Bachmann Royal Scot

Trev52A

@adb

Thanks for your continued interest in my query. I look forward to seeing your pics in due course.

I have now filed away the offending plastic on the underside of 45703 (as it now is) and it runs very well on the Bachmann 'Jubilee' chassis which came with my 'Royal Scot' 46115.

As regards the Mainline chassis from 45703 which I want to use correctly on 46115, here are some pics to show my problem - I can't see any moving parts to oil and I don't feel confident of unloosening any screws without some advice, which I hope you might be able to offer. You mentioned the armature and white plastic housing - how do uncover those, for example? I have described the fireman's side as the RHS - is there a convention? (Hm, that wouldn't make sense if it was a GWR 'Castle', would it?!)

post-24907-0-35159400-1514630720_thumb.jpg

Mainline motor for 'Royal Scot', RHS

post-24907-0-81382700-1514630774_thumb.jpg

Mainline motor for 'Royal Scot', LHS

post-24907-0-88243400-1514630802_thumb.jpg

Mainline motor for 'Royal Scot', bottom

Hopefully your assistance will also be of help to others who may not be familiar with the internal workings of these mechanisms.

Kind regards

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A

• RMweb Gold

@adb

Thanks for your continued interest in my query. I look forward to seeing your pics in due course.

I have now filed away the offending plastic on the underside of 45703 (as it now is) and it runs very well on the Bachmann 'Jubilee' chassis which came with my 'Royal Scot' 46115.

As regards the Mainline chassis from 45703 which I want to use correctly on 46115, here are some pics to show my problem - I can't see any moving parts to oil and I don't feel confident of unloosening any screws without some advice, which I hope you might be able to offer. You mentioned the armature and white plastic housing - how do uncover those, for example? I have described the fireman's side as the RHS - is there a convention? (Hm, that wouldn't make sense if it was a GWR 'Castle', would it?!)

attachicon.gif(IMG_1433aS) Mainline RHS.jpg

Mainline motor for 'Royal Scot', RHS

attachicon.gif(IMG_1431aS) Mainline LHS.jpg

Mainline motor for 'Royal Scot', LHS

attachicon.gif(IMG_1434aS) Mainline bottom.jpg

Mainline motor for 'Royal Scot', bottom

Hopefully your assistance will also be of help to others who may not be familiar with the internal workings of these mechanisms.

Kind regards

Trevor

Sorry brain pop moment, perils of working from memory when drinking wine overseas.

The set up is vaguely the same.. the axle to oil the metal axle in what is a faded grey (what used to be white) plastic housing, on both sides, I’ve copied your picture and highlighted it here, you could also put a drop, (literally a pin prick) on the gears too.post-20773-0-58613700-1514633005.jpeg

post-20773-0-65886200-1514633272.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

@ adb

Grateful thanks for the advice - that's exactly what I needed, and why I showed the pictures. So I didn't need to take the motor apart at all!

So I've oiled as you suggested and, while it still doesn't run like the proverbial 'sewing machine', (obviously with a mechanism of that age), there is a big improvement.and I'm very happy with the outcome.

I also have an old Airfix tender drive rebuilt 'Scot' with a screeching motor .. but that's another story.

Kind regards

Trevor

@ adb

Grateful thanks for the advice - that's exactly what I needed, and why I showed the pictures. So I didn't need to take the motor apart at all!

So I've oiled as you suggested and, while it still doesn't run like the proverbial 'sewing machine', (obviously with a mechanism of that age), there is a big improvement.and I'm very happy with the outcome.

I also have an old Airfix tender drive rebuilt 'Scot' with a screeching motor .. but that's another story.

Kind regards

Trevor

Those Airfix motors sounded as if they were about to tear themselves to pieces. They were so noisy that I (for one) tended not to notice that they ran quite smoothly.

Edit: I dug out an ancient 66XX to compare it to Bachmann’s new version. I don’t know when I bought it but I think it was before the mid-1980s. It screamed and juddered a bit but gentle lubrication worked wonders. It still didn’t match the new version for quietness or smoothness but it wasn’t all that far off. A credit to the much maligned mechanism used all those years ago.

Edited by No Decorum

• RMweb Gold

Further to my post earlier today, I have downloaded some diagrams and service sheets for my Airfix tender-drive 'Scot' from the Airfix and Lendons of Cardiff websites and will have a go at sorting it.

Cheers

Trevor

If you figure out getting reconnecting the main gear, under the motor pod that connects to the armature, share it.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve ventured back out of the attic and dismantled my demics for closer inspection.

The current three candidates I have are:

1. V1 tank, split gears, broken fitting to hold valve gear to chassis (both usual common issues)

2. 31-701, B1 61243, bowed out wheel (again common problem)

3. 31-277, Scot, 6112 Sherwood forrester (split gears).

In the past contacting Bachmann I’ve been advised spares aren’t available for the V1 or Scot, v2, amongst others.

Listening to the above post regarding the B1, i today took apart all 3, removed the axles and gear from each.

And hey presto they are all the same.post-20773-0-47903000-1514736277_thumb.jpeg

So many thanks to the Ray (Silver sidelines) above, and i’ll be ordering quite a few of these in the next few days to bring several locos back to life, and suggest making it clear when ordering the spares that it’s a generic set you want that fits the B1.

The 4MT, Manor, J72 I have in my parts box are not the same gears.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Here’s a little poser of different versions of Bachmann chassis over the years.

