Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

• RMweb Gold

I keep trying to tell myself that I don't need another Terrier... I already have several small tank engines... but that *does* look rather nice...

Everyone needs another Terrier!!! (I need about another 45 but we will leave that there!!)

Gary

post-33498-0-09873500-1522754233.jpg

post-33498-0-98620600-1522754240.jpg

I will see if I can reskin the old freeware A1 for TS... into my liveries and other real ones too. The VW Terrier comes in lined blue KESR livery, so that's close enough. You can name it whatever you like too.

• Like 1

If we continue in this vein, the most feared engine on the line should be Greebo.

But isn't Greebo afraid of Granny Weatherwax's kitten You? That seems like the sort of name to get chalked on a particularly truculent older engine, as in "Oh no, I've been rostered to work with You again..."

Edited by Skinnylinny

You know you want one...

So... we have 11...

So:

One to the W&SR (Wimbledon & Sutton Railway)

Six to the LGWR (Littlehampton, Goring & Worthing Railway - Two rebuilt to 'Fairlie's Patent' to form No.8 'Goliath', Two rebuilt as a Garratt - 'Peacock' - one rebuilt with larger bunker and one left as-was.)

That leaves us with four...

One to the KLR.

One to the WNR.

Two to the GSR!

A Terrier? In Norfolk?

BLASPHEMY!

(Says a man running a Norfolk railway with a 14xx on it.)

Trouble is, which one?! I have a few ideas but I think I will leave you to muck around with the drawing this time...

The one that comes to mind immediately: disconnect the front and rear drivers. Replace with leading and trailing wheels. Add outside cylinders and connect piston rod to middle driver to turn it into a 2-2-2. Remove side tanks. Remodel boiler sides to turn into 2-2-2 well tank.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The one that comes to mind immediately: disconnect the front and rear drivers. Replace with leading and trailing wheels. Add outside cylinders and connect piston rod to middle driver to turn it into a 2-2-2. Remove side tanks. Remodel boiler sides to turn into 2-2-2 well tank.

L85vxSD.jpg

Like the one from Roxey below, where the roof over sails the ducket?

I don’t know whether different forms of construction applied to different batches, or whether practice was changed at refurbishment, or what, but I’ve seen pictures of both forms ...... might be wise to consult contemporary drawings and/or an authoritative tome, or Mr Holliday, who is pretty sure to know.

PS: looking at contemporary photos, there is quite a bit of subtle variation in the way the top of ducket to roof transition is dealt with on different vehicles, almost as if there wasn’t a totally fixed design, or as if it was a trouble-spot, so kept being fiddled with. I wonder if the original design was prone to water-penetration and damage to the timbers, and that different craftsmen tried different repairs.

You rang, m'lord?

I don't know, but I have to agree with your asssessment.  For Stroudley brakes it would seem that the thin metal sheeting used to cover the ogee could either stop just below the cantrail, butt up against the roof, or overlap the roof to a certain extent.  Later Billinton types were an inch or so taller, and, as a result, generally stopped just below the roof level, with a step, as this section shows. 

post-189-0-30602500-1522768396.png

The fancy moulding on the upper view will take some modelling.

You rang, m'lord?

I don't know, but I have to agree with your asssessment.  For Stroudley brakes it would seem that the thin metal sheeting used to cover the ogee could either stop just below the cantrail, butt up against the roof, or overlap the roof to a certain extent.  Later Billinton types were an inch or so taller, and, as a result, generally stopped just below the roof level, with a step, as this section shows. 

attachicon.gifducket section.PNG

The fancy moulding on the upper view will take some modelling.

Very helpful.

Next question: What was the arrangement after the projections had been rebuilt to a shallower configuration?

• Like 1

That's very helpful information, thank you Nick!

So having my ogee (is that the name for the shape, or the whole "ducket" part?) covering tucked under the roof would potentially be prototypical for certain coaches? The order of construction I've gone for rather assumes starting from the bottom with that sheet, as that's the easiest way to get it nice and level at the bottom.

• Like 1