The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Toast, thermodynamics and moisture content

eastwestdivide

To me and many others, toast tastes toastier when done under a grill, one side at a time, than in a pop-up toaster. I think it's down to it coming out crisper from the grill, i.e. with less moisture, a theory also borne out by comparing new bread versus slightly stale bread toasted in a pop-up toaster.

I'm guessing that the heat of the grill on the top (1st) side forces moisture out of the bottom (2nd) side, whereas the heat from a toaster is from both sides, concentrating the moisture between the hardening outer layers.

Similarly, toast with butter seems way better than toast with spreads* that contain water which just gradually decrispifies the toast after about the second bite.

Anyone care to back any of this up or shoot it down, with actual science? I don't have a moisture meter to hand.

* I have no difficulty believing you’re not butter - Sheldon Cooper

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

To me and many others, toast tastes toastier when done under a grill, one side at a time, than in a pop-up toaster. I think it's down to it coming out crisper from the grill, i.e. with less moisture, a theory also borne out by comparing new bread versus slightly stale bread toasted in a pop-up toaster.

I'm guessing that the heat of the grill on the top (1st) side forces moisture out of the bottom (2nd) side, whereas the heat from a toaster is from both sides, concentrating the moisture between the hardening outer layers.

Similarly, toast with butter seems way better than toast with spreads* that contain water which just gradually decrispifies the toast after about the second bite.

Anyone care to back any of this up or shoot it down, with actual science? I don't have a moisture meter to hand.

* I have no difficulty believing you’re not butter - Sheldon Cooper

I always let my toast 'breathe' after it comes out of the toaster for much the same reason--to get rid of the water vapour, you can see the steam rise off it!

Then on goes the butter, but only once the water vapour has gone and the toast is warm but dry... mmmm.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

I agree regarding the grill and if faced with using the toaster a toast tent should be formed by placing the two slices in a pyramid form to evenly evaporate any moisture - lay one flat on a clean plate and lift it after 30 secs and you can see the problem.

And then we get onto what should be eaten on cold toast or warm toast.

• Like 2

I have a toast rack for such matters; and it does make a difference to the toast!

One word of warning - Don't go putting really thin hand sliced bread in the toaster on your usual "supermarket toaster bread" setting - The resultant flames can be quite surprising!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If I am feeling really indulgent, and have some thick sliced bread handy (cardiac arrest warning) - I whack up the deep fat fryer to max and drop a couple of slices in the hot oil for about 60 seconds. 

• Like 4

I am a carboniferous era toaster, looking for black on the outside, brown all the way through, ignition acceptable, no moisture, hot buttered (it puts out any combustion with very agreeable hissing sounds).

Acceptable toppings run the full gamut from Appelstroop with smoked bacon, Baked beans, Curry,  Damson Cheese, Eggs every which way, Fungi,, and I could drone on.

I like toast.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If I am feeling really indulgent, and have some thick sliced bread handy (cardiac arrest warning) - I whack up the deep fat fryer to max and drop a couple of slices in the hot oil for about 60 seconds. 

I think this is known as the 'Scottish' method.

• Like 1

And then we get onto what should be eaten on cold toast or warm toast.

Surely the only sensible thing to do with cold toast is to pretend you're really hard up and make yourself a toast sandwich?

Hmmm ... come to think of it, I haven't had one of those for donkey's.  I do believe I'm off to knock one up now ...

• RMweb Gold

The best toast was always done on the end of a toasting fork on an open fire. . . . grills and toasters don't come close.

John

Whilst in blast from the past mode, does anyone remember the toasting attachment which used to fit on the front of the Cannon Gas Miser gas fire?

Mike.

The best toast was always done on the end of a toasting fork on an open fire. . . . grills and toasters don't come close.

John

Unless (like me) you have not attached the bread to the toasting fork properly, and it drops onto the embers. 

• RMweb Premium

Toast from a grill definitely superior.

What troubles me more these days is that a slice from a typical sliced loaf seldom seems to fit fully in a toaster sold over here. So troubled by this was I that, for our last toaster purchase, I made a cardboard template (bread slice sized) and tried it in all the machines in the local ToastersRus emporium.

Talking to the sales assistant about toasters being too small for the good honest British sliced bread, he opinioned that most toasters are made outside the UK and in countries that have lesser, squared sliced bread. Their bread fits, ours doesn't. I think there's something in it.

Glad to get that off my chest. Beer calls.

• Like 3

Surely the only sensible thing to do with cold toast is to pretend you're really hard up and make yourself a toast sandwich?

Hmmm ... come to think of it, I haven't had one of those for donkey's.  I do believe I'm off to knock one up now ...

Cold toast is a delicacy all of its own - the way the butter remains in place rather than running up your arm. Especially good with marmalade.

But it has a limited life before it starts absorbing moisture again.

Hot or cold toast both excellent in different ways, but warm or lukewarm toast is a problem, as is hot toast served on a cold plate, causing condensation to form under the slices.

Bread should stale, thick sliced white, done under the grill to a well done GWR brown and topped with salted butter and plenty of thick cut marmalade, all washed down strong fresh black coffee. My wife seems to think just waving the limp bread in the vague direction of the toaster is enough, anything more and the "toast" will kill you.

Went to pick up some glass this morning. Whilst chatting to the guy in the office his wife came with their mid morning snack, toast hot and buttery, and coffee.

Mmmmm, by the time I got home I’d have made a pact with the devil for a piece of toast. Fortunately for my soul, we had the essential ingredients and equipment at hand.

• Like 2

Whilst in blast from the past mode, does anyone remember the toasting attachment which used to fit on the front of the Cannon Gas Miser gas fire?

No. But the Robinson Willy radiant gas fire that was in the house when we bought it, has a fitting to this purpose. I found it in the outhouse during the post move in clearance of previoous elderly occupant's stuff; and would have binned it had my MiL not recognised it. While the toast produced is excellent, the toaster operator's timing and handling has to be very good.

Dating from a time before all foodstuffs were totally banned from laboratories, I am pleased to tell you that toast made in a muffle furnace is also exceedingly good. (Chapattis, Naan and Pita breads were also very much at home in this device.) The flavour unmatched before or since, may have had something to do with the weekly fusion of at least forty urine samples in the same furnace. (It's all sterile once it's been up to at least 1200C...)

• Like 1