Bachmann Royal Scot

Trev52A

I originally posted this query in the general Modelling Questions, Help & Tips section a while back but got no replies, so I'm now trying again here.

Several months ago I purchased a rather nice rebuilt Royal Scot, No 46115 Scots Guardsman ​at a swap-meet. It was in a Bachmann box with a Bachmann chassis, but according to the Ramsey guide Bachmann did not make this version. Their entry under L.45a (the ex-Mainline model) does not mention this variation and L.45b (the 2007 new-tooling model) which planned to issue No 46115 as 31-526, did not go into production. My model does not appear to be renumbered by a modeller/collector.

I appreciate that modellers have fitted original Mainline bodies (from that company's 937088) on to Bachmann chassis, but the box my loco came in seems to imply it is a genuine Bachmann item. There is no maker's stamp inside the body, which has painted internal cab detail but no glazing.  

Could it be that Bachmann simply used up finished Mainline bodies when their rebuilt Scot first came out, which got missed off all the listings?

I enclose a couple of photos, the second of which shows the end flap of the box with what appears to be a genuine Bachmann label showing the contents as 46115. If someone did do a later body swap, why would they put a fake label on the box?

I'm just curious to find out if I may have an anomaly before I start adding a yellow cabside stripe, etc. (Well, that's how I remember them!)

post-24907-0-69766700-1514371649_thumb.jpg

post-24907-0-41585500-1514371670_thumb.jpg

I am probably missing the obvious here and I hope someone may have the explanation.

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

I originally posted this query in the general Modelling Questions, Help & Tips section a while back but got no replies, so I'm now trying again here.

Several months ago I purchased a rather nice rebuilt Royal Scot, No 46115 Scots Guardsman ​at a swap-meet. It was in a Bachmann box with a Bachmann chassis, but according to the Ramsey guide Bachmann did not make this version. Their entry under L.45a (the ex-Mainline model) does not mention this variation and L.45b (the 2007 new-tooling model) which planned to issue No 46115 as 31-526, did not go into production. My model does not appear to be renumbered by a modeller/collector.

I appreciate that modellers have fitted original Mainline bodies (from that company's 937088) on to Bachmann chassis, but the box my loco came in seems to imply it is a genuine Bachmann item. There is no maker's stamp inside the body, which has painted internal cab detail but no glazing.  

Could it be that Bachmann simply used up finished Mainline bodies when their rebuilt Scot first came out, which got missed off all the listings?

I enclose a couple of photos, the second of which shows the end flap of the box with what appears to be a genuine Bachmann label showing the contents as 46115. If someone did do a later body swap, why would they put a fake label on the box?

I'm just curious to find out if I may have an anomaly before I start adding a yellow cabside stripe, etc. (Well, that's how I remember them!)

attachicon.gif(IMG_0600a).jpg

attachicon.gif(IMG_0604a).jpg

I am probably missing the obvious here and I hope someone may have the explanation.

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

Hi Trevor

The first thing in the loco cab is the reverser broken off as its not in the cab as I'm sure Bachmann did put the reverser in the second thing that I'm certain off is that Bachmann didn't do a number like that 31-2## I'd expect to be a fake product code however Bachmann maybe able to confirm this if you drop them an email

Thanks

Alan

Although I've got a small collection of Mainline and Bachmann Scots, and hybrids of the two, mine are all of a Crimson Lake (and mostly parallel-boilered) persuasion which doesn't really help us much here, but was just reading an RMWeb blog post by SilverSidelines a couple of years back comparing the Mainline and Bachmann versions of LMS 4-6-0s, and this line leapt out at me:

Appearance wise there is little to choose between the later Mainline engines and the early Bachmann products. The most noticeable difference is that the boiler bands on the Mainline models are a single colour whilst on the Bachmann bodyshells there is an additional central black line

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-15361-holiday-relief-mainline-4-6-0s/

Coach spotted the lining difference between loco and tender whilst I was reading that, and now he's mentioned it, yes, it does leap out a bit!

