Damwee Yard, 1 foot x 10 inches ( revised from post 60 onwards ) micro layout.

My order... for what is worth.

1.Lay track, position buildings

2.Paint sleepers

3.Paint track

4.Ballast track

5.Glue down buildings and any other features. I weather buildings before I glue them to the base board

5b.Make cup of tea

6.Get ground cover down, ballast and sand and so on. Sod the colour. I want the texture to look right.

7.Paint ground cover with thin washes to approximate colours.

8.Hit the ground cover with weathering powders

8b.Make cup of tea

9.Glue down incidentals barrels, old planks whatever

10.Static grass, weeds

11.Admire,take pics post on RM web and wince at all the blemishes.

12.Final cup of tea

13.Revisit to touch up and fill in all those gaps

Hopes this helps.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Jerry,

When you do the second coat, try o make it a little less uniform. The ground rarely is.  :yes:

steve

Yes, I often use emulsion paint matchpots, to break up a colour that's too even, and to add weathering / tonal variety.

I once picked up a few match-pots in an end of season sale. They were only pence each, and I've still got a couple of them.....

Thanks Marc and Acklam for your replies.

Tester pots are a good idea, I use acrylic paints to stop swmbo nagging about the smell of others.

Photos can be cruel for showing up errors but you can quickly hide those.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

I have done a bit more to the layout today.

Here is a photo of latest progress:post-9096-0-80845300-1516135382_thumb.jpg

I have lightened the ground cover colour, weathered it a bit and started ballasting.

I'm not sure if I'm happy with it yet, will see when it's all dry.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 7

Take your time Jerry, modelling can be a great way of de-stressing but can also have the reverse effect if you're not in the right frame of mind. 

Just do what you feel, there's no rush.

Steve.

Thanks guys for your replies, I think I need to take a break from modelling for a while, life and health are making it difficult and I just can't seem to think straight so I'm going to have a break and come back to it.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Jerry, if you need to take a break - then you must take one matey
Sorry to hear you have some health woes. But I find, even when I'm not doing modelling, I'm doing sketches or planning some scheme or other
Hope you get back up & running with this project again soon

Best
Marc

Hi Jerry,

Sorry to hear about your issues - I find modelling can be a nice relief from life's woes but it can also be infuriating! Hope everything sorts itself out asap for you.

You've done a cracking job on the DAS clay, it's come up a treat to my mind.

Enjoy the break, and keep looking at photos, magazines, articles, websites etc - I tend to find something just 'clicks' into place when I do that.

So sorry you're not feeling so good Jerry. I think we can all lose our modelling mojo at times, especially when life, work or health issues get too much. Maybe a bit of "armchair modelling" is the way to go for a bit.

I for one will miss your little essays and hope you find your way back to us soon. In the meantime all the best to you and your family.

See you soon,

with regards

Bill

When things aren't going so well for me with the models, I find myself jotting ideas down on scraps of paper and making plans in project books.

I probably have too many ideas  :scratchhead: to ever get them all done. But in the end I come back to model-making in some way, shape or form. My better half surprised me with a Lego train set for Christmas and I had a lot of fun with that, felt a bit like a kid again. Now I'm just mulling over some ideas for the cakebox challenge. Maybe I'll see you there.

Regards 

Thanks Bill.

I have entered the cakebox challenge, see Hardlia yard.

I used to have a Lego town my wife and I built a couple of years ago, we have got rid of it now but we enjoyed building the kits and designing the town, it's good being a kid sometimes.

Jerry.

That's a shame Jerry but you have to do what's right for you. Like I said before there's no rush to do anything, you might fancy coming back to your project at a later date or you might have a completely new idea to get on with. There's no right or wrong so whenever you start something new good luck and I'll look forward to seeing it on here.

Take care Jerry.

Steve.