3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

How many class 68’s have you got ?

6..  1x Chiltern, 3x DRS, 1 X Scr, 2x TPE

Future.. 6.. I will sell 1 TPE to replace with 1 other TPE 

How many class 88’s would I have..

2.. DRS

if I am an average 68 modeller... then sales of an 88 would be 3x less than a 68.

(unless theres new liveries theres no point, and theres only 10 of them in reality).

Dapol could save in an 88 by reusing the 68 internals, but they would need a new body, bogies and underframe.. plus pantographs.

From geography, 88s are a bit limited to the upper north WCML areas. The 68 covers a much wider area.

To me its a bit risky to make a class 88 today.. but the class has decades still to run.. just something as simple as adding 1 new livery could change the quantity of potential sales...

I think the class 88’s could be a suitable Sleeper fleet someday, if that happened it would literally change the demand dynamic overnight.

That is almost spooky.

How many class 68s have I got?

6.  2 x Chiltern*, 2 x DRS, 1 X Scr, 1 x TPE

Future. 6. No plans for more. 

* To top and tail a non-existent train, taking advantage of the innovative lighting arrangements.

How many class 88’s would I have?

2. DRS

Are we average 68 modellers? I don’t know – I think I went a bit mad on 68s. They have an irresistible quality about them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That's the issue with Chiltern ones though isn't it, nothing RTR to run them with!

its not as bad as with my Lima National Power class 59 for years.

this isnt too far from out of place, a bit of effort you could close the gap..

(web url not my image)

68012_5J68__HNJ_161214

every Saturday morning DRS sends their light engines from Wembley to Crewe, Ive seen a Chiltern 68 show in this regular consist (with other 68’s or even 37’s) or piggy back a contrainer freight before now.

Thats the great thing about..

1. Railtours

2. Rule 1.

https://www.mainlinediesels.net/index.php?nav=1001094&lang=en&id=9647&action=shownews#.Xg4HYi-nyf0

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

its not as bad as with my Lima National Power class 59 for years.

this isnt too far from out of place, a bit of effort you could close the gap..

(web url not my image)

68012_5J68__HNJ_161214

every Saturday morning DRS sends their light engines from Wembley to Crewe, Ive seen a Chiltern 68 show in this regular consist (with other 68’s or even 37’s) or piggy back a contrainer freight before now.

Thats the great thing about..

1. Railtours

2. Rule 1.

https://www.mainlinediesels.net/index.php?nav=1001094&lang=en&id=9647&action=shownews#.Xg4HYi-nyf0

Yes there is always rule 1!

But I also agree railtours are a great cop out. I bought a rake of 5 railroad mk1s for around £60 purely to give my predominantly freight loco fleet a bit of variety! As I am fairly new to the hobby after a 20 year hiatus all the passenger stuff I want isn't available yet!

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

From geography, 88s are a bit limited to the upper north WCML areas. The 68 covers a much wider area.

WCML

class 88s run between Daventry and Mossend, and will be running from Dagenham to Liverpool

ECML

They used to run between Doncaster and Millerhill

Regards

Darryl

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

WCML

class 88s run between Daventry and Mossend, and will be running from Dagenham to Liverpool

ECML

They used to run between Doncaster and Millerhill

Regards

Darryl

The ECML stuff has been taken over by Colas hasn't it. I know it's probably part of a bigger package but to me it seems madness to be letting electric only routes be run by diesels when other operators have electrics available. Colas must be the only one without any electrics aren't they?

That is unless the 88 did need to use diesel at each end meaning a 90 or 92 couldn't do the work

Edited by TomScrut

Class 88s also work the Carlisle to Torness flask flow via the ECML. I have seen  them running diesel under the wires a few times as well as switching to diesel at Dunbar when running via Tyne valley. As for the Doncaster to Millerhill that transferred to colas not too long after it started with the preferred traction now being class 70s or 9 times out of 10 a class 56.

On 02/01/2020 at 13:57, TomScrut said:

In fairness the comments from 6 years ago aren't really that relevant are they (other than confirming they didn't get it then)? The one from last year on the other hand, is.

