Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

UK most overweight country in Western Europe says OECD

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41953530

I know that this might be slightly old news but it is relevant. There is a lot of [well deserved] pointed comments against the food corporations making, advertising and selling unhealthy food (or even healthy food that isn't that healthy at all). It's well known that the food/sugar industry in the 1950s bribed scientists to write reports saying that fat was the enemy so the food companies could market 'low fat' products. The problem with 'low fat' products is that to get the same taste without the fat, they would have to add sugar. And now we are reaping what we sow with nations of people addicted to processed sugar.

That being said, it's also important to recognize that there is personal responsibility to watch what you eat. Reading through the food labels makes you realize how much sugar and salt are in processed items. As well as looking at it from the nutrition standpoint, there is also the mental standpoint. There are some people who simply cannot say no to themselves. I know one bloke who was advised by his doctor to lose 50lbs right away due to the health problems that the bloke was having (he hasn't lost it because he's not willing to change his lifestyle). There is nothing wrong with having a treat once in a while, but if the treat becomes every day then it's not a treat anymore, it's a learned behaviour. I work with people who buy their lunch every day from various food places in the area, and it can't be that healthy [or cheap] to do that.

At the start of September, I weighed 16 stone (not that overweight but not healthy either) I joined a 13 week program which combined exercise and dietary changes and I lost just over 2 stone. I am now more health conscious than I ever was before. 

• RMweb Premium

Your post epitomises the problem for me. At 6’ 16 stone is obese on a BMI chart. Even at 6’3” you’re still flirting with obese. The vast majority of the population would be extremely overweight at 16 stone, yet we are conditioned to think it’s ‘not that overweight’. If I were being cruel I would observe that with so many participants in our hobby skewing that scale somewhat it’s perhaps unsurprising, people subconsciously develop a yardstick from those around them.

There’s more than a personal responsibility to watch what you eat, that is everything. Most here are adults, yes there are lots of companies taunting you with cheap, freely available, unhealthy food, but it’s no one else’s responsibility than your own to eat healthily. It needn’t cost more.

Well done for doing something about it though, and for the weight loss, keep it up!

Edited by njee20

I have a problem with blanket stats that cover a population. Recently I found out that my daily calorific intake should be approx 1950cals and not the daily 2500 for a man meaning for rather too long I have mistakenly be thinking that I needed more to merely "survive" and don't get me started on BMI. Anyway I am on *my* way to a happier and healthier future it may just take longer than I expected!

Well done on weight loss as I know how hard it is, truly a moment on the lips......

• RMweb Gold

The surgery I use say they use the BMI as a guide and not fact, as people who play sports such as Rugby can fall into the Obese/Morbidly Obese category due to muscle size/bulk. They look at you as a whole and adjust it. IIRC my BMI weight should be 12-12.5 stone but the nurse said that for me and the job I do 13 stone is more realistic.

Mind you when she weighed me and I came out at just under 16 stone she did say 'put the pastie down fatty'

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What proportion of the general population have sufficient muscle bulk that BMI is totally meaningless? 0.001%?

The Venn diagram of people using that excuse and people for whom it’s wholly invalid is here: O

BMI is of course a guide, rather than fact, but we’re conditioned to think people who are the right weight are ‘too thin’. “Oh, you can see your ribs...” yes, that’s right, that’s how it should be.

• RMweb Gold

What proportion of the general population have sufficient muscle bulk that BMI is totally meaningless? 0.001%?

The Venn diagram of people using that excuse and people for whom it’s wholly invalid is here: O

BMI is of course a guide, rather than fact, but we’re conditioned to think people who are the right weight are ‘too thin’. “Oh, you can see your ribs...” yes, that’s right, that’s how it should be.

I asked this of the nurse but as she pointed out I work in an industry where strength/muscle is built up and there are a lot of us who are fit and well and have no issues but who weigh a lot more than someone who does a sedentary job and looks similar. 

