Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Layout is looking as good as ever, Hope you had good show on saturday? What are the dimensions of the layout?

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott,

The overall length is 8ft, including the fiddle yard. Depth is 14".

Saturday went very well thanks. We had a great time!

• RMweb Gold

Wow! now reached 600 posts!

Thanks for all your comments.

Following on from the Members' Day on Saturday, I thought that I could raise some comments that various people have mentioned having seen Orchard Road at recent exhibitions, starting in no particular order, with something not quite right.

1) Layout height (something I've mentioned recently). Certainly appears that the best views are better looking across the layout closer to track level. Great if I could have a row of chairs along the front of the layout (thanks for the suggestion Colin). The layout could do with being raised by 150mm or so, but limited by the fact that the legs are designed to fit inside the boards for transportation. Possibly I could make the legs longer or have removable extensions. Something to ponder.

2) Having one of the sidings on a distinct curve, the viewer is drawn into the scene and not along the straight edge of the baseboard, which can happen where the front tracks are parallel to the baseboard edge.

3) The trees at the centre middle break the scene and force views around the layout.

4) Having the end of the factory building at one end, creates a semi-industrial scene, yet the other end is more rural.

5) Is smaller than the photos depict.

6) Several people have asked whether the track is code 75, when actually is code 100.

7) I'm not entirely happy with the lighting pelmet and not sure whether it needs to be longer and / or higher. The lights themselves actually do their job quite well.

Any further comments would be welcome.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scott,

The fiddle yard is simply one length of track, about 18", which is long enough for a loco and two wagons. Nothing complicated, but can add a photo later when I get the layout up next time.

• RMweb Gold

Yea that would be great. Be good to see the fiddle yard aswell

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott,

The fiddle yard, as below. Not much to see really and very simple.

The rear of the PowerCab panel can be seen.

post-7854-0-40740600-1342198041.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Layout all packed in the car, ready for the journey down in the morning! A nice early start! Just need to go and sort out the rolling stock and controller - mustn't forget to take these!

I think that the weather will be a bit cooler (and possibly wet) over the weekend.

Thanks Andy, I'm looking forward to the weekend 'playing', sorry running trains!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mudders,

Doesn't look like I'm going to make it to Plymouth OR Bridport, spending most of the weekend ferrying the family around the South West. Have a good show.

Please can you remind me how you did the exhibition lighting for Orchard Road? Was it a standard spotlight strip from B&Q?

Many thanks,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mudders,

Doesn't look like I'm going to make it to Plymouth OR Bridport, spending most of the weekend ferrying the family around the South West. Have a good show.

Please can you remind me how you did the exhibition lighting for Orchard Road? Was it a standard spotlight strip from B&Q?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

A shame that you can't get there over the weekend!

The lighting is a three-spot fitting from B&Q - something similar to this one.

• RMweb Gold

Am also looking forward to seeing this layout at Plymouth, as I've been invited to operate it !

Only ever used a DCC system once before, so apologies now to anyone who witnesses any unusual movements on Sunday !

Am also looking forward to seeing this layout at Plymouth, as I've been invited to operate it !

Only ever used a DCC system once before, so apologies now to anyone who witnesses any unusual movements on Sunday !

I'm sure you will get on with DCC it's so easy.

RAY70B

Edited by RAY NORWOOD
  • Like 1

Don't forget your L plates!!

E

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

Thanks for your help today! See DCC isn't that difficult to operate, once you remember which points to operate and the loco numbers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hope you had a good weekend at Plymouth, as I did at Bridport yesterday. Yard Shunter ran very well with no problems. Met up with Spenc and Devonseasider and had a good chat.

RAY70B

Thanks Ray,

All went, even with 'new' operator!

Looking forward to Minehead next weekend - complete with a new addition! What you ask? Well, you will have to wait and see!

Enjoyed meeting and chatting on Saturday.

The layout looked really good and the running was exemplary. It's a pity that only those over 2m tall could actually appreciate the detail inside the running shed, maybe you could hang a mirror over that end of the layout so more people could appreciate all the work it must have taken.

Jimbo (greybear)

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed meeting and chatting on Saturday.

The layout looked really good and the running was exemplary. It's a pity that only those over 2m tall could actually appreciate the detail inside the running shed, maybe you could hang a mirror over that end of the layout so more people could appreciate all the work it must have taken.

Jimbo (greybear)

Funny you should mention the mirror...

One of the consequences of having barriers along the front of the layout, the viewers are further away from the layout and therefore more difficult to see into the shed. I was discussing this with Stubby47 on Sunday and both had the same thought. So this is something that I will need to investigate for future, don't think that I will get chance to do anything before Minehead show this coming Saturday.