Evercreech Junction 1961

cctransuk

John explained that he will use Peco bullhead so he will probably have to wait quite a while for anything but straight turnouts. Once curved ones were available, they would no doubt be too tight for the layout anyway.

So, short of building the track himself, straight track is the obvious choice.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to watching  the development and construction of this layout. My visits to Evercreech were in its final years, most of my pictures are on their own thread here somewhere. One feature which alwaysstood out was the row of bufferstops  above the station. Will you manage to play around with levels enough to represent this in the model?

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Premium

John, if you would like to study a few formations for your Cleethorpes then the Ivo Peters S & D books covering 1960/61/62 show quite a few photo's and the stock is identifiable. There are then all the summer season North/Midlands Bournemouth workings bringing other 'interesting mixes' to the line.

However  I can provide several interesting formations for the Cleethorpes circa 1961 if you wish; (there was an 11 coach maximum and they were then double headed, the train loco almost always being a 7F allowed 10 max). 

Sadly this is almost all I know about the route as I never travelled on it. I never knew the Cleethorpes existed until I was researching for my own layout (Seaton Junction). Like many folk I know something of the route through its popular history. I really regret never seeing Bath GP and Bournemouth West.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

John explained that he will use Peco bullhead so he will probably have to wait quite a while for anything but straight turnouts. Once curved ones were available, they would no doubt be too tight for the layout anyway.

So, short of building the track himself, straight track is the obvious choice.

The new Peco turnouts are quite easily 'modified' to curvy shapes. John will be fine using that method as he can create his own geometry (within certain bounds). 

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Personally I'd rethink this one – you have an enormous amount of space at your disposal relative to most folks but it's almost entirely full of straight track work – unlike the real location. 

I most definitely won't be building track - there's more than enough for one person here, without learning an entirely new discipline. Peco will - in time I trust - produce all that I will need.

I want to build an environment within which I can look at and run my stock - I'm not after a meticulous reproduction of every molehill around the station. If it is possible to run a (near) prototypical sequence of (near) prototypical trains - that'll do me !!

I am fortunate to have a comprehensive library of S&DJR books and a considerable collection of railway photos, taken in the environs of EJ station, so it should be possible to recreate something that looks the part.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Shipley MRS did a splendid version of Evercreech Junction, sadly lost to fire.

That's terrible - I hadn't realised that it was gone!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to watching  the development and construction of this layout. My visits to Evercreech were in its final years, most of my pictures are on their own thread here somewhere. One feature which alwaysstood out was the row of bufferstops  above the station. Will you manage to play around with levels enough to represent this in the model?

Thanks

Dave

Dave, I'm afraid that all track will be as near billiard-table horizontal as I can achieve - I have read too many horror stories associated with gradients on layouts!

Nonetheless, a little contour-juggling outside the trackbeds may still allow the model to look less than fen-like!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I want to build an envirinment within which I can look at and run my stock - I'm not after a meticulous reproduction of every molehill around the station. If it is possible to run a (near) prototypical sequence of (near) prototypical trains - that'll do me !!

I am fortunate to have a comprehensive library of S&DJR books and a considerable collection of railway photos, taken in the environs of EJ station, so it should be possible to recreate something that looks the part.

That's exactly how things should be except for maybe an exhibitiuon layout.

Your layout, your fun and memories.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

John, if you would like to study a few formations for your Cleethorpes then the Ivo Peters S & D books covering 1960/61/62 show quite a few photo's and the stock is identifiable. There are then all the summer season North/Midlands Bournemouth workings bringing other 'interesting mixes' to the line.

However  I can provide several interesting formations for the Cleethorpes circa 1961 if you wish; (there was an 11 coach maximum and they were then double headed, the train loco almost always being a 7F allowed 10 max). 

Sadly this is almost all I know about the route as I never travelled on it. I never knew the Cleethorpes existed until I was researching for my own layout (Seaton Junction). Like many folk I know something of the route through its popular history. I really regret never seeing Bath GP and Bournemouth West.

Phil

Phil,

All contributions gratefully received !!

I have all of Ivo's books and films of the S&DJR, so it's just down to finding the research time to compile more authentic rakes.

I did (once) visit Bath Green Park station, to meet my Dad off a Bournemouth train, but I never travelled on or visited any other part of the S&DJR.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

I have a set of half plate photographs taken towards the end and soon after closure. Full of detail.

I can't remember the name of the photographer but I think they passed to the trust after his death.