Edited by Invicta

Neither Bachmann nor Mainline painted the interiors of the cab in that era (80s, 90s) either. I suspect someone or shop did a body swap in order to get a new chassis under an old body. Tickets are easy enough to print off, certain swap meets sellers do/did that often.

It does occur to me that the chassis fitted to the model at the top of this thread is perhaps not even for a 'Royal Scot' as it has 'chunky' balance weights to the driving wheels as per Jubilees and Patriots rather than the crescent shape of the Scots.  That said some people think wheel sets did get exchanged.

Some older pictures of newly arrived Mainline Scots Guardsman - sadly not clear enough to see the balance weights!

3063616088_ef388e1056_o.jpg
Mainine Scots Guardsman

3062784295_8d3a3c4c4f_o.jpg
Mainine Scots Guardsman

I bought Mainline 937-088 (46115 Scots Guardsman) from Kings X Models in November 1983 for £27.64 (RRP £37.75) - well before the advent of Bachmann Branchlines. It was fitted with a new Bachmann chassis in September 2007 at a cost of £34.35. Guardsman doesn't have sprung buffers, and as mentioned above Mainline omitted the thin black line to the boiler bands. Never the less in my opinion a very nice engine. I still have two Mainline Jubilees, Mars and Amethyst which have been similarly updated.

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1

Well, what a great response - and I only started the topic this morning! Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

The general consensus is that my model uses a Mainline body, although the lack of cab glazing is a bit of a puzzle. The electrification flashes on the loco match the example shown on Silver Sidelines' pictures, as well as having the 12A shedcode plate.

@ Alan (Thebigshot)

I can't see any sign of the reversing gear having been broken off in the cab. 

Yes, the 31-2## ref number is a bit of a puzzle. I might contact Bachmann and see if they can shed any light on it.

@ Woodenhead

The label is stuck on the end flap of the box, similar to other (genuine) Bachmann models I have, although in this case there are no bar-code stripes (although bar-codes may not have been in general use back when this model was made?)

@ coachmann

Yes, now you point it out, the lining doesn't (quite) match on loco and tender. I don't think this will be a major concern for me, bearing in mind I remember (for example) long-lamented 'Jubilee' No 45562 Alberta running during its final year(s) with a lined-out loco and plain green (unlined) tender(!)

@ robmcg

The painted detail on the boiler back looks like it has been added as part of a separate item (not part of the original moulding). 

@ Silver Sidelines

I think you have spotted something no-one else has mentioned - the chassis is probably for a 'Jubilee', as indicated by the shape of the driving wheel balance weights. (I had to check photographs to compare!)

Anyway, it looks enough like a 'Royal Scot' to me so I'll get on with adding the cabside stripe, cab doors, fallplate, real coal, crew etc. in the knowledge that I'm (probably) not destroying a rare example of an early Bachmann model. I don't think I've mentioned so far the important thing that it's a nice runner as well and looks the part with a rake of maroon Mk1 coaches.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions. What a great website!

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The tender is from 45691 Orion or 45532 Illustrious.

These two had a different shade (very slightly duller but still gloss ) green to 46115/46137 which were produced later, and also have slightly sharper printing.

(There was also a very pale/Matt green used on 46100 which is similar but not the same as the initial Bachmann releases, with early crest that just doesn't look well, not be confused with the Airfix one which is a different tooling altogether, but much the same).

They key is the yellowing of the BR logo, it was much earlier and you can scratch it off with your finger nail it's so delicate on the early 45691/45532 releases, though 46115's isn't much better but it's more gloss.

46115 was also released with the less chunky wheel rims (also used on 45700 and 45698) towards the end of life of Mainline.

Upon Mainline's demise the stocks of 46115 were sold by Dapol in a Dapol box, along with 5719, 6127, 46137 and 45700.

The chassis is the late 90's Bachmann chassis, there's been 3 iterations of the Bachmann split chassis.., yours is the 3rd.

1st was the initial Bachmann release where the wheels/rods were silver and had plastic cylinder slide bars... used on models like 45552/45596/45736/45568/5699/45735 etc

2nd was an improved version of cylinder slide bars , which were now metal, held on by screws inside the cylinder used on models like 46148, 45715, 46102, 46141 but still shiny silver.

