Retooled class 47 in 7mm scale

steve fay

• RMweb Premium

Just out of curiosity if someone is able to measure across the front from the outside edge of the two front windows- or better still post a photo with a ruler, I'd be grateful.

I'm going back to reworking the original and I'm wondering how much narrower it actually was.

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Just out of curiosity if someone is able to measure across the front from the outside edge of the two front windows- or better still post a photo with a ruler, I'd be grateful.

I'm going back to reworking the original and I'm wondering how much narrower it actually was.

can’t measure mine as I’ve packed it back up, but did the MM1 cabs match on the profile on the rear of the cab?

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

can’t measure mine as I’ve packed it back up, but did the MM1 cabs match on the profile on the rear of the cab?

I've only got the old Heljan model and Laurie warned me the MM1 cabs dont match the profile so I bought a complete MM1 kit in the end. My old Heljan is in storage at the moment so I've never been able to compare myself.

The MM1 cabs might fit the latest Heljan I suppose but I wouldn't bother to do that personally as easier and cheaper to just build the kit!

25 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I've only got the old Heljan model and Laurie warned me the MM1 cabs dont match the profile so I bought a complete MM1 kit in the end. My old Heljan is in storage at the moment so I've never been able to compare myself.

The MM1 cabs might fit the latest Heljan I suppose but I wouldn't bother to do that personally as easier and cheaper to just build the kit!

not sure they would as the roof apparently is a bit flat, and from what I can see, that may be correct.

Do we know how much of this new model is going to go into the 00 gauge version? The 45s and 25s seemed to carry over similar problems as their larger cousins. Hopefully the main problems can be altered and the new detail looks very nice. The faults pointed out with the shape are disappointing, I thought this was the point of the retooled model, to correct the previous one? 

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Do we know how much of this new model is going to go into the 00 gauge version?

There are pictures around of the EP.

I dont think this 7mm one is necessarily one of their best but it's an improvement over the original. Heljan's models have got more refined and some are very good but at the same time I think expectations have gone up.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

There are pictures around of the EP.

I dont think this 7mm one is necessarily one of their best but it's an improvement over the original. Heljan's models have got more refined and some are very good but at the same time I think expectations have gone up.

As have the prices!

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I personally think, the fine detailed items should come in a seperate bag for attaching buy the purchaser. That would at least prevent them getting damaged in the post. When the ED arrives, it will have horns proud of the cab roof, hoses on the front, buffers and buffing plate and all the delicate pipe work on the compressor and MG set etc to get knocked off. I really hope Ben and Co get to grips with how they support these locos so even if the loco moves, the detail doesn’t get ripped off

17 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

I personally think, the fine detailed items should come in a seperate bag for attaching buy the purchaser. That would at least prevent them getting damaged in the post. When the ED arrives, it will have horns proud of the cab roof, hoses on the front, buffers and buffing plate and all the delicate pipe work on the compressor and MG set etc to get knocked off. I really hope Ben and Co get to grips with how they support these locos so even if the loco moves, the detail doesn’t get ripped off

One of the things I love about Heljan O gauge locos is the fact that we don't have to mess around adding the fine detail (probably more to do with my eyesight than anything!) - to my mind its just the mounting/packing that's at issue. With the exception of the ill-fated re-released class 31s, I've never had any issues with any Heljan O gauge loco on MDF or solid wood board (although, having said that, I'm not having locos shipped from China to Europe and then back again to Australia).

• Informative/Useful 1

Like many, my Large Logo 47 arrived with a broken buffer head, I suspect there really is an ongoing issue for Heljan to address here but in the meanwhile I've received some good, turned steel headed 22" OLEO buffers from Invertrain . For £7.50 with £1 p&P they are excellent value and the shank will fit into the Heljan buffer body perfectly. Just thought I'd recommend. Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 11/11/2021 at 21:43, 43179 said:

Ah that’s a brilliant shot - it also shows to good effect how the ‘brows’ above and below the windscreen frames come into being - and again , by flattening this area they arent formed correctly on the Heljan model.
Agreed , I think the 50 has the same issue but to a lesser degree.  What’s interesting is the forthcoming 56 appears to suffer the same issue with windscreens and cab roof profile - almost as if it was “copied and pasted” 

Jon

Standard Heljan design issue. The 7mm 31 potentially has the same

issue as does the early version of the 25. They all suffer from flat front syndrome.

• Agree 2

On 17/11/2021 at 08:56, Class 158 productions said:

Do we know how much of this new model is going to go into the 00 gauge version? The 45s and 25s seemed to carry over similar problems as their larger cousins. Hopefully the main problems can be altered and the new detail looks very nice. The faults pointed out with the shape are disappointing, I thought this was the point of the retooled model, to correct the previous one? 

