Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

Well, my lunch break today concluded my last deadline-oriented modelling for a little while - I finished painting up and lettering the LSWR G6 model as designed by sem34090 of this parish, printed by i.materialise in their standard resin (a more expensive, but higher-quality print than their SLS Polyamide. The loco has been primed with Humbrol acrylic primer, painted using Humbrol spray acrylic Brunswick Green (not quite the right shade, but it'll do for a rush job!) and lettered with some spare HMRS transfers I had lying about. 

Whether or not the loco will remain in this state once it's returned after the coursework has been marked remains to be seen - sem34090 has turned his into a rather nice freelance 0-4-2 tank, and I'm very tempted to persuade the board of the Great Southern Railway to acquire a similar locomotive for mid-range passenger services. I think it would look rather smart in blue...

post-793-0-13183800-1524658862_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-44347700-1524658877_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-90712300-1524658896_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Keep an eye out, you never know... It would fill a useful slot in the roster, to be honest. I already have:

Small 2-4-0T (Manning Wardle, in progress)
Small 0-6-0T (Sir Samuel Vimes)
Heavy shunter (un-named as yet, Triang Nellie body on an Electrotren 0-6-0 chassis, in progress)
Medium goods loco (Havelock Vetinari)

and thoughts for a 2-4-0 express passenger tender loco. The fleet is growing! I really must get around to making some baseboards soon, though!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 3

Ohhhhh that's a good one, I'm liking that. I'm still pondering a nice blue Terrier named Gaspode, and possibly a pair of locos (one rather larger than the other) called Esme Weatherwax and Gytha Ogg. The Manning Wardle might be Esme Weatherwax, and the heavier shunter Gytha Ogg...

• Like 1

Keep an eye out, you never know... It would fill a useful slot in the roster, to be honest. I already have:

Small 2-4-0T (Manning Wardle, in progress)

Small 0-6-0T (Sir Samuel Vimes)

Heavy shunter (un-named as yet, Triang Nellie body on an Electrotren chassis, in progress)

Medium goods loco (Havelock Vetinari)

and thoughts for a 2-4-0 express passenger tender loco. The fleet is growing! I really must get around to making some baseboards soon, though!

Surely "Iron Girder"?

• Like 1

Well, my lunch break today concluded my last deadline-oriented modelling for a little while - I finished painting up and lettering the LSWR G6 model as designed by sem34090 of this parish, printed by i.materialise in their standard resin (a more expensive, but higher-quality print than their SLS Polyamide. The loco has been primed with Humbrol acrylic primer, painted using Humbrol spray acrylic Brunswick Green (not quite the right shade, but it'll do for a rush job!) and lettered with some spare HMRS transfers I had lying about. 

Whether or not the loco will remain in this state once it's returned after the coursework has been marked remains to be seen - sem34090 has turned his into a rather nice freelance 0-4-2 tank, and I'm very tempted to persuade the board of the Great Southern Railway to acquire a similar locomotive for mid-range passenger services. I think it would look rather smart in blue...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180319_180249071.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180413_120223192.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180425_123356625.jpg

How much rubbing down/prep did that material need, because it looks to be a pretty good finish, in both the unpainted and painted shots?

Nice job on it, too, by the way.

I haven't sanded it down at all, except on one tank side where I left a fingerprint in the gloss paint! There's a little visible stepping in the cab roof, but the tank sides and horizontal surfaces are pretty much glass-smooth. The stepping on the boiler pretty much disappeared under two coats of primer and two of gloss acrylic spray. The cab roof stepping is just about visible still.

Edited by Skinnylinny

I haven't sanded it down at all, except on one tank side where I left a fingerprint in the gloss paint! There's a little visible stepping in the cab roof, but the tank sides and horizontal surfaces are pretty much glass-smooth. The stepping on the boiler pretty much disappeared under two coats of primer and two of gloss acrylic spray. The cab roof stepping is just about visible still.

Hmm. Impressive.

I bet it's cheaper than Shapeways' FUD or FXD.  Might that be the material of choice for Sem to design to?

