RMweb

World Trivia Day

wollastonblue

Apparently, flies buzz in the key of F.

I constantly amaze myself with the sheer amount of knowledge I possess. Just a shame none of it's remotely useful! Ask me anything important and you'll usually be met with a blank stare...

Edited for typo.

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

The bit of trivia I know that I'm always surprised others don't, is that Apples logo is a Homage to Alan Turin as they regard him as the founder of modern computing (He committed suicide by biting into a cyanide laced apple).

Next.

• Like 2

The sun is so far away that, if you set off in a heatproof car and kept up a steady 100mph every day and night; it would take you around 80000 years to get there. 

Trivia is great, isn't it? With nothing better to do, I worked out that if you began the journey in an electric car with a range of 300 miles, you'd get 0.0003% of the way there before needing to find a charging point...

• Like 1

Trivia is great, isn't it? With nothing better to do, I worked out that if you began the journey in an electric car with a range of 300 miles, you'd get 0.0003% of the way there before needing to find a charging point...

But if you fitted solar panels you would not need to recharge surely?

Sun trivia: if you could throw an object from the earth's surface directly at the sun at sufficient speed that it had escape velocity, it would not actually reach the sun at all.

The sun is so far away that, if you set off in a heatproof car and kept up a steady 100mph every day and night; it would take you around 80000 years to get there. 

I am such a pedant, that I had to check that out, and my heatproof car at a constant 100mph on the direct route to the sun, gets there in just over 100 years.

But if you fitted solar panels you would not need to recharge surely?

Ah, but in space no-one can hear you compliment yourself on how clever you've been...

:jester:

And when you did there would be a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV parked in it not even plugged in.

I am such a pedant, that I had to check that out, and my heatproof car at a constant 100mph on the direct route to the sun, gets there in just over 100 years.

106.1643835616438 years to be precise. I can only assume that Jonny took the scenic route, and there were a few diversions...

Yes, I need to get out more.

Sun trivia: if you could throw an object from the earth's surface directly at the sun at sufficient speed that it had escape velocity, it would not actually reach the sun at all.

Oh dear, I seem to have my decimal points in the wrong place. 

Serves me right for trying to work that out late on New Years Eve.... 

Edited to add, maybe that was my figure for the trip to Saturn, or even Proxima Centauri? Things began to get a bit hazy during Jools Hollands Hootenanny. 

Edited by jonny777

One for accountants;

debits by the window, credits by the door dates from Victorian times where buildings had windows along one side to maximize natural lighting. As everyone had to be right handed, people sat so that the windows were on their left.

Rock God Jimmy Page cut his teeth and made a few extra bob as a session man for Petula Clark and Engleburt Humperdink amongst many others,  he also worked on various soundtracks and comedy records.

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Premium

The bit of trivia I know that I'm always surprised others don't, is that Apples logo is a Homage to Alan Turin as they regard him as the founder of modern computing (He committed suicide by biting into a cyanide laced apple).

A great fact, but completely untrue apparently.

Sharks don't get cancer.

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Gold

When Rolls Royce were planning a new model mid-60's they were planning to call it the Silver Mist, until someone pointed out RR's sell well in Geermany and it wouldn't translate too well.  Hence it became the Silver Shadow.