• Like 2

The surgery I use say they use the BMI as a guide and not fact, as people who play sports such as Rugby can fall into the Obese/Morbidly Obese category due to muscle size/bulk. They look at you as a whole and adjust it. IIRC my BMI weight should be 12-12.5 stone but the nurse said that for me and the job I do 13 stone is more realistic.

Mind you when she weighed me and I came out at just under 16 stone she did say 'put the pastie down fatty'

Was it a 3 stone pastie?

I've spent far too much time with hospital and medical visits over the last eight years. My GP says at best BMI is a guide and in hospital I was told it's not really terribly helpful. For many years mine was 22/23 then due to medical conditions it went up to 27 and I got worried. I've subsequently been told a simpler ratio is actually a better guide. Your waist measurement should not be more than half your height.

I've had to have many scans of all sorts of types and have been told that internally I look half my actual age, to the point that it has been noted as being quite remarkable. However, I don't drink any alcohol which is probably why my liver looks like that of a twenty-five year old. But I now have a problem with a hip joint caused by too much walking…

So everything in moderation and don't be too bothered about the BMI. I was also told in hospital that it is less accurate a guide for men than women.

As to the UK being fat – it's sad but it is cheaper to eat badly than it is to eat well. I think I'm right in stating that life expectancy is now dropping as well.

• RMweb Premium

I am quite overweight but if I lost most fat I would still be overweight due to muscle mass.

Fat people generally have rather strong legs, mine are large but little fat on them

most fat on belly

.....If I were being cruel I would observe that with so many participants in our hobby skewing that scale somewhat...

I don't think you're being cruel, just accurate. Go to any show and look around you, and that's before you see what's on offer in the cafe.

I'm knocking on the door of 11 stone, which is about a stone too heavy for my liking. When I was put on steroids back in April, my weight plummeted, but as the dosage was progressively reduced, it went back up again.

I have a problem with blanket stats that cover a population. Recently I found out that my daily calorific intake should be approx 1950cals and not the daily 2500 for a man meaning for rather too long I have mistakenly be thinking that I needed more to merely "survive" and don't get me started on BMI. Anyway I am on *my* way to a happier and healthier future it may just take longer than I expected!

Well done on weight loss as I know how hard it is, truly a moment on the lips......

I seem to recall that when I was still at school/college (in the 1970s) I learned about the daily calorific intake figures, were they originally set during WWI?

Only in the last year or so have I heard the suggestion that the recommend intake be reduced for some people as

many of us now live and work in centrally heated buildings, and do desk work rather than heavy manual work, so need less energy.

cheers

I was lucky enough whilst working to enjoy the 'good life'. A lot of business class travel with many upgrades to first, top restaurants and hotels and consequently my weight went to up 16st 10lbs. Being 6'3" I could get away with it and never really appeared overweight. Once retired, my weight did come down, but it was a serious infection that really brought my weight down by four stone. That in itself was fine, but it wasn't until I went to buy salt for our water softener did I realise just how much 4 stone is. The bags were 25kgs each and to be honest, I found it really hard lifting them into the car. It wasn't until I got home did I realise that 25kg was 4 stone and that was just how much additional weight I was carrying around every day.

I play a lot of golf and the thought of carrying a 25kg bag of salt on my back whilst playing golf was a real wake up call. Glad to say my health is now fine and I have put on weight back up to 13st 7lbs, but it was the shock of lifting 25kgs that really brought it home to me.

All the various calculators etc are a guide, but go out there and try lifting your excess weight. That really brings it home. The damage on your joints is immense and the thought of not being able to happily walk around a golf course is enough for me to try and eat sensibly. There's no doubt portion sizes are a huge element of excess weight. Most pub meals, fast food and even cups of coffee are way too big for me and a huge waste of food. Just eating smaller portions is a massive step forward as fairly soon your stomach will seem to reduce in size and you will feel full on half the amount you ate previously.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

Interesting , pass the donuts.....

