Stanley Bridge WCML N gauge

shanks522

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all, 

Work is progressing on track alterations, photos to follow when things are tidier. 

Todays additions, Cavalex PGAs, beautiful little wagons! 

IMG_1985.jpeg.149288afa266ac22e19dce1c5c26a1be.jpeg

I filmed a few trains at Tonbridge back in 2018 and this stone train really appealed to me, just something different from the normal block workings, Thanks to Cavalex I can now replicate it. 👍

second clip is the train I’m going to model. 

Bit of weathering and I’ll be halfway there. 👌

cheers 

Graham. 

• Like 9

On 07/11/2023 at 18:39, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Graham,

Yes, that train is lovely.  I saw similar consists near me in Cambridgeshire for a long time and have a similar plan... except I will be using an NGS curved sided hopper too...

66188Manea2014.JPG.d41799bd9c839e50a391c8d7a76de99d.JPG

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, 

Another great example, I must get a few NGS hoppers to add to the mix, only just noticed on the video there’s a DB red one in the train too. 

Graham. 

• Like 1

On 07/11/2023 at 21:46, Steadfast said:

Add me to the list of people mixing some PGAs into a set of RMCs too! The white livery will soak up some weathering brilliantly 

Nice progress on the layout too Graham, really coming on well.

Jo

Hi Jo, 

Really must continue with weathering my rolling stock, get side tracked way too easily. 

Think your graffiti vinyls may get used on the RMC hoppers now 👍

Graham. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shanks522 said:

Hi Jo, 

Really must continue with weathering my rolling stock, get side tracked way too easily. 

Think your graffiti vinyls may get used on the RMC hoppers now 👍

Graham. 

Nice, the RMCs look great when grubby and covered in graffiti

Jo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all, 

‘Tis the season for railway modelling. 

I’ve got three scenic sections on the layout, all independent so it’s nice to jump from one to the other when I feel like it, today I’ve picked up on the depot and started to paint/weather the hard standing. 

A few layers of paint built up then some washes added. 

IMG_2616.jpeg.78038a7d211979e56ba38b1bb0d417e7.jpeg

measured out some cut lines in the concrete to represent expansion joints. 

IMG_2622.jpeg.48eb2ce40882053357e32b7aa02adebc.jpeg

Placed some fencing, shed building etc to get a feel for it. 

IMG_2631.jpeg.5e251057edf376454d24aece1e51c967.jpeg

Then some stock and vehicles. 

IMG_2645.jpeg.5ad4398e21362cae71b7edecbdde4ea1.jpeg

It’s going in the right direction, once I clean all the track I’ll start bedding things in place and blending it in. 

Graham. 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year to all. 

Some more work on the depot, well turntable area. 

most exciting job, wiring! Not! Rather than wire droppers to each track and drop through the board I simply piggybacked them all together then dropped them at either end. 

Then onto placing blue tac in-between the check rail and running rail before coating the whole area in easifill. 

IMG_2798.jpeg.d41a010788a3eebc4b5628696995ef5a.jpeg

IMG_2803.jpeg.6a0cef52d19029abdb49e3c687f9b9bf.jpeg

Graham. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

New loco for the new year, Another Farish 90 on the books, this one wasn’t a great runner straight out the box but an hour on the rolling road seems to have cured it, only issue I have now is haulage capabilities, it’s fine on the level but on gradients / helixes she’s not happy! Problem is with the weight of the loco, just not heavy enough!  I might try to add more but running it with another 90 will be the solution I think. 

Graham. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, shanks522 said:

Problem is with the weight of the loco, just not heavy enough!  I might try to add more but running it with another 90 will be the solution I think. 

Partly due to the advent of sound ready, but as they often hunt in pairs, double heading is one (if slightly expensive) way forward....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Partly due to the advent of sound ready, but as they often hunt in pairs, double heading is one (if slightly expensive) way forward....

Definitely 👍 

be rude not to add another to the collection, orange or green though 🤔

Graham. 

