Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

Argh... it looks like this project might not happen after all - I've made a very silly error with dimensions. I'd been hoping to make an LB&SCR B1 bodyshell to fit a Triang/Hornby LSWR M7 chassis, as the wheelbase is the same... but the driving wheel diameter is a foot different! I must have double- and triple-checked! However... it looks like the D1 0-4-2 tank has the same size of driving wheels (to within an inch) as the M7, if not exactly the same coupled wheelbase. I'm going to have to go and play around...

It may still become a B1 look-alike, as the splashers on the prototype are pretty close to the wheels, and would have to be oversized to allow for a) thicker-than-scale splashers and b) oversized flanges if I used the correct size of wheels.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

Another thought has occurred - I was wanting a 2-4-0 express engine for the Great Southern Railway (remember that bunch?) and this footplate sits at *exactly* the right height to match up with the tender design I had in mind. A quick trial fit suggests this might all still fit together...

• Like 3

That looks good, Gary, and given that nearly half of the wheel is hidden in splasher, I might get away with it... Hmmmmm, I could continue with this concept. I'll probably continue to try and produce both a B1 and a GSR 2-4-0 tender loco. :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well the B1 is GEM with scale Romfords, the now broken M7 chassis is from my old B1. the wheels are close enough in my humble opinion.

I'm pretty sure you could manage to make a decent B1 out of that chassis. (The wheelbase is 1mm out as well, but I countered that by having the rear wheel 1mm out in the other direction)

Gary

• Like 1

The 2-4-0 is sadly likely to be a one-off, bodged from yet another GBL Wainwright C class bodyshell... I will probably need to produce new splashers etc but a lot of this one will be built from the bits box, rather than a 3D-printed bodyshell.

• Like 2

Well, the model railway club's annual model building competition is tomorrow evening, so what better to submit than a couple of coaches? With the very kind help of burgundy of this parish, who provided me with some leftover LB&SCR transfers (thank you!), the Stroudleys have been sprayed brown and are receiving their lettering... Still to come are the brass grab rails (I'm not sure if I'll manage to put door handles on in time, or at all!), the rooves, and the lamps, plus painting the underframes, but they're definitely starting to look very smart, and the lettering really "lifts" the livery from a plain brown. I know they should be lined, but I've yet to figure out how to do that neatly around all that panelling...

post-793-0-05973000-1524511825_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-60872800-1524511980_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-31052200-1524512003_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

And finally... two of my Stroudley coaches completed, painted, glazed, and ready for service! (And for entering in the club's model building competition tonight!) It's been a bit of a rollercoaster, going from this:

post-793-0-65308400-1524557635_thumb.png

to this:

post-793-0-38148000-1524557835_thumb.jpg

to this:

post-793-0-50212900-1524557665_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-60426400-1524557710_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-46665300-1524557724_thumb.jpg

There have been lessons aplenty learned in the design of these, but I can now happily say I'm proud to put my name to these models. Hopefully I can complete a rake of these with a little less time pressure now, and start work on designing more kits!

• Like 1

Thanks, Annie! It's amazing how much a coat of gloss varnish then a coat of matt varnish (after the transfers!) hides the sins of glue leaking around parts!

I'm still working on the 7mm versions of these. The bodies are nearly done! I'll probably not produce a 7mm chassis though (or if I do, it'll be produced as a separate kit from the bodies, and most likely made of 2mm MDF rather than 1mm card). 

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 4

And finally... two of my Stroudley coaches completed, painted, glazed, and ready for service! (And for entering in the club's model building competition tonight!) It's been a bit of a rollercoaster, going from this:

attachicon.gifStroudleys.png

to this:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180328_084032456.jpg

to this:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180424_085550907.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180424_085622033.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180424_090055204.jpg

There have been lessons aplenty learned in the design of these, but I can now happily say I'm proud to put my name to these models. Hopefully I can complete a rake of these with a little less time pressure now, and start work on designing more kits!

Beautiful little pair of coaches, Linny. I'd be pleased too if I were you.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

attachicon.gifStroudleys.png

to this:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180328_084032456.jpg

to this:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180424_085550907.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180424_085622033.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180424_090055204.jpg

These are stunning Linny.

Shows how well they come up, but really good modelling there.

Once the dust settles on the school project, tomorrow(!), I'll turn my attention to ordering some and putting in an order for the buffers.

What did you use to make the grab handles?

Thank you! I used the Roxey Mouldings etched grab handles - they do loads of useful etched bits and pieces, and one etch would more than cover four four-wheelers. I must put more route discs on my next order!

Wish me luck in the model building competition tonight!

• Like 3