3rd was darkening the wheels and rods, seem on models like 46165, 5711, 6112,6133, 6134,45528

These 2nd/3rd generation Bachmann chassis saw a factory saving modification in that the inside wheel mounts for the axles are square, making quartering much easier when assembling the wheels to the axle, the axle is also thicker. Unfortunately they are prone to cracking and Bachmann won't supply spares, presumably this is a protected patent as Peters spares were refused permission to make them also, but the earlier 1st gen and Mainline ones are made.

These have been superseded twice by the new chassis used to date under the new jubilee / patriot the 1st version has the chip on the chassis, the latest has moved the chip to the tender with a plug, but neither of these fit the earlier Mainline era tooling s without modifications.

So you have:

A Mainline 46115 body

On a late 90's Chassis, 3rd gen Bachmann.

With a very early Mainline tender.

After 40 years of production, sharing a common dimensional fitting, most of these mainline/early Bachmann ones have been subjected to random tender/chassis swaps on the second hand market, Bachmann sold chassis as upgrades at one point, and many modellers have kept better parts and bundled together items to dispose. Common faults are the plastic slide bars breaking, axles splitting, or the plastic retainer of valve gear coming off the chassis where the reverser is.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not sure you are correct here or perhaps I am not understanding you correctly.

..These 2nd/3rd generation Bachmann chassis saw a factory saving modification in that the inside wheel mounts for the axles are square, making quartering much easier when assembling the wheels to the axle, the axle is also thicker. Unfortunately they are prone to cracking and Bachmann won't supply spares, presumably this is a protected patent as Peters spares were refused permission to make them also, but the earlier 1st gen and Mainline ones are made.
.s.

Bachmann sell the square nylon axles, or 'insulators' as they call them,  for the  'Bachmann' split chassis - common across their entire range.  I haven't checked recently but Peters Spares also had them in stock recently at twice the price direct from Bachmann.

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Not sure you are correct here or perhaps I am not understanding you correctly.

Bachmann sell the square nylon axles, or 'insulators' as they call them, for the 'Bachmann' split chassis - common across their entire range. I haven't checked recently but Peters Spares also had them in stock recently at twice the price direct from Bachmann.

Ray

This is a new one, can you point out which one it is in their website...

I’ve asked at Bachmann and Peters Spares several times, and the response has always been negative.

Peters spares have made the round ones, but have told me by mail recently that Bachmann forbade them making the square ones.

Here’s the round ones.., Mainline early, and the later version used by Bachmann.

http://www.petersspares.com/peters-spares-ps30-Bachmann-replacement-axle-set-jubilee-scot-4mt-manor.ir

http://www.petersspares.com/peters-spares-ps39-mainline-axle-set-patriot-jubilee-scot-4mt.ir

I know someone recently made a 3D printed version on shapeways, when I contacted him to ask, he withdrew them saying Bachmann told him he wasn’t allowed to sell them.

Edited by adb968008

Hello adb...

This is a new one, can you point out which one it is in their website...

I’ve asked at Bachmann and Peters Spares several times, and the response has always been negative.
Peters spares have made the round ones, but have told me by mail recently that Bachmann forbade them making the square ones.

A telephone call or email to Bachmann Branchline technical / spares department (Jenni)

Ray

Thank you for your recent e-mail, we can supply a set of axle isolators (2 plain & 1 geared) for £3.00 and 4 circlips for £1.00 plus £2.00 p&p.  The isolators may have different tolerances due to the wear on the tooling. If they are a little slack our technicians use a small amount of glue to keep them in place.  If you wish to order please contact us on 01455 245 575 to pay via card, alternatively please send a cheque/postal made payable to Bachmann Europe with your order details, name and address,  offices are open 8.30am until 5pm.

Regards

Jenni

Jennifer Ayres
Service Manager

• RMweb Gold

Hello adb...