They will be invaluable and a must, if you don't already have them.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Personally I'd rethink this one – you have an enormous amount of space at your disposal relative to most folks but it's almost entirely full of straight track work – unlike the real location. 

I'm inclined to agree, I think it's much too straight. Building pointwork isn't all that difficult and certainly a lot easier than that 10100 kit you're waiting for....

• RMweb Premium

I'm inclined to agree, I think it's much too straight. Building pointwork isn't all that difficult and certainly a lot easier than that 10100 kit you're waiting for....

Michael,

I'm sure that you're correct - but, apart from a 6' x 3' Hornby Dublo 3-rail trainset that lived beneath my teenage bed, and an even smaller North Wales NG (4mm. scale) layout, this will be my first, and last, layout.

post-2274-0-99690500-1513548226_thumb.jpgpost-2274-0-18004200-1513548236_thumb.jpgpost-2274-0-22583700-1513548244_thumb.jpgpost-2274-0-15736600-1513548252_thumb.jpgpost-2274-0-29031400-1513548279_thumb.jpgpost-2274-0-41441400-1513548297_thumb.jpgpost-2274-0-02720600-1513548309_thumb.jpgpost-2274-0-24622700-1513548338_thumb.jpgpost-2274-0-89734600-1513548346_thumb.jpgpost-2274-0-99957600-1513548366_thumb.jpgpost-2274-0-34727600-1513548380_thumb.jpg

I know what I am (reasonably) good at; I haven't tried track-building, (and have no great desire to learn at my age); and I don't expect to have enough years left in me to build EJ, including the track, and have time to enjoy it. There's loads of stock left 'to do' - as the above stocklists show - and I enjoy stockbuilding.

OK, straight is boring, but I have limited width compared to length; and stock storage is paramount. I only have myself to please, and it'll do for me.

10100 has no place on the S&DJR - but it WILL appear, and I look forward to the challenge of building it.

When you're 21, you have your lifetime ahead of you and you can dream of building everything - but you haven't the money to do it.

When you're 68, you may have the money, and space, but you realise that you've probably only got one shot at building your ideal.

If you want to have time to play with it, and enjoy the building process, you might as well concentrate on doing yourself the bits that give you satisfaction, and buy-in the bits that don't really worry you. Curvature is only a straight line messed-about with - (there speaks a civil engineer-as-was)!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I look forward to seeing this develop. Ivo Peters albums inspired my photography and gave me the idea of photographing 'my own patch' intensively.  Maybe I missed it in the text, but I wonder which period or year you are choosing to model...?

Larry,

Strictly, according to the thread title, 1961 - but I can't leave out the last of the S&DJR Johnson 0-4-4Ts can I? (Craftsman kit, not the forthcoming RTR).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Premium

John,

I have a set of half plate photographs taken towards the end and soon after closure. Full of detail.

I can't remember the name of the photographer but I think they passed to the trust after his death.

They will be invaluable and a must, if you don't already have them.

Bob

No, Bob, I don't have them.

It astonishes me every time I see evidence that RMweb members, with no acquaintance with the OP whatsoever, are so generous with their time, knowledge and property.

My new thread today, (created mainly due to our cat, Shadow, being ill; and me consequently not being motivated to concentrate on modelling), has been a perfect demonstration of the open-heartedness of this group.

Thanks to you all,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I'm tempted to agree with the previous comments about strait track, in just 17.5ft I have a nice revers curve that ads both flow and length to the view IMHO.

attachicon.gifSouth Yard 6 005.JPG

attachicon.gifSouth Yard 6 001.JPG

I don't disagree - but if I am to retain a comfortable operating well - where two operators can pass - and also accommodate the station / yard trackwork together with the storage yard (which is a prerequisite) - it's straights I'm afraid.

..... unless you can show me how?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Mundane, but characterful - the containers :-

CONTAINER STOCKLIST

ORIGIN    TYPE       DESCRIPTION / LOAD                                                                       DIAGRAM               NUMBER

BR           A             SMALL COVERED, 4T.                                                                       3/001                      A 186B   

BR           A             SMALL COVERED, 4T.                                                                       3/001                      A1498B   

BR           B             LARGE COVERED, 4T, PLYWOOD                                                     3/049                      B ? B                      KIT

BR           B             LARGE COVERED, 4T, PLYWOOD                                                     3/049                      B ? B                      KIT

BR           BD           LARGE COVERED, 4T, M/BOARD                                                      3/050                      BD49356B               KIT

