R6809 21 ton hopper odd message in tampo printing

Jenny Emily

I couldn't find a thread for these wagons, so I started a new one. I've bought several of these to make up a rake, but when filming R6809 with a macro lens I discovered the message in the tampo printing on the solebar attached below. Quite strange to see what must have been a bit of a joke for some-one on the design team maybe? It says: "This sign is far too small to read. Good luck" 

I will check the others at some point and see if any others carry similar faintly amusing messages. 

post-8701-0-87669200-1517513804_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Well spotted Jenny, You'll have us all out with magnifiers checking whether your model is a one off (proving model?) that has gone unnoticed through production and packing, or if someone's wry observation was an intentional comment during preparation of the printing process.

Whatever, its raised a smile here, thanks for posting.

Regards,

John

• RMweb Premium

This is hilarious, and especially so if the model has been out for some time ...... and the sign really has been too small to read and no one has noticed (up till now)!

John Storey

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Curiosity got the better of me , so I've examined the Hornby 21 Ton Hoppers I have (R6782 Triple Pack). I didn't in fact need a magnifier to see that nothing - other than 'closed' and the curved white arrow -  is printed in that location on my models, not even the broken white line box which surrounds the tiny printing on Jenny's example. 

So, has Jenny got an escapee from the design stage, or was her model scheduled for release on 01/04/(17 or 18)???

Regards,

John :jester:

OK, had a look. Don't know about catalogue numbers but I have a HOP21 E304962k and it does indeed have the message per Jenny's photie above  :triniti:

Edited by Caledonian
  • Like 2

The catalogue number is R6809 and it is indeed a HOP 21 example. I also have and have checked all of R6782 (triple pack) R6676, R6677 and R6808 and none of them have the message on. My guess is that whoever had the job of deciphering the panel on a photograph of the real wagon got frustrated at squinting and typed that comment in instead, perhaps as a statement of how much it didn't matter what was written in the panel. Maybe they were right if this wagon has been out a while and their message has only just been noticed.

I only went out to get the TOPS coded HTO examples and couldn't find any still in stock so had to make do. They are a superb model and I got one of every example that the shop still had in stock. They put the old Hornby Dublo/Wrenn model to shame!

• Like 1

The catalogue number is R6809 and it is indeed a HOP 21 example. I also have and have checked all of R6782 (triple pack) R6676, R6677 and R6808 and none of them have the message on. My guess is that whoever had the job of deciphering the panel on a photograph of the real wagon got frustrated at squinting and typed that comment in instead, perhaps as a statement of how much it didn't matter what was written in the panel. Maybe they were right if this wagon has been out a while and their message has only just been noticed.

Don't know about the exact release date but mine was one of the 2017 batch

Edit: just checked last year's catalogue R6809 is indeed the one I've got and was supposed to be a second quarter 2017 release 

Edited by Caledonian

OK, had a look. Don't know about catalogue numbers but I have a HOP21 E304962k and it does indeed have the message per Jenny's photie above  :triniti:

It is from this photo http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerhopper21ton (eh gods taken more than 50 years ago!) Not readable on the 2MB scan that Hornby bought; it might be on a full scan - it is something very unusual.

Paul

Quite possible that it was added by one designer "to be fixed later", only they never got round to it.

Like seeing an article in a magazine with "Insert title here".

see also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-42250212

and

Headline to go in here LR.JPG

Alternatively, it could have been a designer being ‘clever’

Reminds me of when a local brickworks made a large number of staff redundant: the final batch of bricks (something like 20,000) they produced instead of having the company name imprinted bore a different legend instead, a rather derogatory word starting with b and ending in s !!

• Like 2

I got a response from Hornby this morning. They said:

"A member of the Dev team was a bit red faced when we showed him your tweet! With details like this too hard to read on source images, we've recreated the detail in such a way that it looks correct, but with a little 'Easter egg' in there for collectors"

So now we know. I imagine the conversation went something like: "Oh yeah, I meant to mention that there was this sign on the wagon that was just too small to read in the photo you gave us to work from."

Edited by Jenny Emily
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

It is from this photo http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerhopper21ton (eh gods taken more than 50 years ago!) Not readable on the 2MB scan that Hornby bought; it might be on a full scan - it is something very unusual.

Paul

Hi Paul

When I opened the link it was asking me to register. Is this now for the whole site or where manufacturers have used your photos without permission? If for the whole site then I will register.

Hi Paul

When I opened the link it was asking me to register. Is this now for the whole site or where manufacturers have used your photos without permission? If for the whole site then I will register.

No, its the only collection I've done this on. I had a period when I did it for a lot more but gave up.

It was really interesting to see how many emails I received yesterday notifying me of people logging in to the collection. Yes it was connected with Hornby doing the model. And I have no problems with Hornby now - if they had asked for a rescan I would have tried for them. Except when a company clearly says what they are modelling - as with the list of HUOs yesterday - I don't know of many of the models based on my photographs. Despite their miniature size, I might have tried to get one of these if I had known as I have a 'soft spot' for models based on photos I took when, in todays horrible parlance, I was a child.

Paul

I have rescanned the photo of the prototype and this is a close up of the unusual message:

post-387-0-10705500-1517688143.jpg

It reads

NO HEAT TO BE

APPLIED TO

DOOR INDICES

-US--- HOLES

I am not sure of the indices and cannot read the first word on the last line. I haven't hunted, but I don't believe I have seen a message like this on another hopper wagon.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I have rescanned the photo of the prototype and this is a close up of the unusual message:

E304962K HOP 21 LNER 21t hopper unfit Tare 9-10 Diag 100 rivetted @ Feltham Marshalling Yard 67-11-15 © Paul Bartlett detail.jpg

It reads

NO HEAT TO BE

APPLIED TO

DOOR INDICES

-US--- HOLES

I am not sure of the indices and cannot read the first word on the last line. I haven't hunted, but I don't believe I have seen a message like this on another hopper wagon.

Paul

I think it’s Hinges rather than indices...

Edited by NaN
  • Like 1