Stanley Bridge WCML N gauge

shanks522

Hello all,

First off i'll explain why i'm building yet another layout! The Revolution Pendolino is not to far away and i would like to have somewhere for both of mine to stretch there legs!

I'm not going for anything to fancy, quite simply a three track section of the WCML crossing from one side of the board to the other. 

When i say not to fancy, thats the visible bit! i will be building two small helix's either end so that the scenic section runs diagonally across the board, i prefer this as it makes for some nice viewing angles, underneath will be a couple of loops per track which will be automated. 

I'm fitting what i'll call the UP and Down lines with conventional DC, but the Bi directional line will be capable of both DC and DCC.

Nothing is set in concrete yet but i'll be pinching a few ideas from Kinlet Wharf, i.e.  Canal in front of the WCML which will be on embankment. 

overall size is 8' x 2'1''.

Baseboard construction started today and track laying will follow very quickly!

Graham.

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 6

Wouldn't a three track WCML suggest a pre Pendolino period, isn't it now a 4 or 2 track affair again.

Yes, but there is going to be a fair bit of modellers licence, 3 tracks is a little more interesting i think.

could be south of Acton bridge, or maybe between Rugby and Nuneaton, ( i believe this is 4 now? )

At the end of the day i just want something where i can watch the trains go by.

Graham.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Still a bit of three track between Rugby and Nuneaton: Brinklow to Attleborough and it includes the bit with the canal adjacent to the line.

Go for it!

Paul.

• Like 1

My WCML whenever I get time to start it will be 3 track also I think - though I'm looking at the Birmingham to Wolverhampton line. 3 tracks is a good number as it allows for fast trains to overtake a slow one, without needed the extra space for 4 tracks obviously.

I'm planning a similar size, a bit longer if I can fit it in, so I'll be fascinated to see how the helixes allow for the diagonal track layout.

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I had built the skeleton of the baseboards when i started the topic but couldn't get a decent photo of it till now.

The layout will sit above my 00 gauge layout on two 4x1 beams and can be stored away when not needed.

post-6774-0-40648000-1514828231_thumb.jpg

I need to come up with a name too, any ideas very welcome!

Graham.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Looking like a good start and I must ask where did you get that lovely royal train from? Name wise maybe a bit too south for your layout but I take the little one to Banbury Lane just off the A5 north of Towcester to watch the pendo's go by maybe something along those lines, could work for a name?

• Like 1

Looking good Graham. I am looking forward to watching it progress. The idea of having something simple to enjoy the trains going by at speed sounds good.

For the name I don't know it will help, but for maid's morton I was struggling so I looked at the map along the WCML and picked out somewhere small with a name I liked that could prehaps have been along the route if it had been mapped out a bit differently all those years ago when the first lines were laid.

It gave me a nice balance between it being a totally fictional layout and all the freedom that brings as well as keeping a very tiny link to a possible reality.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

How about the fictional Northamptonshire village of Tilting Over?

Mim

Hi Mim 

I like it!

For the name I don't know it will help, but for maid's morton I was struggling so I looked at the map along the WCML and picked out somewhere small with a name I liked that could prehaps have been along the route if it had been mapped out a bit differently all those years ago when the first lines were laid.

Hi David,

I'm already thinking of adding a branch / flyover  like Norton bridge. 

I think i'll concentrate on the fiddle yard for the time being.

Graham. 

• Like 1

Looking like a good start and I must ask where did you get that lovely royal train from? Name wise maybe a bit too south for your layout but I take the little one to Banbury Lane just off the A5 north of Towcester to watch the pendo's go by maybe something along those lines, could work for a name?

Hi Jimmy,

The Royal train came from eBay, It looks like Electra graphics vinyls, and applied very well.

Banbury Lane, Sounds good, A road bridge could be a good scenic break and a nice tie in with the name.

Graham. 

• Like 1

Some years ago I was stood on the platform at Long Buckby station waiting for the stopping train to arrive. Every few minutes it seemed a Pendolino would sweep by going one way or the other. The station is on a curve and since Pendolinos all look alike to me it wasn't hard to imagine I was on Richard Bransons's roundy round train set. Rather like a 1:1 version of this layout.

Sometimes a model can look like the real thing. Sometimes the real thing can seem like a model.

Mim

Edited by Mim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Graham I'll have to look into that, it looks very smart. That was my thoughts in regards to the scenic break the advantage of using Banbury Lane as a basis for a scenic break is you can have an abrupt end to the scene without having to model a cutting as the rising land around the line is man made for the new bridge to replace the level crossing with the surrounding area being mostly flat.

Edited by Boco_D1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing more progress on the layout.

Was wondering about a name of “Pendolinotons 11” highlights purpose behind building layout and gives an excuse for a village football match scene somewhere on the layout?

Phil

• Like 1

Hello all,

Thanks for the name suggestions, I've been putting Pendolino into an anagram maker and coming up with some quite amusing names.

Layout wise i've got all the track and electronics needed for the automated fiddle yard, just need a few hours to crack on and install it!

Graham. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Any updates on the layout. Have you got a short list of names yet?

Hi Phil,

Update, well sort of, i began laying the fiddle yard a few weeks ago then ran out of track, more arrived but its still in the box as time is extremely limited! I have been doing the odd half hour here and there but mainly wiring up point motors and track etc.

My next job is to start on the automated loops but now i have power to the layout i keep running my sound fitted locos which rather distracts progress!

Name wise i haven't done a thing, part of me wants to call this layout Stanley Bridge as the other one is very much on the back burner.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 1

Hello all,

Thanks to this weeks snow and some forced days off i've made some progress on the layout, one helix is now complete and my hope is to get the other one done tomorrow, Some of the fiddle yard is laid but i'm awaiting delivery of some more point motors.

Photo's to follow.

Graham. 

• Like 2

Hello Graham

How about for a name it starting with Shanks ie

shanks lane

shanks meadow

shanks crossing etc etc

no doubt itll look an excellent layout when finished.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Not a bad idea!  will give it some thought.

Graham.

Hello all,

Just to prove somethings happening/working, heres a quick video of a 66 climbing the left hand side helix.

I've been testing all manner or locos and stock to make sure all runs ok, the helix needs some adjustment before i move on but at least its progress ( just not as much as i'd like! )

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 8

Love the sound!

But is it not going to seem odd having all that noise when trains are off-scene? Is there an easy way in DCC just to have the sound when the loco is on the visible part of the layout?

Hi Joseph,

Yes your right it will sound a little odd, one thing that will help when the helix is complete is it will be fully enclosed, hopefully dulling the sound down, not all my locos are sound fitted so its not  major problem.

Graham.