Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I had not been previously aware that the C.F. du Midi was a clothing-optional line. 

Quite. My thought was that they should at least advise potential passengers of the need to arrive fully dressed in London. 

• Agree 4

52 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Oops.....

I'll edit the comment!  😧

I always think that, if you cannot say it in an Edwardian drawing room, or in a Gilbert and Sullivan libretto, you cannot say it here!

Mind you, I try to apply that to much of my life, though, sometimes what's said in an Edwardian drawing room can be unexpected ... 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, tragic. I read his biography recently. The cover had his name printed in a curious black substance that, despite careful handling, gradually flaked away during the course of my reading. I don't know if that was deliberate, but it was one Hell of a metaphor either way. 

My copy has his name embossed in white on the front of the dust jacket, and printed in black over gold on the spine.  I've just given the lettering on the spine of the dustjacket a quick rub over and it seems pretty permanent.  Under the dust jacket, the cover is black all over, with the title, etc, printed in black on the spine*.  That seems to be permanent too.

You didn't buy your copy off CMOT Dibbler, did you?

if you cannot say it in an Edwardian drawing room, or in a Gilbert and Sullivan libretto, you cannot say it here!

G&S would come under the eagle eye of the Lord Chamberlain, so 21st century usage would be completely unusable, if it were understood.  In an Edwardian drawing room, it would depend on context, especially if the Ladies had not yet joined the Gentlemen after dinner...

* Very Lord Vetenari....

Edited by Hroth
Odds and ends
  • Funny 1

44 minutes ago, Hroth said:

My copy has his name embossed in white on the front of the dust jacket, and printed in black over gold on the spine.  I've just given the lettering on the spine of the dustjacket a quick rub over and it seems pretty permanent.  Under the dust jacket, the cover is black all over, with the title, etc, printed in black on the spine*.  That seems to be permanent too.

You didn't buy your copy off CMOT Dibbler, did you?

20230710_134851.jpg.b527d51ced611bc20cf0da46f777704b.jpg

G&S would come under the eagle eye of the Lord Chamberlain, so 21st century usage would be completely unusable, if it were understood. 

Just never swear a big, big, D

In an Edwardian drawing room, it would depend on context, especially if the Ladies had not yet joined the Gentlemen after dinner...

Other way round, surely?

Withdrawing Room = female space 

Dining room = male space (where things may be said among gentlemen after the ladies have withdrawn that could not be said in the drawing room). 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Hroth said:

G&S would come under the eagle eye of the Lord Chamberlain, so 21st century usage would be completely unusable, if it were understood.  In an Edwardian drawing room, it would depend on context, especially if the Ladies had not yet joined the Gentlemen after dinner...

In my thread one must assume the lady is present even when she isn't due to excessive sleepiness and/or the difference in time zones between Britain and New Zealand.

Edit:  With your bespoke designed book James I think somebody left some of the spokes out.  Though I must say that's a poor show and somebody must've slipped up badly with the quality of the ink they used.

Edited by Annie
More words needed.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Mumbling on the Hill goods yard.  It might need some more being frowned at, but I think it will do for now.

dgrpnek.jpg

And there was a strange sound I could hear behind the goods shed.  Not so much mumbling, - it was more like muttering.

I discovered that this poor chap was by himself trying to sort out the things that had been previously scattered all over the yard in a decidedly unrailway like manner.  Plainly I'm going to need to advertise for some more staff for Mumbling on the Hill.

2ewsurv.jpg

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Annie said:

Mumbling on the Hill goods yard.  It might need some more being frowned at, but I think it will do for now.

dgrpnek.jpg

And there was a strange sound I could hear behind the goods shed.  Not so much mumbling, - it was more like muttering.

I discovered that this poor chap was by himself trying to sort out the things that had been previously scattered all over the yard in a decidedly unrailway like manner.  Plainly I'm going to need to advertise for some more staff for Mumbling on the Hill.

2ewsurv.jpg

9 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

There's something about the buildings that gives Mumbling on the Hill an American or Canadian look. 

Made me think of Haverhill

image.png.1989885074d6b94d1d08b2cde44a5417.png

and Castle Headingham

image.png.e0a7ace0e99aea66013de22167bf6443.png

And thus very appropriate for one of Annie's little lines.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

There's something about the buildings that gives Mumbling on the Hill an American or Canadian look. 

