Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, nice weathering on the Yeoman POAs.

Your Crompton looks right at home sat in the siding in the last photo, almost as if it was especially there for it!

Thanks.

Yeah, the Crompton does look good, even if I say so myself!

Seriously though, I think that it helps that the siding curves towards the viewer, plus enables me to add the scenics at the end of the buffer stop.

I'm pleased with the Yeomans. I've not had much success with rusting steel wagons previously, but approached it a bit differently this time and has worked out ok.

Might need to add some more now! Although they are a bit of place on Orchard Road, will be fine on the new layout (when I get round to doing some more work on it!)

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, not been back long from a very enjoyable weekend at Exeter.

No problems to report on the layout, but must thank Matloughe for his assistance today and for running one of his locos (photos to follow).

I was also good to catch up with a few RMwebbers and a good natter etc.

A couple of things that I would like to get sorted ready for the next outing at the members' day and hope to have a bit of time at the weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to see Orchard Road at Exeter this weekend - being stood between this and Yard Shunter all weekend I am now convinced of DCC for my own layout (when I get round to building it instead of playing with other people's...)

Nick C

Hi Richard,

It sounds as if Orchard Road was a total success at Exeter this weekend, well done once again mate.

I'm so sorry that I couldn't make it down with you, but it sounds as if you had fun with Ray & Darren.

Did you manage to survive Ray's 'dickie bird chorus' throughout the day?

Perhaps you need to put a scale scarecrow somewhere on your layout, just to try to counter the bird life!

All things being equal, I should make it to the club night this Tuesday, so I'll see you there.

I only hope that Len hasn't 'blacklisted' me for not being in circulation lately!!

All the best buddy, see you tomorrow.

Rob 'westcountryman' Morgan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Good to catch up with you and meet Matloughe today.

Orchard Road was looking as good as ever!

Regards,

James

Hi James,

It was good to see you again and thanks for the comments!

Good to see Orchard Road at Exeter this weekend - being stood between this and Yard Shunter all weekend I am now convinced of DCC for my own layout (when I get round to building it instead of playing with other people's...)

Nick C

Hi Nick,

Sorry I didn't realise that you were one the RMwebbers!

Thanks for comments on Orchard Road - always good to get comments.

Happy to help with DCC and if you need any further info, just ask!

All that clutter rust laden pipes and junk could do with clearing up and loading in a skip - health and safety will have a field day - disgraceful.

Ian

Hi Ian,

These were the days before all the 'elf and safety'! :laugh:

I think that I will not be adding any more junk as I don't want to over-do it!

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

It sounds as if Orchard Road was a total success at Exeter this weekend, well done once again mate.

I'm so sorry that I couldn't make it down with you, but it sounds as if you had fun with Ray & Darren.

Did you manage to survive Ray's 'dickie bird chorus' throughout the day?

Perhaps you need to put a scale scarecrow somewhere on your layout, just to try to counter the bird life!

All things being equal, I should make it to the club night this Tuesday, so I'll see you there.

I only hope that Len hasn't 'blacklisted' me for not being in circulation lately!!

All the best buddy, see you tomorrow.

Rob 'westcountryman' Morgan

Hi Rob,

Sorry that you couldn't get to Exeter.

I was far enough away from the 'birds chorus'!

Still need to find a 'twitcher' on the bridge or better still someone with a shot-gun!

Yeah, Orchard Road went down well and pleased with the comments

Which reminds me of a comment that someone made that because I have curved the front tracks towards the front of the boards, your eye is drawn into the layout. Plus, where the front tracks are parallel to the front of the baseboard, your view is drawn along the front of the layout and see the straight baseboard edge. An interesting comment and something that I will bear in mind in the future.

Also helped, I think, by having a view blocker (in my case the trees), thus drawing your view into the layout.

My only thought was that perhaps the boards could be raised by a 100mm (4" in 'old money') to improve how the layout is viewed. Not sure how this could be achieved easily though at the moment and perhaps something to ponder.....

• Like 1

Hi Richard

Great to see you & your son again on Saturday at the Exeter show.

Orchard Road was looking & working as excellently as always....

Look forward to seeing you again soon,wherever that maybe....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Great to see you & your son again on Saturday at the Exeter show.

Orchard Road was looking & working as excellently as always....

Look forward to seeing you again soon,wherever that maybe....

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill,

Was good to have a chat, whilst my son was operating.

Two things with regards to the operation

1) I like to run the engines smoothly, which is easier to achieve with DCC, particularily with good quality decoders (something that i'm not going to go into here)

2) To keep something moving most of the time - it's an exhibition layout and people want to see something moving.

Hi Bill,

Was good to have a chat, whilst my son was operating.

Two things with regards to the operation

1) I like to run the engines smoothly, which is easier to achieve with DCC, particularily with good quality decoders (something that i'm not going to go into here)

2) To keep something moving most of the time - it's an exhibition layout and people want to see something moving.

Hi Richard

I agree wholeheartedly with both your points

Cheers Bill

Wow - I skimmed on here seeing Orchard Road was updated and saw my little Beattie. :D

Thank you for having me Richard - I am sorry I haven't been in touch sooner but I have been rather unwell this week and the Doctor suggested I spend my time either in bed or out in the fresh air to recuperate. As I said, thank you for having me it was an experience on the other side of the fence at my first exhibition. I think Darren is right however - it needs a bit of muck the Beattie stand out as far to clean here.

Cheers,

~ Gary

I am sorry I haven't been in touch sooner but I have been rather unwell this week and the Doctor suggested I spend my time either in bed or out in the fresh air to recuperate.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Hi Gary

Get well soon Gary

RAY70B

• RMweb Gold

Orchard Road is now all packed up ready for the trip up to Stafford (well didn't get unpacked fully after Exeter the other weekend, except to tidy up a couple of things).

I did, however, airbrush a little more oil / grime onto a few places on the track work and inside the depot building and added a couple of 'restricted width signs'.

Hoping to have one or two visiting locos running on Saturday, so will post some photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I missed Exeter Mudmagnet and I will miss Plymouth as well due to being on holiday.Its a shame as I was gonna bring the sound locos. :cry:

I remember you mentioned that you probably wouldn't get to Exeter. Shame you can't get Plymouth either, would have been good to have a few sound locos running on the layout. Hopefully another time!

Hi Richard, good to meet you today and at last see what all the fuss has been about, Orchard Road not only looked the biz but ran so well, a credit to your modelling skills. Cheers Andy.

• RMweb Gold

I saw Orchard Road today at the RMweb day and I must say how impressed I was with it.

very good indeed

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Hi Richard, good to meet you today and at last see what all the fuss has been about, Orchard Road not only looked the biz but ran so well, a credit to your modelling skills. Cheers Andy.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, was good to finally meet you. Sorry didn't seem to have much time for a chat.

Thanks for your comments. The layout did run nicely all day.

I'll second that.

Thanks Steve.

• RMweb Gold

The layout is now safely back in the garage, but I have two repairs to make!

Unfortunately during packing up, one of the trees at the front was broken and one of the fuel storage tanks was knocked off. Not too much to worry about though.

I bought a couple of new tank wagons, so will get these weathered. These will be used to add a few more movements on the layout, so that I can bring in four wagons to shunt or swap 2 with 2 already on scene etc.

Thanks for all your comments from the Members day.

• Like 1