BR           BD           LARGE COVERED, 4T, M/BOARD                                                      3/052                      BD5246B

BR           BA           LARGE COVERED, 10T, ALUMIN                                                        3/075                      BA4326B                KIT

BR           BC           LARGE COVERED, 4T, M/BOARD                                                      3/100                      B ? B                      KIT

BR           BM          LARGE VENTILATED, 4T,(MEAT)                                                        3/150                      BM ? B                     KIT

BR           FM          LARGE INSULATED, 4T, (MEAT)                                                         3/201                      FM13076B

BR           FM          LARGE INSULATED, 4T, (MEAT)                                                         3/201                      FM13158B

BR           F             LARGE INSULATED, 4T, (EGG BOXES)                                              3/202                      F 12899B                KIT

BR           AF           SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              3/250                      AF16048B              

BR           AFU         SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              3/251                      AFU16092B              

BR           AF           SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              3/252                      AF16400B              

BR           AFU         SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              3/253                      AFU16302B              

BR           AFU         SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              3/253                      AFU16320B              

BR           AFU         SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              3/253                      AFU16327B              

BR           AFU         SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              3/253                      AFU16430B              

BR           AFU         SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              3/253                      AFU16457B              

BR           AFU         SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              3/253                      AFU65178B

BR           AFP         MEDIUM REFRIGERATED, 4T, BIRDS EYE                                        3/256                      AFP66352B

BR           AFP         MEDIUM REFRIGERATED, 4T, BIRDS EYE                                        3/256                      AFP66357B

BR           AFP         MEDIUM REFRIGERATED, 4T, BIRDS EYE                                        3/256                      AFP66368B

BR           AFP         MEDIUM REFRIGERATED, 4T, BIRDS EYE                                        3/256                      AFP66370B              

BR           AFP         MEDIUM REFRIGERATED, 4T, BIRDS EYE (FIBREGLASS)              3/257                      AFP16495B             KIT

BR          AFP         MEDIUM REFRIGERATED, 4T, BIRDS EYE (FIBREGLASS)             3/257                      AFP16496B             KIT

BR           AFX         SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3.5T.                                                           3/300                      AFX16512B              

BR           L             SMALL MINERAL HOPPER, 4T.                                                          3/450                      L  ?  B                    KIT

BR           L             SMALL MINERAL HOPPER, 4T.                                                          3/450                      L  ?  B                    KIT

BR           L             SMALL MINERAL HOPPER, 4T.                                                          3/450                      L  ?  B                    KIT

BR           L             SMALL MINERAL HOPPER, 4T.                                                          3/450                      L17253B 

BR           L             SMALL MINERAL HOPPER, 4T.                                                          3/450                      L17423B 

BR           L             SMALL MINERAL HOPPER, 4T.                                                          3/450                      L17429B 

BR           S             SMALL SUNDRIES, 3T.                                                                      3/660                      S95018B 

BR           S             SMALL SUNDRIES, 3T.                                                                      3/660                      S95213B 

GWR       AF           SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              AF4                        AF3051W

GWR       BK           LARGE COVERED, 4T.                                                                       BK2                        BK1829W              

GWR       BK           LARGE COVERED, 4T.                                                                       BK2                        BK1847W              

GWR       BK           LARGE COVERED, 4T.                                                                       BK2                        BK1850W              

GWR       BK           LARGE COVERED, 4T.                                                                       BK2                        BK1869W               KIT

GWR       BP           LARGE COVERED, 1.5T.                                                                    BP1                        BP1723W              

GWR       BP           LARGE COVERED, 1.5T.                                                                    BP1                        BP1724W               KIT

GWR       BP           LARGE COVERED, 1.5T.                                                                    BP1                        BP1726W               KIT

LMS        A             SMALL COVERED, 3T, PLYWOOD                                                    18                           A2264M  

LMS        A             SMALL COVERED, 3T, M/BOARD                                                      19                           A2298M  

LMS        BD           LARGE COVERED, 4T, M/BOARD                                                     63                           BD1814M

LMS        BD           LARGE COVERED, 4T, M/BOARD                                                     66                           BD3198M

LMS        BM          LARGE VENTILATED, 4T,(MEAT)                                                        152                         BM ? M                   KIT

LMS        BR           LARGE INSUL/VENT, 4T,(MEAT)                                                         176                         BR ? M                   KIT

