Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

I will be getting one major change completed but the second looking to take longer than hoped..

Still just over a week to Taunton and looking forward to getting Orchard Road out on show again!

I'm missing the Shows already, I've sold West Shed, (in this Months RM) and Porth Merryn, (due in April RM) and Steve has Photographed Pencarne today and now that's up for sale.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what your changes are Richard.

All the best mate.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Although no destined for Orchard Road, I have been assembling and painting a 4mm pylon etch brass kit from Severn Models and will bring with me to Taunton.

Mostly soldered construction, but I have also added concrete feet (plasticard) with wires soldered to legs and through holes drilled through plastic for more secure fitting on layout. Currently on a photo base to which i will add static grass. I have also added brackets and "barbed wire" around the legs.

Incidentally, I have four more kits to build for someone else.

post-7854-0-08745700-1476557028_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-97439600-1476557020_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-24497500-1476557036_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-68309200-1476557045_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Although no destined for Orchard Road, I have been assembling and painting a 4mm pylon etch brass kit from Severn Models and will bring with me to Taunton.

Mostly soldered construction, but I have also added concrete feet (plasticard) with wires soldered to legs and through holes drilled through plastic for more secure fitting on layout. Currently on a photo base to which i will add static grass. I have also added brackets and "barbed wire" around the legs.

Incidentally, I have four more kits to build for someone else.

IMG_20161015_191447.jpg

IMG_20161015_191506.jpg

IMG_20161015_191400.jpg

IMG_20161015_191332.jpg

Very impressive!

• RMweb Gold

Just a few days to go before RailEX Taunton.

Come along and say hello. For those that have seen Orchard Road before will notice a big difference! All positive of course.

I'm hoping to get some replacement speakers fitted to a couple of locos before the weekend.

I will also be bringing along the finished pylon, burns little too large to fit on the layout.

Hi Mudmagnet

What great Pylons you are making, those take some beating, well much better than the Hornby Plastic one. I guy in the Birkenhead MRC as made some good Pylons to... may be able to see them on the 'Banks Road' thread. going the full length of the layout.

But these look much better with and 'L-Shape' angle iron on the corners makes it that bit more realistic. 

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mudmagnet

What great Pylons you are making, those take some beating, well much better than the Hornby Plastic one. I guy in the Birkenhead MRC as made some good Pylons to... may be able to see them on the 'Banks Road' thread. going the full length of the layout.

But these look much better with and 'L-Shape' angle iron on the corners makes it that bit more realistic. 

Jamie

Hi Jamie, they are nice kits, if not cheap.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Nice to see you Ray today and your layout great as ever sorry did not get back to you both in did a lot talking people i know.

Steve

Good to see you Steve.

Bust most of the day and plenty of people to chat to. Photos to follow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the comments over the weekend and to Ray for company and operating over the weekend. Also, thanks to the Somerset Modellers for the invite and great weekend.

On the whole, I'm very pleased with the new facia and LED lights, requiring only a little tidying up behind. They certainly worked well and a good spread of light.

I've also been thinking about a few small changes to the layout - a few detail changes and possible change to the roof on the main depot building. There are one or two small areas requiring some scenic attention, but on the whole no major problems.

Many thanks for the comments over the weekend and to Ray for company and operating over the weekend. Also, thanks to the Somerset Modellers for the invite and great weekend.

On the whole, I'm very pleased with the new facia and LED lights, requiring only a little tidying up behind. They certainly worked well and a good spread of light.

I've also been thinking about a few small changes to the layout - a few detail changes and possible change to the roof on the main depot building. There are one or two small areas requiring some scenic attention, but on the whole no major problems.

That's ok it was fun playing trains on Orchard Road again and I like the new facia and the new Orchard Road signs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, a major upgrade completed on Orchard Road today!

We have gone wireless!

A 'Rasberry Pi' has been fitted with a wireless router via the NCE USB interface to the PowerCab. JMRI panel pro has been loaded onto the Rasberry Pi and all locos added to the roster. Using Engine Driver APP on my tablet or phone, the layout can be operated remotely. Many thanks to Luc for setting up for me! Still need to use my laptop to start the Rasberry Pi and then everything else is loaded from there.

Looking forward to the next outing to run fully.

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've set Orchard Road up in the garage for the next few days as I want to take some more photos and also carry out a few repair / updating tasks.

I've also connected up the Raspberry Pi and wireless arrangement for a little running session with a few of my locos. I need to update some of these on the roster in JMRI decoder pro as some of the function descriptions need to be amended.

Anyway, one photo.

Happy Christmas to all !!!

post-7854-0-93284400-1482520786_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Who's been playing with his new camera then?

Terry

Oh yes!

Now taken around 140 photos in the last few days!

Need to sort through them and will post a few.

I've also started on a display board / front protection for the layout and will add a few photos and a few descriptions of various parts of the layout.

Only three shows this year and would like more!

Churston July (can't remember the date)

Bridport 29th July

Bury St Edmunds 9th September

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just fitted a sound decoder to one of my Bachmann class 08 - a Zimo 648 with Digitrains Activ-drive sound and sugar cube speaker fitted into the front. Meant removing the circuit board to create enough space. Will also fit a capacitor and resister when I get chance pick these up. Need to also tidy up the wires and fit a cab light. Would like to add running lights, but not sure the best approach at the moment.

Next outing for the layout will be in a few weeks down in Churston.

A photo as a taster.

post-7854-0-90235100-1498410657_thumb.jpg

• Like 9