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Made me think of Haverhill

image.png.1989885074d6b94d1d08b2cde44a5417.png

and Castle Headingham

image.png.e0a7ace0e99aea66013de22167bf6443.png

And thus very appropriate for one of Annie's little lines.

The goods shed was made by Ray Whiley from the creator group I belong to and it was based on plans by Ivor J Swain published in Model Railway News in August 1953.  I believe the plans were based on a timber built GWR goods shed, but I don't know which one.  With Ray Whiley's permission I made a new set of creosoted timber textures for his goods shed model and this is what you can see in the snaps I took at Mumbling on the Hill goods yard.

And I do agree that it's highly appropriate for my kind of little railways.

• Like 3

Perhaps it's related to the quotation on you 'signature' panel, Edwardian "Norfolk is cut off on three sides by the sea and on the fourth by the West Norfolk Railway" - E L Ahrons

I think it was perhaps the colouring that give it the Transatlantic look

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simonmcp said:

I think the goods shed looks very like the one at Wallingford or is it Watlington that was/is the one used for the Prototype card kit and also done as a resin building, both in OO.

It does look a lot like the one at  Watlington if this model kit is any guide.  https://www.pdmarshmodels.com/products/wgsn-4-watlington-goods-shed

The Prototype card kit is spot on as well, but at a much cheaper price.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I understand questions have been asked recently as to what exactly is NER Saxony Green.

I do know for certain that there's at least one NER engine on my collection that I've always had my doubts about

SBsUCBR.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/07/2023 at 13:53, Edwardian said:

20230710_134851.jpg.b527d51ced611bc20cf0da46f777704b.jpg

As for bespoke book design, yours has a certain original though somewhat errie quality to it. Could a book that slowly fades over time be regarded as a bonus? 

On 11/07/2023 at 10:52, Annie said:

dgrpnek.jpg

2ewsurv.jpg

With the amount of orange shown in the fellows costume,  it could be that he is convict labour, which would conform with Mike Oxon's  observation that the buildings have a American or Canadian look. To be in period however he would be required to be wearing a striped uniform.

29 minutes ago, rocor said:

As for bespoke book design, yours has a certain original though somewhat errie quality to it. Could a book that slowly fades over time be regarded as a bonus? 

Well, I assume it was coincidental, but the gradual, but accelerating, stripping away of the subject's identity was a very powerful metaphor in the context of a very poignant story. 

I do so hope Sir Terry is up there, with the angels, making an absolute bleeding nuisance of himself. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rocor said:

With the amount of orange shown in the fellows costume,  it could be that he is convict labour, which would conform with Mike Oxon's  observation that the buildings have a American or Canadian look. To be in period however he would be required to be wearing a striped uniform.

A certain hard working little chap is now in tears because he's been accused of being a convict when he's not.

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I do so hope Sir Terry is up there, with the angels, making an absolute bleeding nuisance of himself. 

I hope so too James. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

I didn't know that Aerolite had a glow in the dark option?

12 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Annie bought the Bachmann version

Yes it's fairly awful isn't it.  I've had it in my digital trainset box for quite a while now and it's rarely allowed out for obvious reasons.

Possibly a little better now after some quick texture colour adjustments, but it will need a bit more frowning at before I'm entirely happy with it.

a3NrmoO.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

After sleeping for most of the afternoon I did manage to do something useful and I finished tidying up Aerolite's texturing.

I found a possible reason for the incredible dayglow body colour.  The model's maker had made an attempt at weathering, but some of it came out like the kind of water stains you'd get in a hard water district, but in all the wrong places so it looked really odd.  Ramping up the glow made the 'water stains' invisible, but once I started working on modifying the body colour values all was revealed.  I ended up having to do some  shading and blending by hand on the main body textures to get rid of the worst of it.

VRJ1d6K.jpg

This 'what-if' version of Aerolite by the same maker was a lot worse though and it looked like someone had randomly splashed it with dilute whitewash making it look a right mess.  I did the texture revision a little differently to the 'as preserved' version and made the model look a bit more weathered just because I could.  I wasn't able to find this 0-4-4T 'G11' version yesterday as I'd filed it away somewhere else away from the rest of my NER locos and rolling stock.  Apart from a Tennant 2-4-0 and a BTP I don't have any other green NER engines apart from what you've already seen in my recent snaps.  Despite their age as very early models for Trainz my Bouch 4-4-0's are still my favourites and after a little fettling they run very nicely in TANE and TRS22.

YIDZ7S3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2