I’ve identified seven versions, from top to bottom order:

45691 Orion, with chunky wheels, on a Mainline motor.

45690 Leander, this has refined wheels. (This model is actually a hybrid from different locos)

45596 Bahamas, uses the same later style Mainline wheels, but the gear moved from the rearmost wheel to the centre wheel, and uses the can motor.

46148 The Manchester Regiment, same motor/chassis as 45596, but uses metal slide bars on the cylinders. (The metal slide bars where actually available back in 1991 when 45596,45568,5699,5721, 45552 etc were released as they were used on limited edition 5552 in Black in the wooden box, but then didn’t show again for several years).

6115 Scots Guardsman, again this is a Hybrid, it’s actually Mainline, but the chassis was exchanged for a 6134 Cheshire Regiment (and is about to be swapped cylinders for some unvarnished ones I picked up on another mongrel). In this case the valve gear, wheels and cylinders are now darkened metal, rather than shiny.

45637 Windward islands, c2008 era, this features an all new tooling, smaller firebox, but under the hood it’s a new DCC ready chassis, new tender and tender chassis. Still separately coupled the DCC plug is on the loco chassis. This chassis won’t automatically fit under the older chassis’s produced. These are easily identified as there is no Tender connector lug under the footplate (an idea for coupling loco to tender back in 1977 that wasn’t implemented but left a stub in the chassis tooling for the next 30 years).

45575 Madras, represents the latest chassis, using the circa 2008 Jubilee, but features a plug connector for the tender, which is used to house the DCC pin and sound speakers as a permanent connection.

post-20773-0-39818300-1514737678_thumb.jpeg

In this next picture is Giggleswick, a lastest tooled Stanier 4-6-0 chassis, and The Manchester Regiment, with the older chassis, the difference here to be drawn to, is the wheels... Scot wheels are differently counterbalanced on weights on the wheels, than the thicker shape on the Patriot. One assumes the retooled unrebuilt Scot will feature the Patriot chassis but the different wheels.

post-20773-0-48614500-1514737925_thumb.jpeg

Finally an example of what a swapmeet or ebay bargains bin can produce, these three came in at under £50..and once stripped, will be sold on again at probably the same price...

What have we got here..

45700 Ameythst (originally Mainline), what it’s given me is a 3rd Gen Bachmann Scot Chassis, darkened wheels.

46100 has given me a 2nd Gen Bachmann Jubilee chassis, but the tender wheels look like Gibson wheels.

45691 hasn’t given me much in this bag, but given the other two that’s ok, but not it’s with the wrong tender.

What will it leave me as..

6115 will get the Scot Chassis it deserves, from 45700, with unvarnished cylinders, 45690 will get the 6115 “Jubilee” chassis, but a cylinder swap. My 45691 (not this one in the auction) will get the chassis from 45690, so it doesn’t have chunky wheels.

One of them, probably 45690 will get the a new nicely to be painted set of Gibson wheels, I have another Mainline Scot, which could use the 46100 Bachmann chassis.

And what will leave me..

45691 largely asis, 46100 now with chunky wheels, and 45700 body... and imagine it’ll fetch not far short of the £50 I paid.

post-20773-0-82027100-1514738649_thumb.jpeg

As no doubt there’s hundreds more doing the same as me, would go to explain why Mainline/Bachmann models made upto c2003 are subject to as much variation and “VW Beetle” style no two the same..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I have a similar summary here on RMweb on my Blog -  which coincidentally was also posted on 31 December - but 2014.

2017 and I have treated myself to an 'unused' model of 'Invincible' which I 'train spotted' (in short trousers) at Carlisle around 1961.

Ray

39383889632_d2d5e8bd82_c.jpg

Bachmann ex LMS Jubilee 'Invincible'-a very early Bachmann model with single orange boiler bands

5099979513_7056e93095_o.jpg

45715 Invincible

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I do hope Bachmann will re tool the rebuilt Scot/Patriot bodies now they have the chassis for these as originally intended in the near future.

I’d prefer the unrebuilt Scot first. The original Patriot to me is one of Bachmanns best models.

If you figure out getting reconnecting the main gear, under the motor pod that connects to the armature, share it.

Fortunately I didn't need to dismantle the motor - a few drops of oil in the likely places (having successfully treated the Bachmann chassis as per your earlier instructions I was feeling more confident at this stage!) and it runs great- not bad for a 40-year old mechanism. Now it goes without screeching it will be worthwhile me doing some basic weathering/detailing to the model.

What a fabulous collection you have of Bachmann/Mainline examples! Thanks for sharing. If I need any more advice on their variations I know who to ask.

I have a similar summary here on RMweb on my Blog -  which coincidentally was also posted on 31 December - but 2014.

2017 and I have treated myself to an 'unused' model of 'Invincible' which I 'train spotted' (in short trousers) at Carlisle around 1961.

Ray

39383889632_d2d5e8bd82_c.jpg

Bachmann ex LMS Jubilee 'Invincible'-a very early Bachmann model with single orange boiler bands

5099979513_7056e93095_o.jpg

45715 Invincible

Nice to see the model has the correct Fowler tender, as per your photo of the prototype. I saw about 30 Jubilees but don't recall any like that, but as a teenage spotter I wouldn't have noticed such niceties as tender types at the time! 

Kind regards to all

Trevor