LMS        FM          LARGE INSULATED, 4T, (MEAT)                                                         207                         FM872M 

LMS        AF           SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.  227                                                       AF7M                     B734575 

LMS        AF           SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.  227                                                       AF9M                     B734576 

LMS        DX           LARGE OPEN, 4T.                                                                             333                         DX788M

LNER       FM          LARGE INSULATED, 4T, (MEAT)                                                        15                           FM28E    

LNER       FM          LARGE INSULATED, 4T, (MEAT)                                                        15                           FM30E    

LNER       DX           LARGE OPEN, 4T.                                                                            32                           DX645E

LNER       AF           SMALL REFRIGERATED, 3T.                                                              227 (LMS)               AF2046E

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

I don't disagree - but if I am to retain a comfortable operating well - where two operators can pass - and also accommodate the station / yard trackwork together with the storage yard (which is a prerequisite) - it's straights I'm afraid.

..... unless you can show me how?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John, Mine that you see in the above pic is only 2 ft 6 inches wide, if that helps you.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

John, Mine that yo see in the above pic is only 2 ft 6 inches wide, if that helps you.

Andrew,

My operating space would be 1200mm. wide (approx 4ft.).

However, within that space I will need to have a generously wide loft ladder / access hatch. The sizeable items that will need to be taken into the loft, plus age / mobility considerations as I get older, incline me to keep the central area quite spacious, so that it can be used as a work area during baseboard construction. I don't want to be backwards and forwards between the garage and the loft!

The bottom line is that I need a running environment for my stock collection. If it can evoke the spirit of EJ, and operate a sequence something akin to the prototype if I so choose, I'll be more than pleased. The finished layout will be pretty much for my eyes, and those of the family only; if it looks a bit 'train-setty', I can live with that.

The trackplan above is very much an exercise in establishing how much of EJ can be reproduced using standard Peco products. It may well turn out that I could introduce a curve through the station - though at the expense of tighter radii at each end. Nothing is set in stone; when and if the baseboards are in-situ, I will be able to tell if there is scope for tweaking the trackplan to give somethin more 'sweeping'.

Meanwhile I play around with coloured rectangles, representing locos and trains, on the digital trackplan in order to get a feel of what the storage and siding areas can cope with. Not the same as driving the real thing, but it does give a feel for how the layout might operate.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

John, maybe a compromise could be thus-

Reduce the fiddle by a few tracks and plan for cassettes and spurs from which to load from the cassetes.This reduces the width of the FY side. Then you can tweak you atraight through station to a slight and sweeping curve, convex towards the operating well/concave to the top of your drawing. It would only need to be (say) 80 to 100 mm at the centre of the curve or a bit less if you just went for a reverse curve at one end only.

It really is worth having a play but keeping it simple as you intended; I was persuaded about the sweeping crves and I only have 24' length but retain 30" approximately min curves at the ends. 

post-2326-0-95957100-1513601071_thumb.jpg

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

John, maybe a compromise could be thus-

Reduce the fiddle by a few tracks and plan for cassettes and spurs from which to load from the cassetes.This reduces the width of the FY side. Then you can tweak you atraight through station to a slight and sweeping curve, convex towards the operating well/concave to the top of your drawing. It would only need to be (say) 80 to 100 mm at the centre of the curve or a bit less if you just went for a reverse curve at one end only.

It really is worth having a play but keeping it simple as you intended; I was persuaded about the sweeping crves and I only have 24' length but retain 30" approximately min curves at the ends. 

attachicon.gifImg_0663.jpg

Phil

Phil,

There is much merit in what you suggest - the end radii are currently 1100mm. (43"). I'd like to keep the stock storage on-track if at all possible - at least as far as the 'prototypical' stock is concerned. I'd like to be able to go up to the loft and run trains with the minimum of fuss.

The idea of a convex baseboard edge had not occurred to me, and it may be possible to make this change without affecting the storage area.

It could be incorporated by projecting it forward, above the central portion of the intended supporting structure / storage cupboards. In fact, it would create an overhang below which it could be possible to locate the control panel for the scenic area tracks.

There is a LOT of development work to do yet, but the curve through the station is something I'd like to incorporate, if it can be done without having toy-train overhangs on the curves at each end of the layout.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John, Make sure you have a good FIRE EXTINGUISHER up there. I was in my old Loft Layout many years ago and smelt something funny, when I turned around, the Florescent Light above the escape hatch was on FIRE, there IS only one way out normally, although I see your having Velux as well though.