A telephone call or email to their technical / spares department (Jenni)

Ray

Sorry to cast further doubt, but email received from Bachmann: 12th September 2017 13:18 (SD11576 Service Request)

“Sorry but the Manor 31-302 and Scot 31-277 we believe were made in Hong Kong and the axle isolators we have do not fit the Hong Kong made models”

And Peters Spres (December 23rd 2017.. yes last week)

“Hi there, no Bachmann have told us we can't. Thanks Peter”

It isn’t the first time of requesting, I have several such trails going back 2-3 years at different points. So far Each time I just go to ebay and buy up a knacker for spares, but split axles are common on ebay including also for the V1 tank. I’d say I’ve handled at least 10.

Same person at Bachmann Spares was my contact.

If you don’t mind me asking what was the circlips for ? I’ve only seen them used on very early models to hold the rods in place on the centre wheel before they used the bolt, if it’s the same ones i’m thinking of ? I haven’t seen circlips sent with any of the older round release axles ?

I’ll email Bachmann back next week and quote your post if that’s ok, as it sounds like I’ve been given the runaround on a few occasions if that’s correct.

Edited by adb968008

Hello adb... again

....Sorry to cast further doubt.

If it helps here is a picture of what I have just bought direct from Bachmann Technical Service - in this case I was quoting 31-710 (B1).  The circlips are used to fit the valve gear to the centre axle of both Mainline and Bachmann locomotives.

I have been buying the nylon insulators now for many years.  The old ones were a tight fit, the newer seem to be a bit variable - hence the comment above about needing to add a drop of glue.

39348112671_54a43001e1_b.jpg
Bachmann Insulators and Circlips

Regards 

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Hello adb... again

If it helps here is a picture of what I have just bought direct from Bachmann Technical Service - in this case I was quoting 31-710 (B1). The circlips are used to fit the valve gear to the centre axle of both Mainline and Bachmann locomotives.

I have been buying the nylon insulators now for many years. The old ones were a tight fit, the newer seem to be a bit variable - hence the comment above about needing to add a drop of glue.

39348112671_54a43001e1_b.jpgBachmann Insulators and Circlips

Regards

Ray

Gotcha, the B1 is different sized to the Jubilee axles. The B1 also had an issue with exploding wheel rims (like the 4mt), but I think I tried these a few years back, and like you found B1 Spares easy to obtain but I recall they didn’t fit the Scot/Jubilee/Patriot, (3mm size difference I was thinking) but indeed they will sell you full replacement wheel sets too for the B1. Because of the square axles, I was easily able to pop out and repair 4 B1s from the set, each had a single exploding rear wheel on the drivers side.

I’m not 100% there, but if they fit a Jubilee let us know..

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adb

I thought these 'insulators' were common across the entire range - certainly my latest order fits B1, V2 and A4.

Ray

I’m back home on Saturday and have a b1 set of axles spare, I will certainly recheck and let you know, if it fits the V2 then it should fit the V1 too and I’ve 3 of them in the box waiting for the day when I do something about their axles. Jub i’m Really not sure, I thought I did try it once and failed... the B1,V2 and A4 were all later products, the Jub has its history back in the 70’s, it’s 1st gen gear design fits the Manor amongst others too.

If it turns out B1 axles do fit the later design Jubilees, then it’s something to definitely share !

Edited by adb968008

Hello Trevor

Some pictures of my old stock long sold!

I suspect that I would have painted the wheel rims black.

Illustrious had overhead warning flashes on the tender. All three models, Illustrious, Orion and Leander had unsprung underscale small diameter buffers. These were only increased in diameter with the arrival of Mars and Amethyst.

27573257699_7e2bf1a040_c.jpg
Mainline Patriot - Illustrious

39320608842_ea4b404274_c.jpg
Mainline Jubilee - Orion

27573293179_819e047f81_c.jpg
Mainline Jubilee - Leander

• Like 2

Quite a lot of new posts since I last checked - thank you to everyone who has chipped in. 

I have the very early Mainline LMS black Scots Guardsman and it certainly has no reverser in the cab (neither did the Jubilee), nor was it glazed as bought.

