Furness Railway Class 1 (D5) 0-6-0

Corbs

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

There seems to be scant information on Furness Railway locos in general online.

The Class 1 0-6-0 loco

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furness_Railway_Class_D5_0-6-0

I am considering a model of this prototype but have a question about boilers.

Wikipedia says:

"Initially only four were built but, during World War I, a further fifteen were added, all of which had boilers six inches longer than the first four, making them generally more capable but two tonnes heavier"

This photo shows 52509 with a belpaire firebox in 1951 and the slotted spectacle plates.

1024px-Furness_Railway_0-6-0_at_Workingt

But this photo shows the same loco in LMS days as 12509 with a round topped boiler and more of a jutting smokebox.

furness-railway-1-class-0-6-0-no12509-on

This was one of the later locos, so according to wikipedia had the larger boiler.

My question is; were any of them built with belpaire fireboxes or was it the LMS that rebuilt them as such? Were any FR locos fitted with belpaires by that company?

• Like 1

Corbs you need to hunt out Mike Peascod's article on these in BRM October and November 2011.  12 pages of pictures and drawings of the round top and belpaire (yummy!).  There's even a colour rendering of the loco showing FR livery.

As for the question, all but one of the pictures in the article shows the loco with round top boilers.  The exception is 12479 which was fitted with a L&Y Belpaire boiler in 1925.  The front spectacles were modified to suit.

Obviously this was not the only loco so fitted, in fact Mike lists 3:  12479, 12469 and 12471.

HTH

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Corbs you need to hunt out Mike Peascod's article on these in BRM October and November 2011.  12 pages of pictures and drawings of the round top and belpaire (yummy!).  There's even a colour rendering of the loco showing FR livery.

As for the question, all but one of the pictures in the article shows the loco with round top boilers.  The exception is 12479 which was fitted with a L&Y Belpaire boiler in 1925.  The front spectacles were modified to suit.

Obviously this was not the only loco so fitted, in fact Mike lists 3:  12479, 12469 and 12471.

HTH

John

Thanks so much both of you! That explains a lot as the belpaire boilers look very similar to those worn by the L&Y Class 28!

• Like 1

What do you want to know about them? I'm currently building 2 of them, in 7mm, using Chowbent kits as a starting point. There was a number of different types and then there were the LMS/BR rebuilds. 

Marc 

• RMweb Gold

I'm almost trying to draw a bullseye around the dart after it's hit the board, but I was after a loco that ticked a few boxes:

-Furness railway owned

-0-6-0

-Belpaire boiler

But from above it seems that all FR locos had round topped fireboxes whilst in their ownership. It's alright though, I may settle for a smaller FR 0-6-0 with a round topped boiler as I think it could be converted from a GBL C Class.

To answer you question the only Furness Locos that were originally built with a Belpaire fire box were the 4-6-4Ts circ 1921. As stated before other Furness locos were rebuilt by either the LMS or BR with LYR boilers. The LMS also rebuilt a class L2 0-6-2T and a single Class 3 0-6-0.

As a side the class 7's were also sold to the North Staffs.

Marc

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...
On 14/02/2018 at 15:05, Corbs said:

Hello,

The Class 1 0-6-0 loco

Wikipedia says:

"Initially only four were built but, during World War I, a further fifteen were added, all of which had boilers six inches longer than the first four, making them generally more capable but two tonnes heavier"

This photo shows 52509 with a belpaire firebox in 1951 and the slotted spectacle plates.

But this photo shows the same loco in LMS days as 12509 with a round topped boiler and more of a jutting smokebox.

furness-railway-1-class-0-6-0-no12509-on

This was one of the later locos, so according to wikipedia had the larger boiler.

My question is; were any of them built with belpaire fireboxes or was it the LMS that rebuilt them as such? Were any FR locos fitted with belpaires by that company?

Well, judging by the photographs, I say the Belpaire firebox versions came around the time of the LMS days. Believe it or not, they are nice 0-6-0 tender engines, I like them along with the SER O/SECR O1 Class, the SECR C Class, the Midland Railway 3835 Class, the L&YR Class 25 and 27 0-6-0s, the LNWR 17in Coal Engine and 18in Goods 0-6-0s and the NER P3 Class 0-6-0.

If the FR wanted a mixed-traffic locomotive, they could modify the design into a 2-6-0 Mogul for mixed-traffic duties. Then again, it's all ipe dreams. Still, one could only imagine seeing a lcomotive like this working on a local passenger train on a sunny weekend. Considering only five of these bouncing babbies survived two world wars long into the BR nationalisation era, they were quite an interesting locomotive and still are.

What I said about the Mogul conversion - it would remind me of James the Red Engine so much. If anybody wanted a model of this for their layout or collection (I do both), then maybe it's worth asking Sparkshot if he could possibly work on a model of one.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 15/02/2018 at 02:05, Corbs said:

Hello,

The Class 1 0-6-0 loco

Wikipedia says:

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/FR0W1T/furness-railway-1-class-0-6-0-no12509-on-shed-FR0W1T.jpg

There is another photo of 12509 from the other side in the same condition in Railway Modeller 1996 November, in case you didn't know.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...