Thanks

I believe it's due to different printing methods - SLS (Selective Laser Sintering, as used for the imaterialise polyamide) seems to be a powder that is melted with a laser (hence the slight grainy surface), whereas the resin is a liquid which is selectively cured with ultraviolet light (the way in which they do this is rather cool, it's basically a phone screen with an ultraviolet backlight, so that the screen turns on and off individual pixels), and a setting liquid gives a much flatter, smoother surface. Traditional filament-based 3d printers take a long, flexible plastic rod and melt it, squeezing it out of a nozzle like squeezing toothpaste, building up the model in layers. This gives a very obvious stepping appearance, which is fine for things on a human scale (key fobs, USB key cases, etc) but rather coarse for modelling purposes.

I've just received yesterday a very interesting sample piece, printed on a Formlabs Form 2 printer, and the finish is good enough that I couldn't distinguise it from a piece of (very finely) injection-moulded polystyrene. Matt finish, beautiful smooth surfaces around all the awkward curves (the layer thickness can be set from ~1 - 4 thou), and the printer will fit on a desktop next to a computer. The only problem is the price - a cool £3360 for the very basic model! I am, however, sufficiently impressed that I'm considering going to ask at the bank about a loan...

• Like 1

Should you get one I may be banging down your door with the bribe of you getting a free copy of whatever is produced!

By "Free" you mean "only the cost of the resin and electricity to run the thing and wear and tear on the machine", right? :P

I've worked with FormLabs printers before and probably will again this summer (for non-modelling purposes unfortunately) and they are very good - couple of drawbacks including very expensive resin, high waste and additional UV curing often needed (a separate expensive machine!). Be ideal for a hackspace/makerspace though, and can't be too long before they're down in price enough to suit the more fiscally challenged of us.

Hmmmm. I've seen a much cheaper home-made UV curing box, made from a cardboard box lined in tinfoil with a load of ultraviolet LEDs in it - total cost about £20, much cheaper than the £750 Formlabs want for it! The resin is also expensive, granted... 

• Like 1

Exciting news - a friend who apparently owns a 3D design, printing and prototyping company has offered me the use of his machine occasionally when it's not being used. I'm going to draw up some test parts to get printed by him. Unfortunately he's not in Edinburgh (or even Scotland, but Manchester!) so I'd still be at the mercy of the post. and having to pay for shipping. We'll see how the prices of bits pan out.

• Like 2

Exciting news - a friend who apparently owns a 3D design, printing and prototyping company has offered me the use of his machine occasionally when it's not being used. I'm going to draw up some test parts to get printed by him. Unfortunately he's not in Edinburgh (or even Scotland, but Manchester!) so I'd still be at the mercy of the post. and having to pay for shipping. We'll see how the prices of bits pan out.

Good news.

You could always holiday in Manchester.  I hear it's quite fragrant at this time of year.

I do have a few friends in that part of the world. I should go on a trip to visit some time...

It's a great town, especially if you're young enough to enjoy the night-life, and the Museum of Science and Industry is a railway 'must' for various reasons, not least of which is its inclusion of the L&MR station - but I'm sure you know all this.

I may only be 26 but I've never been much of one for night-life. I'd rather be in a quiet pub with a friend or two and a half-pint of something actually drinkable than in a noisy, smelly, sweaty nightclub where I need to use sign language to be understood! Maybe I'm just prematurely old... 

I've been to the MoSI a few times but haven't managed to see their Planet running, which is a great shame. Does anyone know when they run her? I can't find anything on the website...

• Like 1

I may only be 26 but I've never been much of one for night-life. I'd rather be in a quiet pub with a friend or two and a half-pint of something actually drinkable than in a noisy, smelly, sweaty nightclub where I need to use sign language to be understood! Maybe I'm just prematurely old... 

I've been to the MoSI a few times but haven't managed to see their Planet running, which is a great shame. Does anyone know when they run her? I can't find anything on the website...

Seen?

I've had a ride up and down their length of track behind her!  I think they run her weekends and bank holidays.

MoSI is a good place to visit, there's a cut up loco showing how steam is generated and used to drive the (motorised) wheels, a goodly selection of locos, mill engines and a wonderful whiff of gas when they're running the stationary gas engines!  Across the road there's the aeroplanes, and you might even see the Manchester Baby in operation....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1