That's interesting - might explain why my 46115 has no glazing either. It looks like an early one (with undersize front buffers as well, as far as I can tell.)

The tender is from 45691 Orion or 45532 Illustrious.
These two had a different shade (very slightly duller but still gloss ) green to 46115/46137 which were produced later, and also have slightly sharper printing.
(There was also a very pale/Matt green used on 46100 which is similar but not the same as the initial Bachmann releases, with early crest that just doesn't look well, not be confused with the Airfix one which is a different tooling altogether, but much the same).

They key is the yellowing of the BR logo, it was much earlier and you can scratch it off with your finger nail it's so delicate on the early 45691/45532 releases, though 46115's isn't much better but it's more gloss.

46115 was also released with the less chunky wheel rims (also used on 45700 and 45698) towards the end of life of Mainline.
Upon Mainline's demise the stocks of 46115 were sold by Dapol in a Dapol box, along with 5719, 6127, 46137 and 45700.

The chassis is the late 90's Bachmann chassis, there's been 3 iterations of the Bachmann split chassis.., yours is the 3rd.

1st was the initial Bachmann release where the wheels/rods were silver and had plastic cylinder slide bars... used on models like 45552/45596/45736/45568/5699/45735 etc
2nd was an improved version of cylinder slide bars , which were now metal, held on by screws inside the cylinder used on models like 46148, 45715, 46102, 46141 but still shiny silver.
3rd was darkening the wheels and rods, seem on models like 46165, 5711, 6112,6133, 6134,45528

These 2nd/3rd generation Bachmann chassis saw a factory saving modification in that the inside wheel mounts for the axles are square, making quartering much easier when assembling the wheels to the axle, the axle is also thicker. Unfortunately they are prone to cracking and Bachmann won't supply spares, presumably this is a protected patent as Peters spares were refused permission to make them also, but the earlier 1st gen and Mainline ones are made.

These have been superseded twice by the new chassis used to date under the new jubilee / patriot the 1st version has the chip on the chassis, the latest has moved the chip to the tender with a plug, but neither of these fit the earlier Mainline era tooling s without modifications.

So you have:

A Mainline 46115 body
On a late 90's Chassis, 3rd gen Bachmann.
With a very early Mainline tender.

After 40 years of production, sharing a common dimensional fitting, most of these mainline/early Bachmann ones have been subjected to random tender/chassis swaps on the second hand market, Bachmann sold chassis as upgrades at one point, and many modellers have kept better parts and bundled together items to dispose. Common faults are the plastic slide bars breaking, axles splitting, or the plastic retainer of valve gear coming off the chassis where the reverser is.

All good information which explains a lot. As robmcg suggested earlier, I have a bit of a 'hybrid'! (Actually the tender which came with the model has 'Bachmann' stamped on the bottom of the chassis, but apart from the wheels (well, the axles, at least) and the narrower tension lock coupling, it looks identical to the Mainline tender which came with the second-hand Mainline 'Jubilee' 45691 Orion which I bought several years ago, as seen in the picture below.)​

​@ ​Silver Sidelines

Thanks for the pictures of Mainline locos - great as references.

Incidentally, when digging out my second-hand Mainline 'Jubilee' to compare tenders (in response to adb's input) I noticed it was sitting on a 'Royal Scot' chassis! (The smaller crescent-shaped coupled wheel balance weights give it away.)

As per this photo:

post-24907-0-28441700-1514550825_thumb.jpg

I have renumbered/renamed it from 45691 Orion to 45703 Thunderer, ​in memory of the first 'Jube' I ever saw back in 1964. What a great name for a steam loco! (although itself named after a warship, I believe?) I also added the cabside stripe, AWS bashplate and replaced the front tension lock coupling with a screw coupling and tried my hand at weathering for the first time. Oh, and I also removed the front steps (!) as they look awful when overhanging on curves.

So, I have a Mainline 'Scot' body sitting on a Bachmann chassis meant for a 'Jubilee', and a Mainline 'Jubilee' body sitting on a Mainline chassis meant for a 'Scot'.  What's the chances of that happening? So the obvious thing is to swap them round and everybody is happy - which I did, but the flanges on the Bachmann rear coupled wheels catch slightly on the bodywork of 45703 under the front of the cab. Shouldn't be too difficult to put right with a file, I expect.

