot of HIIT at the gym. I found running a fantastic stress buster. As said before enjoy yourself.

Steve.

I started running about 3 years ago to help with my cycling. I now enjoy both, but still prefer cycling. I have never been one for running alone but there are lots of good running groups near me.

A lot of my friends are stat addicts but I would rather just run socially then push once in a while.

• Like 1

Well done!

Get involved with your local parkrun - great to be able to run each week with others for free

Agree with that, Parkruns are fantastic, I've been to my local one a few times and the atmospheres always great and sometimes it's good to run with people.

Steve.

• Like 1

A lot of my friends are stat addicts but I would rather just run socially then push once in a while.

I quite like the stats for seeing how I'm progressing. It's helped to keep me pushing myself. (I also consider that what I'm doing now isn't terribly impressive so I don't think that I'm boasting; hopefully I'm right about that...).

I left home late and had to get a "jog-on" for the commute this morning. Not an easy proposition given my knackered right ankle (Kronenbourg related injury).

Fear not friends, made the train due to Abbelio's inability to run an on-time service. Phew!

I liked the fact I connected with my commute...not much else.

This thread's not meant for me is it...?

C6T.

• Like 2

Me too, been running for nearly forty years but very much in the twilight now. Had a go at most things over the years but I won't bore you with stats.

Rarely do 'races' but I did do a 10k this year in about 49mins, was pleased with that considering.

Brendan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I started out with the 5k challenge and for someone who had never been any good at running found I was really enjoying it then started to slowly add distance to my route. It was then that I twisted my knee when working and following ongoing problems the doc has banned me from running. Never thought I would miss it so much hope I might be able to start again one day

• RMweb Gold

I try to run 5k most days and get in a 10k once or twice a week, but I'm not into stats and times as much as just getting out and about and clearing my head.

My knees aren't great but I wear stretchy supports on both and oddly enough, the more I run, the more they seem to be getting more resilient, especially on the downhill bits, which always used

to give me trouble. I took up running in my twenties (getting on for 30 years ago now) but it's only this year that I've made a concerted effort to push myself a bit harder and not be deterred

by the weather, even if it's pissing it down.

• RMweb Gold

Me too, been running for nearly forty years but very much in the twilight now. Had a go at most things over the years but I won't bore you with stats.

Rarely do 'races' but I did do a 10k this year in about 49mins, was pleased with that considering.

Brendan

Not surprised, I'd be pleased with that as well!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I ran regularly from winning my school's house junior cross-country championship in 1960 and being invited to run for the school. We had a consistently good team, and acquitted ourselves well in races against other schools in South Yorkshire and the North Midlands. I joined Sheffield United Harriers, the leading English cross-country club at the time, but didn't feel welcome alongside some of the more self-satisfied members. When I moved back to my birthplace, Leith, in 1970, I ran a few races with Edinburgh Athletic Club, before joining the then newly-formed Livingston and District club. As I was the only member with much experience of distance running, I was unable to get out of becoming club captain. In 1977, it was back to South Yorkshire, running for the University of Sheffield, and, later, Rotherham Harriers until arteriosclerosis put an end to my career in the mid-nineteen eighties. 

I miss the camaraderie of those years, the friendly rivalry between auld acquaintances, being pleased to see those whom one knew would give one a hard tussle, and pleased to know that they felt the same way.

One memory I must mention - 

In 1962, I think, one of my old school teachers, George Eden, a good class distance runner for Rotherham Harriers, invited me along for a long club Sunday run. As was usual, the mob began to break up into groups running at different speeds, and I found myself alongside Rotherham's star Alan Simpson out in front as exhilaration carried me along for the last six miles or so. Later, George told me that Alan had remarked: "Well, we've got one good lad there", and was disappointed to be told that I wasn't one of theirs. (Alan went on to break the UK records for 1500 metres, mile and 2000 metres, miss the bronze by a tenth of a second in the 1964 Olympic 1500m and take the silver in the 1966 Commonwealth mile, behind Kip Keino.)

Personal bests-

Six miles road: 31 minutes 12 seconds

Ten miles road: 53 minutes 20 seconds

Twenty miles road: 1 hour 55 minutes 43 seconds

Marathon: 2 hours 34 minutes 44 seconds

Scottish cross-country championship, Coatbridge, 1975 (7½ miles: 60th of app. 350)

English cross-country championship, Luton, 1975 (9 miles: 375th of app. 2000)

• Like 3

I am currently torn between knuckling down and training hard for one final hurrah, or retiring to sedentary trains. I've had over 20 years of decent road running, but the only chance of a PB these days is to find a distance I have never done. I don't mind the racing, it is the training that is a pain.

• RMweb Premium

Booked on the West Lancs Triathlon with daughter yesterday - four months to go. It's only a 5km run after 400m swim and 18.5km bike.

Nearest I've got was a "try-a-tri" about two years ago, with a 200m/5km/1.5km

The only running I've done is a 10k in 47m30s nearly 30 years ago and a marathon (in 6 hours with an injury) 16 years ago. (I'm now on the upper side of 55....)

I have done a few 100 mile bike rides so no problem with that. I regularly rode 14 miles to work once each week last year.

I used to be able to swim 1500m in 40 minutes (my 21yo daughter can do 3000m in 1 hour, but she's carp at run and bike)

25km on the bike today -first ride in 6 months due to injury. The swim and run (fast walk)  training starts this week......

Cheers,

MIck

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Speaking of triathlons, I keep meaning to do a duathlon (run-bike-run) as my swimming properties resemble those of a house brick.

Been running on and off for years, one of the reasons I'm up this early is to join the local group of nutters at 9am in the park, my tally so far is over 150. I try and do 14 miles a week when I can (6,5,3).

The days of half marathons are gone as I don't think my knees can take it anymore even though I'm barely middle aged! My advice would be look after your knees and listen to your body, it's sometimes better to stop than "tough it out".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have dabbled in running at various times over the last 10 years. I wish I liked it, but I hate it. I’m no good at it, which means I don’t want to train to get quicker (I’d rather ride a bike), so I never get better, so I hate it, repeat ad infinitum!

It’s just so uncomfortable! I never seem to get into a rhythm where I think “I could just do this all day”!

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of triathlons, I keep meaning to do a duathlon (run-bike-run) as my swimming properties resemble those of a house brick.

Been running on and off for years, one of the reasons I'm up this early is to join the local group of nutters at 9am in the park, my tally so far is over 150. I try and do 14 miles a week when I can (6,5,3).

The days of half marathons are gone as I don't think my knees can take it anymore even though I'm barely middle aged! My advice would be look after your knees and listen to your body, it's sometimes better to stop than "tough it out".

It's only one data point, but my knees felt fairly shot a year or two ago, when I was running 2 - 3 times a week. It was particularly noticeable going down any sort of slope. Then, I started running every day, most days of the week, and gradually my knees seem to have recovered some strength. I still wear those stretchy elastic things on them, but I'm no longer aware of twinges in my knees most of the time, and especially when going down slopes. I can only think that the extra running must have developed some muscle that is protecting the knees better than before.

(Edit - I realise I said all this several posts ago, but that was a few months back, so forgive me!)

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 1