Combined postage for foreign buyer

backofanenvelope

Hello,

Just a brief question as I have done a search on here and with eBay community pages but am really non the wiser as I have never shipped abroad. For a few items I have added will ship abroad but didn't think about buyer could get multiple things. Yes I know its probably me being dim but I don't see where you can specify combined postage? Or is that when the action is sold? I am assuming it is possible but then I read a load of posts on the community pages which left me even more confused.

Would some one who has experience of this comment as I am not sure whether I should withdraw auction and just make it UK only.

Thanks for any advice.

T.

For the future, you can state (in the product description) that the buyer should contact you for postage costs if outside the UK. E-bay then re-invoices the buyer once you have calculated and entered it at your end. I have just been through that process as a buyer, when ordering an old WTT from a dealer on e-bay in the UK to be posted to here in France.

If you just put an amount in for postage for the listing and then adjust it for multiple purchases it will not be an issue. I am in Australia and routinely buy from Ebay sellers. Once you get over the initial doubts about things it really is not too bad - just some customs paperwork to fill out.

I would caution against getting involved in the Ebay shipping program. They charge the individual postage for each item to the buyer even when they send them together. I was gouged once by that and never again. Many overseas buyers feel the same.

regards,

Craig W

....I would caution against getting involved in the Ebay shipping program. They charge the individual postage for each item to the buyer even when they send them together. I was gouged once by that and never again. Many overseas buyers feel the same....

Never ever use Global Shipping Programme if you think you might attract a buyer of several items. It is incredibly inflexible. As a seller, I found this out the hard way, so no longer use GSP.

• Like 1

Never ever use Global Shipping Programme if you think you might attract a buyer of several items. It is incredibly inflexible. As a seller, I found this out the hard way, so no longer use GSP.

I won three David Geen coaches that were listed at shipping of 17.00 each and listed under the global shipping program.

I was charged three lots of local shipping to the UK distribution centre (paid to the seller) and 51 GBP (17 GBP each, paid to ebay) for shipping. All three were repacked together and had a shipping price of just over 20 GBP on them. Never again. robbing B******s

regards,

Craig W

Edited by Craigw

Most of the time when I see items listed using the GSP I'll skip straight past and head on to another listing. The pricing used by the GSP seems quite arbitary. I've seen a £5.00 sets of nameplates costing over £25.00 to post to Australia and an £80.00 white metal loco kit from the same seller with an around £18.00 postage charge. A number of times I've seen multiple listings for "buy it now" items from sellers at what appear to be good prices only to be deterred by the inabilty to have a combined invoice issued.

Dave R. 

......The pricing used by the GSP seems quite arbitary. I've seen a £5.00 sets of nameplates costing over £25.00 to post to Australia and an £80.00 white metal loco kit from the same seller with an around £18.00 postage charge. ....

Most of that goes to eBay anyway. The seller only gets the inland postage portion to send it to some massive industrial estate.

• RMweb Premium

I remember when the GSP was first launched. I took one look at it, saw the inflexibility and the Mickey taking postage Ebay were going to be coining in and got the hell out of it straight away.

It's noticeable that overseas sales are declining since this rip off was introduced which suggests many buyers are now sticking firmly to local sellers now.

Ok one last question, as I feared items have been won by foreign buyer and although I have opted out of GSP there seems no way out of it apart from marking items dispatched but I am guessing they want their costs no matter what. I did try and tell the buyer that there maybe no way out of it and offered to end auction and re-auction at later date but it has gone through.

What do my learned friends think?

Just in case anyone is in the slightest bit interested all has ended well and package will be safely heading over the water to its new owner. Hopefully they wont keep the kit as long as I did before building it.. 

The global shipping program seems like an "easy" option. The truth is that it really is not that hard sending things overseas. I have been buying from the UK via Ebay for quite a few years now and most people have no issues with shipping.

Regards,

Craig W

Hi Craig,

I got seduced into thinking that it was so much easier with GSP but the last 4 days of learning all about it and trying to help winning bidder get there stuff made me see that it wasn't anywhere near that easy, simple and useful. As a infrequent ebayer I highly recommend avoiding this if you are thinking about using it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's bad enough playing "postage rate roulette" when you are an overseas buyer without having ebay itself being amongst the worst of the offenders.

Kudos to those who go the extra mile to try and keep things sensible, luckily there are few of you out there.

Mike.