While I am in 'modelling' mode, could anyone please tell me if it is possible to add a drop of oil to the Mainline motor without having to take it apart too much? This has always made the occasional noises of protest as it moves, but I can't see how to get in to it.

To sum up - the only unexplained part of the whole story now seems to be the misleading label on the Bachmann box my second-hand 46115 came in. I might try contacting Bachmann after New Year to see if it makes sense to them.

Regards

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A

• RMweb Gold

The box could be from the donor chassis, or whoever had a spare box, in which case it literally could be anything in the late 90’s period.

In the same way you can swap loco bodies, you can swap tender chassis too. Looking at the tender wheel rims, they are silver, not dark, which puts them as Mainline, or Bachmann Upto the 3rd gen chassis when wheels went dark. Some not all had metal points on the wheel axles, but most are plastic and prone to snap when removing (its not worth looking). But your tender wheels at least, if not the frame aren’t from the same loco as the donor loco chassis, and by the sounds of it possibly the tender body either.

I have to hold my hand up to being guilty as charged for making hybrid Mainline/Bachmann models too. I’ve done this several times as I’ve upgraded my 45691 recently, and more recently acquired a 45700 body (Mainline), Bachmann chassis from 45742 Connaught, and put it with a tender ex Jubilee 45735, then renumbered it as 45690 Leander, and changed the “British Railways” letters to a Lion on wheel (to make an approximation if how it is today).

Additionally I took a 45540 Robert Turnbull in that fantastic experimental green and put a recent (I forget which) Patriot chassis on it, only to find the hole for mounting the cylinders changed between Mainline and Bachmann, and so had to do some additional work to fix the cylinders from the Mainline one. Another example is taking a 6134 Cheshire Regiment Black (darekened chassis) and swapping it under my Mainline Black 6115 Scotsguardsman in LMS lined black.

I have a 6112 Sherwood Forester awaiting new axles, and a few spare donor chassis on my bench (another 45700, another 45691, spare Patriot Bachmann 3rd gen chassis etc..), i’m Going to pull apart a B1 wheelset too, based on the above. I have many other useful bits, v1, manor, 43xx,j72 etc in my spares bin which share a lot of common parts, e.g. pony’s on a Jubilee are common also to the Patriot/Scot but also the Manor and 43xx. I have around 25 spare tenders, you can never have enough spare tenders..

The early Bachmann/Mainline stuff are really useful as they lend themselves to all kinds of combinations, and above all.. cheap.

Back in the 90’s I used to regularly break up Bachmann models (probably more than 100) and sell the bits separately when I did some model shop work. Even today that pre-DCC stuff is worth more in parts than as a whole, so disposing of the Mainline chassis, unwanted body and tender often returned more than I paid for my donor Bachmann loco. I’m back home later tonight so i’ll put up some pictures on Sunday.

For oiling these, you do really need to remove the body (its easier than removing the keeper plate if your not practised in it), there are two screws, one under the front pony’s, one under the rear footplate), the front one is usually fatter and flatter, but the difference is negligible as long as you don’t over screw it. Remove both, the chassis drops out, watch for the sanding pipes either side catching the frame.

There’s a pin point metal axle across the centre of the armature, which on a Mainline one goes through both plates of the chassis block in a white plastic housing. A drop of oil here (literally a drop), is usually more than enough, making sure it only touches the axle stub of the armature, not the armature itself.

One last beware, when removing the body, the valve gear has a weak spot in a lug that connects the reverser

* part to the frame, often a quick fix remedy was to glue it to the loco body...with all the risk that carries, rather than drilling it out and gluing in the ends of a small ba bolt into the reverser* and gluing it into the chassis lug hole.

*sorry don’t know the proper name for that casting lump holding part of the valve gear above the centre driver and under the running plate on Stanier 4-6-0’s, but the same piece is a weak point on the v1/3 also.

Edited by adb968008