KNP

Well, this Cakebox Challenge is nearing the completion of phase 2.

First we had a dry day but with a slightly overcast sky

post-8925-0-19702000-1517253578_thumb.jpg

Then later it all changed as the heavens opened

post-8925-0-12545700-1517253586_thumb.jpg

but as ever in these valleys it turned again this time into snow....

post-8925-0-40374500-1517253598_thumb.jpg

At this point I was soaked though and Cold! so I beat a hasty retreat but will endeavour to venture out again tomorrow - weather permitting to see what's been happening

• Like 14

Good morning everyone.......

Throwing back the curtains with gusto I ventured out into the wild valleys to traipse full of vim and vigor down to the stream to see what has been happening after yesterday's changing weather!

Well, change it did and my idea of playing pooh sticks turned into a winter trek instead

Heading off down the line

post-8925-0-46182800-1517299743_thumb.jpg

I walked into the field leading to the stream

post-8925-0-26640700-1517299780_thumb.jpg

Then after crossing over I stood by my favourite little bridge

post-8925-0-22477000-1517299817_thumb.jpg

So it did lay, but luckily only a dusting.....

Now I know why it was called Cold!

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Should i just give in now trying to model to this standard before i waste too much more time, money and effort? :O :banghead:  :cry:   or carry on and learn from the master model maker that is KNP? Words fail me as to just how real this and your other work really is!  :)  :locomotive:

I certainly can't hope to match the quality in here but we are not going to get worse by trying!

I certainly can't hope to match the quality in here but we are not going to get worse by trying!

:declare:

Just wow, utterly stunning what did you use for the snow and how did you apply it (e.g. dust with hair spray then sprinkle?)

Always have a go, I knocked up a section of dummy scenery to work on and then sat back, had a think and tried various different ways to see what was best, or more importantly what suited my style of modelling best.

I have never done snow before, thought about it many a time but always shied away and stuck with ordinary scenery.

In the end it ended up being quite easy, what you see was done in a day.

Honest....guv.....

Never forget about wargamming websites as what they sell for scenery and/or accessories can, and is, very useful for us railway modeller's as well.

The snow is fine white sand sold in small bags obtained from serious-play.co.uk which has an extensive and useful range of scenery materials, I do believe originally aimed at wargammer's but now for all hobbies.

Have a look and you will be amazed at what they sell......I was.

Back to the snow.

First never get stuck on one idea or way of working.

I adopted three ways of working.

First way - sprinkle on the snow and work into the static grass dry then apply some hairspray to fix. Let dry completely before proceeding.

Second way - spray over the grass with hairspray and then sprinkle on the snow. Again, let it dry.

The difference between these two ways of applying the snow is amazing, nothing to stop you from combining the two either which I have done in a few places.

​The beauty of using sand is that it is heavier than ordinary scatter materials so can be forced between the static grass easier.

Third way - white paint either on it's own or over the white sand to solidify the appearance.

post-8925-0-89148000-1517414352_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-91528900-1517414586_thumb.jpg

This form of applying scatter material has been used extensively on Little Muddle to gives the diverse grass effects you see all over the layout.

Give it a go, as they say nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The only bit of advice I would give is try it out first on a test area rather than the main project.....!!!!!

• Like 6

Now the sun has come out and cast some wonderful shadows over the snowy scene.

This is the original picture after focus merge and you can see how I tilted it (on a tape measure!!) to get the light reflecting off the water and form long shadows as if a low morning sun.

A bit trial and error this bit to get the light on the water plus the shadows in the right way to give the effect I was after.

Also down sun as well to put most of the scenery in shadow thereby reducing it's impact

post-8925-0-22175100-1517496887_thumb.jpg

Because I take my pictures at a very high setting, this one is 8.65mb I can zoom in and not loose too much definition.

So this is how I can alter the feel of the picture by different crops and rotate it to change the viewpoint as well.

post-8925-0-98822400-1517496900_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-16617400-1517496917_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

Cold!

Is now finished......

So here are some pictures using the editing suite to cut the picture out and to give a plain white background

post-8925-0-43396800-1517559045_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-66200000-1517559058_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-63965400-1517559069_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-34115000-1517559084_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-14557400-1517559515_thumb.jpg

Since taking these I have given the plinth another coat of black paint as you can see the MDF 'grinning' through in places.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 7

I expect there will be but with no scenery involved.......!!!!

Touched on it when I posted those pictures taken at the GWR Museum - Steam on the main Little Muddle website......I sort of have an idea for a night scene with working lights.

But first

The railway room needs attention as I propose to build a new work bench with purpose fitted lighting/power instead of the current process of running an extension lead with an angle poise lamp plugged in.

Then I have Misty - steam drifter to finish.

Then the traverser at Encombe station to build

Then the semi derelict barn needs finishing

Then the Little Muddle harbour needs finishing with rowing boats etc.

Then I want to install a DCC shuttle module between the stations

Then I want to upgrade the trees in the garden of Middle Farm from the twisted wire and foam ones as they are now looking distinctly tired.

Then............!!!!

By time I finish that lot it will be Monday so I can then start the third CBC called 'Not another one?' with a clear conscious.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

A bit of activity has been seen on this CBC after quite a while,

as out of gloom appeared first one and then another loco heading purposefully along the track,

past they went nevertheless and on into the distance,

into the murky gloom of a cold, snowy day,

on they went to who knows where (actually I have no idea as I haven't built that bit...…..!!)

post-8925-0-70964900-1532190115_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-32695300-1532190125_thumb.jpg

Yeo and Peggy supplied courtesy of Andrew Mott

• Like 10