Edited by shanks522

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, shanks522 said:

be rude not add another to the collection, orange or green though 🤔

TTG witht the red triangle logo, or original green. Oh, they haven't been done yet. Go orange....

Dave

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, 

ventured into the loft to work on the layout and spent most of the time tinkering with rolling stock and track cleaning! 

I saw a post somewhere about using WD40 contact cleaner for the track, I’ve been using it for a little while now and it really does seem to do the job, sprayed on a cotton cloth and wipe on/off. Everyone’s a winner. 

IMG_3326.jpeg.3ea8d429a6e254e3fe7c3ff88c2b3991.jpeg

Rolling stock wise I’ve been persevering with my RevolutioN mk5s and not much luck! Tried all the recommended things and have also removed all the electrical pick ups hoping to make them free running but still no success, can run 8 but only with a Farish 60 which struggles on the gradients, think it’s time to model Wembley carriage sidings and leave them there! 🤣

Also been playing with a 92 to try and add more weight to it, it’s better but still no good with the sleeper, I’m considering using a new class 60 chassis and making a Frankenstein 92! 🤔

I did give some trains a run! 

Graham. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Graham,

I am very sorry you're still having trouble with your Mk5s.

Please email our support manager Simon using the email address in the instructions and give us the oppotunity to help you.

The scrap train looks great!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

The scrap train looks great!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks to some advice by your good self a few years ago, you mentioned that removing the wheels and painting the face a rust colour really brought the bogies to life and it certainly has! 

cheers 👍

Graham. 

• Like 1

Hello all, 

weekend engineering work! 

I’ve been pondering on this for a while, trains leave the storage yard in the Up direction, once on the main layout I built a return loop to get them onto the Down line, all works ok but I’ve now developed a new scene which will hide the pointwork and I’d rather not do that. 

So, move the point back to the junction, this will mean I can have two trains running on the layout and bring out a new one ready to join in the Down direction, the benefit being I have no need to block the Up line. 

Red circle point to be removed, yellow line will be Up slow. 

IMG_3373.jpeg.a95c64b8fa6d51db7fe20f276b59efad.jpeg

existing. 

IMG_3365.jpeg.da5e515ef1ae6bcf21ee2ee2d8a356ca.jpeg

planned

IMG_3368.jpeg.d793e076380924d6bbf36fe2e71e9fc7.jpeg

The point is in and wired, need to destruct the scenery a little to get the new track in place. 

Still very much work in progress is the new scene, all that will be in view here is the viaduct and a small station, im taking inspiration from Low Gill and features from the S&C. 
just something a little different and an excuse for some semophores and a 158! 

IMG_3377.jpeg.53a510d24c5b6ab941f7e9ade3e226b2.jpeg

A short video of the return loop in action. 

cheers 

Graham. 

• Like 9

Hello all, 

More of a play day today, testing a pair of 90’s  with an intermodal train. 

I’ve been having a few issues with different container wagons, some derailing for no reason, others uncoupling on the gradients, just general annoyances that need to be sorted. One of the first things to change is couplings! I’ve tested a few vehicles with Hunt swivel magnets but because the vertical movement is non existent this was a major factor for derailments, my solution, Dapol easi shunts, these have cured 99% of the problems! Lots of testing to do but so far so good 👌

Graham 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hello all, 

Not done much on the layout but have been collecting more stock! Should be reducing it!!! 

Another Freightliner 90 on the books has sorted the haulage problems on the gradients. 

cheers 

Graham. 

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, 

little push forward this weekend, completed the track work for the new goods loop, wired, tested and then ballasted, just weathering to do. 

Also started pouring some realistic water in to the canal, I’ve been playing round with colours  over the last few weeks and oddly in the photo it looks a lot darker than in person. 

IMG_3949.jpeg.f03a81c70672f611acd7dabcc14eae50.jpeg

IMG_3951.jpeg.b7d0568afc023c8671495ef053bde4d1.jpeg

Graham. 

• Like 8