RMweb

50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

This is slightly OT but since we have mentioned Flying Scotsman this is he/she coming through Bury St Edmunds on 17th May 1969.  As has been mentioned this was the only steam locomotive allowed to run on BR tracks after the end of steam on 11th August 1968.

post-13986-0-71976200-1517737196.gif

The digital wizardry is not mine but was done for me by "Shadow" from my colour slides.

Chris Turnbull

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

So how many shades of grey are we going to end up with, we are talking about the 5oth anniversary..........

Jamie

How about last movement of a <main line> steam locomotive in BR ownership? This would discount moves to new owners.

The main line caveat is necessary to discount later continuous operation of the Vale of Rheidol,  otherwise the last would be in April(?) 1989 in Aberystwyth.  I should know the date, I was there and have the photographs; still remember "Sold down the Rheidol" chalked on the smokebox door of no.7!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

To throw another in the mix...

I understand industrial steam would often trip from works overhaul to industrial site occasionally, and often industrials would move between industrial sites. Not to mention handover in daily use at reception sidings which would include running over BR metals.

Do we know when the last time this occured ?

I can offer my own memory possibly, as I’ve grainy pictures of Robert, still an NCB owned industrial, running on BR metals at Rainhill, and recall seeing on of the CEGB locos from Agecroft power station at a signal on the The Mainline during a shunt of wagons circa 1980 from a passing DMU... i’m Vivid on the memory as it was surprising to see.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

I believe that there were some movement from Hunslet Engine co to nearby pits for trials but have no firm evidence.   There are also tales of the occasional foray from the Middleton Railway into Hunslet Sidings when they still had traffic to the scrapyard but again no dates.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I remember it:

Saturday 3 August 1868 - end of normal disgrammed steam working plus several specials

Sunday 4 August 1968 - several steam hauled specials

Sunday 11 August 1968 - Fifteen Guinea Special and end of BR steam haulage.

For several weeks thereafter, steam locos which had since been purchased for preservation were allowed to run light engine to their new homes.

4472, privately owned, was allowed to run specials as and when these were arranged.

Steam locos were allowed on the main line to move from one preservation site to another, or from a preservation site to an open day and return, but in light steam and drawn by a diesel, i.e. not under their own power.

We used to see locos from Ashchurch heading for Tyesley open days as mentioned here

However with a 25 on the front and 2 Hymeks to push I'll leave the reader to decide the definition of "light steam" in this photo from the collection of my good friend Brian Thomas

http://www.shelbrooke.co.uk/Hymek/74.jpg

Phil

• Like 3

We used to see locos from Ashchurch heading for Tyesley open days as mentioned here

However with a 25 on the front and 2 Hymeks to push I'll leave the reader to decide the definition of "light steam" in this photo from the collection of my good friend Brian Thomas

http://www.shelbrooke.co.uk/Hymek/74.jpg

Phil

Yep. In 1970 I was heavily involved with the 8F Society at Bridgnorth, and we rushed to get her ready for a Tyseley Open Weekend, May 1970. She went along with 0-6-0 3205 and Pannier 5786, diesel hauled at 25mph.

The driver on the 8F, who was a BR driver at Saltley and knew the road, got bored with this and opened the 8F up. When speed reached 60mph, the diesel driver decided to call a halt by making a brake application, but with an 8F with its large ejector open and two GWR engines with their pumps working, he didn't have much of a chance. It was a very fast journey!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Back on topic again, here's the next selection.

attachicon.gif680708 Carnforth 75009, 42073 5.17.jpg

75009 and 42073 at Carnforth on 8th July.

attachicon.gif680711 Carnforth 45268 8.34.jpg

45268 at Carnforth on 11th July.

attachicon.gif671228 Preston 48730 1.5 (2).jpg

48730 at Preston on 28th December 1967

attachicon.gif680710 Rose Grove 48448 8.13.jpg

48448 (again) at Rose Grove on 10th July.

Chris Turnbull

Interesting that 75009 was in amongst the preserved locos with her chimney sheeted up rather than on the dump - makes you wonder how close she was to being rescued?

Phil

Reverting to the question of “how many locos left at the end”, Lostock Hall Magazine http://www.madeinpreston.co.uk/LostockHallMag/LH%20Mag%20-%20Issue%208.pdf lists 13 working locomotives in the last week, including an 8F which is quoted as the last freight working by a steam locomotive

3 locos identified at Rose Grove during the last week

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Prototype/Rose_Grove.html NOT including 45110.