Why on earth wouldn't they have wanted to make it available? Unless they were waiting for it to be a better sell/manufacturers weren't willing to offer enough given the issues we are discussing here?

Agreed.  Another point... let's just suppose that even if Dapol had been granted an exclusive license to produce the 88 then it is highly unlikely that any license for any product would exist on indefinite terms.  Licenses expire.  Additionally, I doubt it would be in any manufacturer's interests to sit on an exclusive license for years and do nothing.  Doing so would hardly bode well if said licensee wished to license further products/designs from the same proprietor, in this case DRS, at any point in the future, by then having earned a reputation for licensing products that it has no intention of manufacturing... 

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, TomScrut said:

The ECML stuff has been taken over by Colas hasn't it. I know it's probably part of a bigger package but to me it seems madness to be letting electric only routes be run by diesels when other operators have electrics available. Colas must be the only one without any electrics aren't they?

That is unless the 88 did need to use diesel at each end meaning a 90 or 92 couldn't do the work

Hence why i said 'used'.

Colas won the contract on probably cost, if DB, DRS, GBRf had of been cheaper then they would have won.

DB used to have the contract and that was occasionally class 90 hauled.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, YesTor said:

Agreed.  Another point... let's just suppose that even if Dapol had been granted an exclusive license to produce the 88 then it is highly unlikely that any license for any product would exist on indefinite terms.  Licenses expire. 

That was the reason given why Dapol didn't produce the MRA set in Metronet yellow as the livery licence had expired.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

Hence why i said 'used'.

Colas won the contract on probably cost, if DB, DRS, GBRf had of been cheaper then they would have won.

Yes I was elaborating rather than correcting you!

• Like 1

On 03/01/2020 at 11:50, daz9284 said:

Who knows if it was cost outside Network Rail towers! Every 5 years the LDC and haulage contracts are re-let. The most recent reshuffle was spring 2019, hence the change to Colas. GB won a heck of a lot of work from NR, of the three trips I deal with (previously 2 Colas, 1 DB) now it's one Colas, 2 GBRF

Jo

1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

Who knows if it was cost outside Network Rail towers! Every 5 years the LDC and haulage contracts are re-let. The most recent reshuffle was spring 2019, hence the change to Colas. GB won a heck of a lot of work from NR, of the three trips I deal with (previously 2 Colas, 1 DB) now it's one Colas, 2 GBRF

Jo

Hence 'propably' in the first sentence, but hand up I forgot it in the second.

The Doncaster - Tyne Yard - Millerhill has had four hauliers in three years.

Until early 2018 DB worked Doncaster - Tyne Yard and I think GBRf worked the Tyne Yard to Millerhill portion. then 2018-2019 it was DRS did the whole lot from Donny to Millerhill then from 2019 it had been Colas.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If only based on how much I sold my TPE 68 for on ebay this morning, I would say that the demand for another run is there. I would have kept it, but it was an impulse buy based on the line next to our house (and has since sat in a box in the cupboard) and I can now get 2 new steamers for it :-D

Edited by Markn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Markn said:

If only based on how much I sold my TPE 68 for on ebay this morning, I would say that the demand for another run is there. I would have kept it, but it was an impulse buy based on the line next to our house (and has since sat in a box in the cupboard) and I can now get 2 new steamers for it :-D

Haha we have spoken about this on Facebook then. You have done very well with it, although I do find it absurd especially given I'd say the new run is probably very likely!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Markn said:

There is a sound fitted one in a local model shop for less......................

(or at least there was last weekend)

Edited by newbryford

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

There is a sound fitted one in a local model shop for less......................

(or at least there was last weekend)

Where is your local shop? Whilst I don't really want a sound one I'd consider one at or around RRP.

54 minutes ago, newbryford said:

JDM Models in Settle - open today 1045-3pm

Thanks, ordered on their website. I'd rather buy a sound one than risk not getting one if they don't do the next run. Given they aren't doing sound on the next batch (by the looks of it) it may hold value well anyway.

Edited by TomScrut

• 3 years later...