HST retirements and secondary deployments.

I can't find a thread that is covering, or encompassing the standing down of HST's from front line, mainline service on several routes.

So I've created this one, in the hope that by collating such topics here, it will save having several topics popping up and making any forum searches much more difficult.

Examples:

Grand Central have now retired their small HST fleet.

A number of GWR HST's have already left the GWML, for conversion for short formed ScotRail service and to go into storage.

In the coming 6 months, a large number of GWR HST's will be also be withdrawn and by this time next year, there will only be a relatively small number left.

Within only a couple of years, most will be gone from the ECML too.

Cross Country???

I'm sure most, if not all, will agree that the HST has been one of, if not the most successful passenger train on British rails.

Now coming towards the end of its useful life, I thought it fitting to capture its phasing out with a dedicated topic.

Ron

• Like 5

The Grand Central ones have gone to East Midlands to supplement their existing fleet, according to various forums (wnxxforums et al).

And the Pacer replacement suggested by woodenhead isn't that far off the mark: as far as I understand it, refurbished short HST sets with power doors go to GW and Scotrail, which along with other fleet changes allows a cascade of older DMUs to Northern (and others??) so they can phase out their pacers somewhere near the deadline in their franchise agreement. Ooh, a cascade, what a BR-era idea.

• Like 1

And retention tanks?  Or am I behind the times with the waste discharge issue?

According to https://www.railengineer.uk/2017/03/23/scotrails-new-hsts/

Modern controlled emission toilets from Semvac will be fitted, providing a significant environmental improvement

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

As a fan of the HST (I commuted on them for 30 years during my railway career) I am looking forward to trying out the GWR HST Gti version.

As I understand it they will be deployed  between Plymouth and Penzance, and also between Cardiff and Taunton.

Now I would think that having a few more and extending them to fill the 'gap' between Taunton and Plymouth on semi-fast services might be handy,

it would reduce the reliance on Cross Country Voyagers over that stretch,

cheers 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

​So are any class 43s actually being decommissioned and scrapped or are they all being refurbished to power short-form HSTs with 4 x MK3 coaches which have been refurbished with power doors? 

The ones going to ScotRail (IIRC 26 sets?) are being shortened, so half the Mk3 trailers from them will go into storage.

GWR are keeping something like 11 similar short sets (2+4), so again half of the Mk3's from them go into storage.

VTEC, or any successor, may be keeping a few in the short term, but they'll all go eventually.

That leaves just under half the ex-GWR & VTEC HST fleet as spare, so I think it likely scrapping will start in due course. 

EMT are getting a boost with extra sets, to release some 222's to be used on other routes, but when the franchise is relet, a replacement is quite likely to be part of the next incumbents terms.

• RMweb Gold

Looking in "Rail" today EMT about to melt down as HSTs not to be refurbed and the GC sets are stop gap sets so these finished by 2020. I suspect many tears will be shed about then.

I guess IEPs will beforced on to the bidders as part of some "package."

Some vague talk about future Welsh network using "Castle" HSTs fr Marches o free up 158s but 175 cascades.

I guess the Bute branch with HST would just be sort of covered travelator?.  HSTs have been to Blaenau Ffestiniog now that would be an enhancement.    

current work at wabtec proceeds apace with one coach having long term testing of a door - 24hour cycling in an attempt to destroy it.

10 plus XC and others trailers on site but as you might expect that coaches show variations in age related ware and build quality so not an easy job. - It does now make the scrapping of the Irish plug door stock look a little thoughtless but then that is through deep thick rose tinted specs !!

Robert  

EMT need the ex-GC sets to supplement the existing HST & 222 fleet due to timetable changes imposed by Thameslink. It is not to allow a cascade of 222 onto regional services.

EMT are apparently in discussion with DfT as to what is used in 2020 and up to any new fleet coming on line and what if anything gets done if it’s HSTs.

VTEC reportedly having to consider life extension to some HSTs for services north of Newcastle as the OHLE upgrades to allow the full Azuma/IET timetable are delays/postponed so not enough juice on offer. This may see the need for shortened 91&mk4 sets done away with. All this is part of the early termination & replacement of the ECML franchise.

Some talk elsewhere of HST power cars hauling Mk4 stock to save expense of upgrading Mk3 trailers given the Mk4s are going to be redundant. Adjustments to cabling etc needed but easier /cheaper than new doors, toilets etc.

• RMweb Premium

Are these 4+2 sets going to run on both engines, if so the power/weight ratio will be impressive on Scottish and Western routes!

At the Brush works there is a plain blue HST power car poking its nose out of the prep shed ready to leave, probably with the other power car attached.

It looks like the MML may be the final hunting ground of the full HST sets in a couple of years. There is certainly the intention to preserve a set based on GCRN, or at least to match the prototype class 252 and 3 trailer cars with a production variant. Shortage of siding and storage space for spares, rather than available stock, is likely to be the issue. 

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Looks smarter than I expected, it'll be weird seeing mk3s with recessed doors though! They look very narrow, I'm surprised it's wide enough for the 2020 wheelchair regs

Can't see that whilst at work but I'm guessing the same size doors they've always had but now plug? Them moving entirely out of the way should give a bit more space than a straightforward hinged door.