Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

White/Blue Refurbished DMU livery

bennyboy

On 26/12/2022 at 22:06, markwilson said:

I've always thought that other vehicle types wouldn't need it as the Met-Camm vehicle fronts extend higher up the roof - other designs have the cab roof coming down to join the front above the windows (does that make sense)?

Fully understand what you mean - other DMU designs had more of a "roof dome".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, GordonC said:

I'd never seen a picture of the thin stripe - were many done like that? hard to believe, but it looks even worse than the more common version!

Possibly only that one, and then only on one side.  There is more info here: https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-101/liveries

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

The prototype refurbished unit was the only one with the thin stripe, and then only on one side of the three car unit. The other side of the unit had the more familiar thicker stripe, but it was higher up the bodyside than on the "production" version of the livery. On the prototype unit, it was just below the body side lights (windows) but on production units the stripe was located lower down, so as to accommodate the deeper body side lights on Derby built units such as Class 108; the result was that any refurnished units could couple together and give a continuous stripe along the entire train.

When first painted, the entire inner end of the body was white, and the blue stripe ran all the way to the inter-vehicle gangway, but practicality soon sew the inner end painted rail blue with a small amount of white livery wrapping around.

To see what could have been, scroll to the bottom of this page

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-100/liveries#others

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Bradford Forster Square 1980

Bradford Forster Square 04/1980

Feels like there's a micro layout there, looking over the platform and under the canopy, towards the bay :)

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

A bit like BR did with the real station? 😁

Having passed the present station today, the semi-deserted BR incarnation seems a bit more characterful...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder how many different PTE logos were carried on this livery? Here are a selection from Flickr:

From Tony Watson, just plain double arrows:

Reading, 14.4.80

From Derek Hoskins, 'Greater Glasgow':

101346 Dundee

From Brian McDevitt, West Midlands:

CL 101 M53336 at Exeter St Davids

From the Museum of Transport Greater Manchester, GMPTE:

Painting over the cracks

From Graeme Phillips, is this South Yorkshire PTE?

Class 114 DMU @ Doncaster, 1978 [slide 7858]

Also from Graeme Phillips, West Yorkshire PTE:

Class 101 DMU @ York, 05/08/1977 [slide 7708]

Also from Graeme Phillips, is this Tyne & Wear?

Class 101 DMU @ Blaydon, 04/08/1979 [slide 7982]

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

I wonder how many different PTE logos were carried on this livery?

IIRC, whatever the livery, the PTE logo was only on the driver's side - the other side had arrows as normal.

• Informative/Useful 2

49 minutes ago, keefer said:

IIRC, whatever the livery, the PTE logo was only on the driver's side - the other side had arrows as normal.

Yes, that's also what I found looking at the photos. The secondman's side always had a double arrow.

If they didn't have a PTE logo on the driver's side, they sometimes had a double arrow, and sometimes had nothing.

From Graeme Phillips again, here's one without a logo on the driver's side:

Class 101 DMU near Sandy, ECML, 17/07/1978 [slide 7806]

My previous post I think covered all the PTEs in existence at the time except Merseyside. Here's one by Martyn Hilbert at Birkenhead North, which you might expect to have a Merseyside logo if they were carried,  but it doesn't:

Class 101/108 DMU - Birkenhead North.

Also Greater Glasgow later became Strathclyde, possibly within the lifespan of this livery but maybe they were repainted before the name change.

• Like 9

Out of interest, do/have any units carried this scheme in preservation?

Just thinking, the KWVR made a splash with their 101 in plain blue, and how they might top it with their 108...

54 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Out of interest, do/have any units carried this scheme in preservation?

Just thinking, the KWVR made a splash with their 101 in plain blue, and how they might top it with their 108...

There's a photoshopped picture of the KWVR 101 in white and blue on Flickr - it kept cropping up in my searches. I didn't come across any photos of real examples of this livery in preservation, but they may exist.

17 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

There's a photoshopped picture of the KWVR 101 in white and blue on Flickr - it kept cropping up in my searches. I didn't come across any photos of real examples of this livery in preservation, but they may exist.

Perhaps people want to forget the period, it was a bit of a downer on the railways, just before the HST revolution and everything was going south - painting DMUs a bright colour whilst letting stations got to wrack and ruin, polishing a turd comes to mind.

But ahhhh do I miss it, that's when I was spotting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

My previous post I think covered all the PTEs in existence at the time except Merseyside. Here's one by Martyn Hilbert at Birkenhead North, which you might expect to have a Merseyside logo if they were carried,  but it doesn't:

The  above image at Birkenhead North features a Class 101 vehicle from the Chester allocation - these were not aligned with any PTE as they mostly operated across North Wales and on the Cambrian lines. 

The Merseyside PTE branding was (from memory) restricted to the Allerton based Class 108 fleet, and then only the power twin sets. The power trailer sets and the Class 115s only displayed BR arrows.

Here's an Allerton 108 power twin

52048_1980_04_Liverpool

• Like 15

20 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Yes, that's also what I found looking at the photos. The secondman's side always had a double arrow.

If they didn't have a PTE logo on the driver's side, they sometimes had a double arrow, and sometimes had nothing.

From Graeme Phillips again, here's one without a logo on the driver's side:

Class 101 DMU near Sandy, ECML, 17/07/1978 [slide 7806]

Also Greater Glasgow later became Strathclyde, possibly within the lifespan of this livery but maybe they were repainted before the name change.

Strathclyde PTE Orange and Black didn't come in until about 1984/1985. I dont think any were left in this livery by then and dont think the Strathclyde Transport logo ever appeared on BR Blue and Grey units either

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1