Halfords Matt Lacquer

spikey

• RMweb Gold

I haven't used the product Spikey but I would be surprised if it wasn't compatible with the main range of Halfords paints and, therefore, OK over acrylics.  There are a few reviews but they're not especially informative.  The Safety Data Sheet gives details of the manufacturer so you could ask them directly once the Christmas break is over.

If in doubt I would use a scrap/spare/damaged body and try it.

Cheers

Mick

So would I, Mick, if I could afford to chance £8 on an unknown quantity ...

I'll do as teaky suggests and phone the makers next year.  There's certainly no point asking anybody anything in the local Halfords, except perhaps what time they go home.

Guest Model.Maker

Satin works fine on their spray paint. Don't use on enamel

I've found it works fine on enamel, providing the paint is fully cured (weeks!) and you warm & shake the can properly

Also works fine on top of Tamiya acrylics (pots and sprays)

I've found it works fine on enamel, providing the paint is fully cured (weeks!) and you warm & shake the can properly

Also works fine on top of Tamiya acrylics (pots and sprays)

The enamel is the Phoenix Precision version, no idea if different from the "Humbrol" type version.

Guest Model.Maker

The enamel is the Phoenix Precision version, no idea if different from the "Humbrol" type version.

Railmatch, Precision and Humbrol (old and new formulas) I've found ok to be covered by Halfords Laquer.  Also Modelmaster Paints.  All jars/tins brushed and sprayed

Just to reiterate that the enamel must be fully cured

Railmatch, Precision and Humbrol (old and new formulas) I've found ok to be covered by Halfords Laquer.  Also Modelmaster Paints.  All jars/tins brushed and sprayed

Just to reiterate that the enamel must be fully cured

Obvious question, how do you know when the paint is cured please ?

• RMweb Premium

Obvious question, how do you know when the paint is cured please ?

When it stops sneezing.....................

Hat, coat and outta here.

Having said that - if I was trying out any new make of paint/varnish/lacquer, I would still test it first on a spare body painted in the same base.

Cheers,

Mick

When it stops sneezing.....................

Mick

Yes very funny........

More helpfully.......just leave it for two weeks in a dry warm that's warm not hot place then you know it will be cured despite not knowing when it was painted so in a word ...time.

Edited by Graham456

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was interested in buying a can until I found out the local Halfords does not stock it for some reason. The photos above make it look really good. I like others, have a frustration when "matt" paints don't actually turn matt.

You can order via the Halfords site, and pick up in a store of your choice.