Daily Telegraph here seems to imply 18 locomotives at Carnforth http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/3637823/A-steam-free-world-forty-years-since-the-end-of-the-steam-engine.html

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

Reverting to the question of “how many locos left at the end”, Lostock Hall Magazine http://www.madeinpreston.co.uk/LostockHallMag/LH%20Mag%20-%20Issue%208.pdf lists 13 working locomotives in the last week, including an 8F which is quoted as the last freight working by a steam locomotive

3 locos identified at Rose Grove during the last week

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Prototype/Rose_Grove.html NOT including 45110.

Daily Telegraph here seems to imply 18 locomotives at Carnforth http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/3637823/A-steam-free-world-forty-years-since-the-end-of-the-steam-engine.html

That description of the steam workings is very close to what I remember from the now 'lost' Lostock hall shed site.   At least it confirms that 5110 was the last loco to move on the shed.   I have seen a report that someone blew her whistle on the Monday morning as there was still enough pressure in the boiler.

Jamie

Yep. In 1970 I was heavily involved with the 8F Society at Bridgnorth, and we rushed to get her ready for a Tyseley Open Weekend, May 1970. She went along with 0-6-0 3205 and Pannier 5786, diesel hauled at 25mph.

The driver on the 8F, who was a BR driver at Saltley and knew the road, got bored with this and opened the 8F up. When speed reached 60mph, the diesel driver decided to call a halt by making a brake application, but with an 8F with its large ejector open and two GWR engines with their pumps working, he didn't have much of a chance. It was a very fast journey!

I was told something similar many years ago about a diesel being dragged by a steam locomotive. The diesel wasn't passed for mainline running but the steam locomotive was. The diesel was 'helping' a bit at times;-)

• Like 1

A couple more involving steam-hauled trains I travelled on..

post-24907-0-87794000-1517782426_thumb.jpg

This is 70013 at Carnforth, backing on to the 'special' I was on on 1st June - it had just taken over from D1773 which had brought the train in from north of the border, as related earlier in this thread. (I had joined at Carlisle.) Note the tolerant railway staff as photographers roam over the tracks! In mitigation, the tracks we were on were dead-end leading to the bay platforms at the east side of the station and were probably empty. I wonder if the chap on his hands and knees in the bottom left is reading this  - if so I'd love to see his photo!

post-24907-0-50024300-1517782459_thumb.jpg

On 16th July I had travelled on a Barrow to Lancaster train behind D1748 (joining at Grange-over-Sands) and on alighting at Lancaster I realised the coaches were to be attached to the rear of a southbound train headed by D416. When I saw that the loco to do this manoeuvring was Black Five no 45268 I jumped back on and travelled a hundred yards or so behind steam once again - albeit a shunt move!

Happy days

Trevor

• Like 19

Wonderful pictures - thanks all!

One thing I've noticed from those of the lines of parked up engines - the cab roof hatch is invariably open.

Would they have generally run open or shut?

Not sure it would be a weather consideration - more of a draft issue?

I don't recall seeing a hatch modelled in the open position?

I could imagine it being open on steam-raising to keep footplate clear of fumes.

We're getting near the end now but there's still a few more.  Here's another selection.

post-13986-0-86071900-1517828236.jpg

48247 at Carnforth on 9th July.

post-13986-0-01833400-1517828258.jpg

75048 at Carnforth the next day.

post-13986-0-07064800-1517828382.jpg

48026 at Manchester Victoria on 17th April.

post-13986-0-86007600-1517828406.jpg

48421 at Preston on 28th December 1967.

Chris Turnbull

• Like 18

@Chris

Just to say I particularly liked your recent shot of the 'Black Five' being coaled at Carnforth - you can almost hear the rumble as the coal empties into the tender!

Also in your latest batch 75048 appears to be in clean unlined black in July, yet on my shot, earlier in this thread, of the same loco at Silverdale on 1st August the lining on the tender seems to have reappeared! - it must be the same tender because both shots show the same unique(?) double electrification flashes at the top of the ladder on the rear. I wonder if it had just been coated in oil in your view but it had been rubbed off in the intervening weeks. Very strange!

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Beast. Strange I didn't notice a discrepancy, considering I used to teach maths...

Great stuff!

Although has 48447 lost a driving wheel somewhere? hee hee

Phil

Also in your latest batch 75048 appears to be in clean unlined black in July, yet on my shot, earlier in this thread, of the same loco at Silverdale on 1st August the lining on the tender seems to have reappeared! - it must be the same tender because both shots show the same unique(?) double electrification flashes at the top of the ladder on the rear. I wonder if it had just been coated in oil in your view but it had been rubbed off in the intervening weeks. Very strange!

Good point.  There can only be two options as far as I can see.  One is that the tender is not as clean as it looks in my photo, the other is that tenders were swapped between the two dates.  My vote goes to the former, not because of the electrification flashes, but because I doubt that tenders would have been swapped at that late date.  If there was a problem the loco would have been withdrawn.

Chris Turnbull