The lower echelons/ less educated of society rely on fast food and eating crap generally....we are often paying for this as taxpayers ,

I’d ensure benefits can’t be spent at Mac Donald’s as a starter. Food vouchers only redeemable for healthy stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’d ensure benefits can’t be spent at Mac Donald’s as a starter. Food vouchers only redeemable for healthy stuff.

Which will guarantee a market is created for middlemen to buy said vouchers for cash (and no doubt ripping the sellers off in the process).

I'm sure railway modellers started putting on more weight, as the  old- fashioned Hornby-Dublo engines gave way to modern plastic featherweights?

I wish we could genuinely equate weight, with quality?

When I buy carrots and cabbages, I spend ages looking for the E-numbers on the labels....I always forget my reading glasses!

The death threats from my local surgery have reduced slightly..[since I complained!]

• Like 1

I asked this of the nurse but as she pointed out I work in an industry where strength/muscle is built up and there are a lot of us who are fit and well and have no issues but who weigh a lot more than someone who does a sedentary job and looks similar. 

If you spend a lot of your time doing manual works, like construction particularly, it is the increase in bone mass as well as muscle that is responsible for the so called excess weight.

This could be one of my favourite subjects. the amount of nonsense and woo about nutrition put out by various parties is astounding' successive Governments being a major source of disinfo.

Which will guarantee a market is created for middlemen to buy said vouchers for cash (and no doubt ripping the sellers off in the process).

Exactly. Which I believe is often the case with EBT cards in the US.

There really is no such thing as unhealthy food, what there is is potentially harmful portion sizes. These myths do need putting to bed.

• RMweb Premium

I think that it is patriotic to be lazy, it is our gift to future generations. Human evolution and development is a glorious story of the human ingenuity in finding ways to avoid physical exertion and work. Those far sighted visionaries and patriotic individuals who avoid activity of any kind and live on the couch are the engines of progress and a better world for tomorrow. Where would we be if we all shunned these natural evolutionary urges and just decided to take exercise and go out and do hard physical toil? Regressing back to living in caves that's where. The big block V8 engine is testament to what can be achieved by developing alternatives to walking, a desire to avoid the effort required to visit a library gave us the internet and the social institution of marriage is underpinned by men agreeing to provide money to the household in return for doing nothing whatsoever in the home. Yes friends, never under-estimate the progressive attributes of laziness, however some exercise is necessary, which is why I make a point of walking between my front door and the car.

• Like 2

I disagree. Plenty of food with no real nutritional value, you could argue the portion is too big because it’s bigger than zero, but that’s tenuous.

All food has nutritional value, that is what makes it food. Fried and fast foods often have the highest levels - we call them "Calories".

If you eat a varied diet, mainly based on vegetables and fruits with some meat and carbohydrate sources then a Big Mac Meal every Saturday will do you no harm whatsoever.

The only option for weight loss/maintenance is to balance the number of Calories in with the number going out.

I would advocate everyone to be honest and make a note of everything (everything means everything, not leaving out the bits and pieces you would rather not think about) and the weight of each item as you eat them. Do this for a week. 

At the same time, enter the details into a calorie calculator such as MyFitnessPal (alternatives are available) 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-facts

You will be shocked (well I was anyway) at the number of calories it is possible to consume without really noticing. 

Weighing my breakfast cereal was the first nightmare experience.  My idea of a serving of Alpen turned out to be about 120 grams which is about 450 calories before I even got to the milk, which was another 120 calories - and that is semi-skimmed. 

570 calories for breakfast !!

A thin and crispy Dr Oetker pizza is between 800 and 850 calories depending on the toppings. 

A Boots cheese ploughman's sandwich pack is around 430 calories. 

I could go on....

Give it a go, but be honest and once you start to see the calories in these foods, you will not be surprised at the reasons for the UK's obesity problem.