I too am very interested to see how the Heljan 4mm model turns out. I want to invest in some new 47s. But will await for a few folks to stick the Bachmann OO offering next to the Heljan, look at the comparative prices in relation to how the models end up looking. And then take the plunge and stick with one brand.

1 hour ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

I too am very interested to see how the Heljan 4mm model turns out. I want to invest in some new 47s. But will await for a few folks to stick the Bachmann OO offering next to the Heljan, look at the comparative prices in relation to how the models end up looking. And then take the plunge and stick with one brand.

Probably a good move - I think the HJ is slightly cheaper than the bachy but that’s null and void if they continue their misshapes.

B5509ECF-1F79-4322-A569-D56E3050D0EE.png

Edited by rob D2
Refuses to upload photo ,
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have spent the weekend working on a pair of these locomotives, and the more I have done, the more I like it as a model.  I can't be confident they are 100% accurate (but what model is?)  But it is clear that a lot of thought has gone into them, and they are highly detailed and beautifully presented.  As usual, the Heljan mechanism is superb, with the chassis designed with sound and smoke firmly in mind.  It is curious that the brochure contains an inaccurate wiring diagram, but that is not a show stopper.  As for the shape, I am far from convinced that Heljan has got it wrong.  An initial concern that the top of the cab is too flat is dispelled quickly by a glance at 47 358 on page 5 of this thread.  

Anyway, here are some shots of my pair in action in and around Clagworth; I hope they will win over some of you.

PM

IMG_3829.jpeg

IMG_3832.jpeg

IMG_3834.jpeg

IMG_3835.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg

IMG_3850.jpeg

IMG_3853.jpeg

IMG_3856.jpeg

IMG_3886.jpeg

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, uk_pm said:

IMG_3832.jpeg

IMG_3835.jpeg

Really nice weathering job on those and good clear photos. For me the head on looks really good, 3/4 view less so. A comparison with MM1s (accepting the danger of comparing to another model), shows the different amount of "sweepback" on the windows. The differences are subtle and its is obviously entirely personal whether the overall impression works for someone.

113307253_20211116_083900.jpg.aa6f3fa3df20baf050ccc12a156b1f1d(2).jpg.97485403f8b501a47acd559e1a3e6721.jpg

88539368_20211116_090038.jpg.33de197580a65eeff93addb813c078a3(2).jpg.524ee08ee11d2f578264bae6db0986c7.jpg

• 1 month later...

As regards packaging and damage is it a given that these are tested before release?

By that I mean you can put as much foam in and screw to a base as is possible but until its posted and tested in the field they (Heljan) or indeed any other manufacturer wont be aware of any potential issues.

The best country to do that in surely is the UK, post a model to themselves several times and assess results. Just a thought.

As has been pointed out to Heljan previously there exists a standard drop test  for packaging  which is 1 metre on to a concrete floor, it's a good starting point.  But I doubt that Heljan do this as it seems they would rather just suck it and see what happens.  That policy must cost them a fortune and really puts customers off.

• Agree 1

When my 47 arrived it too had buffer damage, well housing,

IMG_0491.JPEG.80228c6e2420c66b9d736f7c74186515.JPEG

Returned back to Hatton's for refund as they were out of stock, straightforward, no problems.

The one I have now came from Kernow which was fine until I noticed RH lead end buffer stuck in which I gently pushed to release it and the head was snapped inside, luckity easiy repaired and functioning.

Some weeks later I got a Hatton's wish list email, and what could it be?

4860-PO_202112141201_3820647_Qty1_3.jpg.76a1abed046caacbbb95c04bf8d9fe2b.jpg

That front end looks familiar, apart from the other buffer's not on, it was when I sent it back.

So has Hatton's took it on the chin and opted to sell it on or has Heljan refused to accept it back, Once it's out the door not our problem.

I've just got a limited edition class 50 that has paint marks, misses and a chip on the roof, after informing the supplier I've been told they have to speak to Heljan in the new year about it, so have to wait and see.

Back to the 47 has anybody noticed that the coupling hooks just rotate in the boxes? you can see it in the picture above.

• RMweb Premium

I noticed the other day my local model shop has Heljan locos on display. Thanks to covid I've not seen a lot of these in the flesh and I've got to be honest, several looked much better than in photos. The 03 has a surprising presence to it and the GWR railcar windows are nothing like as prismatic as they look online.

Sadly their 47 was boxed and as I'm not in the frame I didn't ask them to get it out but I would be interested to see it live now.

Edited by Hal Nail

After to much joviality on new years eve I hit the buy button and ordered a Rail freight red version. Fancy doing it as 47363 Billingham Enterprise, but have noticed the red stripe dose not extend to the cab, so has anyone tried to remove the red stripe from a Heljan model? Any chance it will rub away with isopropanol to leave the yellow cab underneath (I know I'm being hopeful) or is it a full repaint of the cab?

JP

• 2 weeks later...